Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: the best grenade  (Read 1372 times)

Offline penguinman

• Contributing Member
  • Money is worthless, just paper, ink, and threads
the best grenade
« on: 16 Mar 2005, 22:14:06 »
hello,

I have searched alot of mods like flashFX and ecp and y2k3
but though i found lots of great stuff, i have yet to find a realistic hand grenade explosion,  

http://www.ofpec.com/yabbse/index.php?board=14;action=display;threadid=22599
scroll down this page and you will find a pic of a real frag grenade exploding, its the first pic.

now my question is what is the best effect mod, that most accuratly replicates this grenade explosion.

if there is none, could sombody please just make a new explosion effect for the hand grenade that is realistic.

thanks
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2005, 22:14:57 by penguinman »

Kyle Sarnik

Re:the best grenade
« Reply #1 on: 17 Mar 2005, 00:33:13 »
hello,

I have searched alot of mods like flashFX and ecp and y2k3
but though i found lots of great stuff, i have yet to find a realistic hand grenade explosion,  

http://www.ofpec.com/yabbse/index.php?board=14;action=display;threadid=22599
scroll down this page and you will find a pic of a real frag grenade exploding, its the first pic.

now my question is what is the best effect mod, that most accuratly replicates this grenade explosion.

if there is none, could sombody please just make a new explosion effect for the hand grenade that is realistic.

thanks

The problem is, all explosions in OFP use the same exact effect, only the size is changed. So in order for your hand grenade explosion to be different, you would A. Have to change ALL of your explosions to that effect  , or B. Use a hell of a lot of scripting/cfg'n to pull it off

I mean it can be done, but its hard, and it takes a Looooong time to get it right man, thats one of the reasons the explosions are bad in the first place (by bad I mean bad in your opinion, since I think FlashFX has really good explosions). Now if you can find someone who can cfg/script new, non overriding, realistic explosions, and is willing to help (ex. not someone whos in a mod who only does work for that mod), then for god sake tell me  ;D I want to meet him.

Grunt249

« Reply #2 on: 17 Mar 2005, 07:24:26 »
One option for "realistic" frag grenade effects are those included in the CoC Mines. The mines use fragments and not blast or heat to kill or wound the soldier. Maybe there is a way to make new effects similar to this and tie them into the grenade addon, or you can kindly ask the permission from CoC to use their current effects, and give them credit in the addon.

For more information about the CoC Mines addon, visit http://www.website.thechainofcommand.net/CoC%20Mines.htm or download http://www.downloads.thechainofcommand.net/zips/COC_Mines.zip. The POMZ-2M and P40 "Apple" are good examples that give fragment effects in a full perimeter.

Offline penguinman

• Contributing Member
  • Money is worthless, just paper, ink, and threads
« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2005, 01:37:12 »
ya kyle, why dont you do that, that would be cool,

just make your frg explosion the flashbang explosion except change the smoke to brown so it will look like dust.

then put cocs scripts in it.

Offline ryankaplan

• Members
  • yeah...
« Reply #4 on: 04 Apr 2005, 18:45:19 »
kyle i was wondering what the new grenade types were. I would really like to see;
1) white phosphorus : used in vietnam, looks like white smoke but is 4000 Celcius degrees hot.
2) defensive frag grenades : frag grenades with a huge blast radious and a longer timer (not more damaging though), you're supposed to be behind cover when it's thrown hence the term defensive.  

if you want i can find pictures of the effects or information about these grenades then i can gladly help.

good luck

Dubieman

« Reply #5 on: 08 Apr 2005, 03:48:49 »
I thought I'd add that COC mines use a weird system to sim shrapnel, but when I thought about it, it seemed pretty good. In my expierence, when the mines go off a bunch of bullets are camcreated in a circle and then radiate out like ripples on a pond. Not very destructive, but a good sim.

Otherwise, I like ECP or reg BIS (even if they go off on contact) grenades. But in gameplay, I usually don't care, its one of those "just chuck the damn thing!"...

White phosphouros (can't spell) could piggyback on some scripting I saw for napalm. Just change the drop effect.
« Last Edit: 08 Apr 2005, 03:50:02 by GuiltyRoachKillar »