Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: M2 .50 cal accuracy  (Read 1845 times)

Dubieman

M2 .50 cal accuracy
« on: 11 Jul 2005, 17:06:44 »
I'm just wondering out loud, but I've tried some addons with different sounds for the m2 that sound great, much better than the BIS sound. But I'm wondering if the M2 is as accurate at long range as it is in OFP?

For instance I could be 500m away and just aim down the sights and pop one shot kill. I've heard that .50s just keep firing away, its very hard to do one shots and I question the accuaracy of the BIS gun and I haven't seen anyone modify that part of the weapon. So does anyone actually know how accurate the m2 .50 is? The BIS m2 is comparable to a laser IMO, with 500 blasts... :P

Karik

Re:M2 .50 cal accuracy
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jul 2005, 19:14:52 »
I dont know about M2, but Eastern-block counterpart heavy machinegun (12.7 mm) is very accurate. You can easily hit human size targets to 700 metres and larger targets to 1000m, even with basic sights (done that). Again I dont know about M2 but with NSV-12.7 it is easy to fire single shots.

Few pictures so you can see what weapon Im talking about;

http://www.mil.fi/maavoimat/kalustoesittely/index.dsp?level=54&equipment=73

Seen also of course in FDF-mod.
« Last Edit: 11 Jul 2005, 19:20:12 by Karik »

Dubieman

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jul 2005, 21:49:10 »
Hmm, interesting. For some reason I'm still thinking that being a large caliber gun, the M2 wouldn't be very accurate, same with the 12.7, but maybe I'm wrong. :P

Is it the fact that the bullets fired are fast enough and large enough to hold their straight line for 500+ meters? Or a combo of that and an extended barrel?
I do know the mounting of the weapon on a tripod or something does wonders for aiming it.  It's just that I feel like I'm shooting a laser whenever I man a M2 in OFP or am being shot at by a laser when I fight an enemy M2.  :P

I figured the 12.7 was comparable to the M2 since I've seen/used it a lot in Sebnam plus its used pretty much in any country getting weapons from Russia or the USSR when it was still around.

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #3 on: 11 Jul 2005, 22:30:09 »
Well, it is usually way easier to hit enemies with BIS weapons than it would be with a real weapon. The M2 doesn't seem to have as much dispersion between rounds as a regular m2 on full auto does. But I think the main reason it is so easy to hit is that with the BIS m2 you get a sniper-scope, whereas on a regular m2 you just have ironsights (since it would be hard to peer down a scope with the gun on full auto).

HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Karik

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jul 2005, 12:03:02 »
Is it the fact that the bullets fired are fast enough and large enough to hold their straight line for 500+ meters? Or a combo of that and an extended barrel?

Im not expert about ballistics, I only can tell what I have experienced. Gun I was firing was mounted
on vehicle (Nasu; http://tietokannat.mil.fi/kalustoesittely/media/1109326329_Dia_SisuNA-140BT.JPG) and its accuracy was surprising even I had heard that about it. I think that bullet is so powerful because large caliber that it doenst loose velocity quickly and goes straight. ( But as I said Im not an expert, just guessing)

In my previous link there is a text in finnish; "Suurin ampumaetäisyys: ilmamaalit 1500 m, pintamaalit 2000 m". Translated it means "Maximum firing distance: air targets 1500 m, ground targets 2000 m". So distance of 500-700 m is almost short range.:)
« Last Edit: 12 Jul 2005, 12:03:59 by Karik »

Dubieman

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jul 2005, 15:29:14 »
Well looks like the 12.7 and the M2 are very accurate then. Answers my question. :)

#solved

Oh yea, in the pic, I feel bad for the saps that have to march along with the vehicle while its driver is prolly sitting there with a heater blowing in his face. ;D