Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Need help with simple triggers  (Read 1281 times)

DekklinOfDeath

Need help with simple triggers
« on: 22 Mar 2005, 02:08:51 »
Uhmmm... I'm a complete noob at this, I'm trying to set up a (Single Player) mission where I and a AI unit get into an M2A2 Bradley and drive to a town where a squad of 6 gets in and I drive to another town to deliver them (then they run off into the forest), all the while encountering infantry and BMP's and stuff (which I just have to place, not make triggers for. For some reason, waypoints dont show up for me either, and I dont know how to type in the Briefing/objectives or make the units get into my vehicle, or out...

Could anyone help me with this?
« Last Edit: 22 Mar 2005, 02:31:33 by DekklinOfDeath »

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
Re:Need help with simple triggers
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2005, 02:39:00 »
Head on over to the Editors Depot and avail yourself of the many tutorials there that will help you.

Have a good look round there........link is at the top of the page under the banner.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

DekklinOfDeath

« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2005, 02:52:10 »
I have looked there, it didnt really help... It never tells me anything there, it just always give downloads, what is a .sqm file???
« Last Edit: 22 Mar 2005, 02:55:39 by DekklinOfDeath »

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2005, 02:55:02 »
Try some of these........here:

http://www.ofpec.com/editors/browse.php?category=1_1

Edit:  An .sqm file is the actual mission file and it is always called mission.sqm

Planck
« Last Edit: 22 Mar 2005, 03:03:37 by Planck »
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline sharkyjoe

• Members
  • Have you taken a BMP out at 500 meters??
« Reply #4 on: 22 Mar 2005, 02:55:21 »
Sadly to say, :( You need to read the Tutes in the Editors Depot on begining first missions. The one you are suggesting to start with sounds like a good one. I would read the Tutes 1st. Then I would place West guys in your truck?? Then drive down road and pick up your other guys. You may want to download or have The OFP Comand Referance Manual handy, cause your going to have to have Coding in there to do what you want to do( no biggy tho). Do One step at a time. Find out The commnads for Group join and player join. Dont put in the AI-East yet.  Then drive down the road and have your guys get out and use group null. Next have them run into the forrest. There is a little more to it than that but One step at a time. Try stuff out. See if it works. You always can come back here to ask questions. People here are nice and try to help ya out. Tutes-start mission making- try stuff out- ask questions. Hope this helps.
Oh ya turn your Mission Map Maker to Advance in the right top corner. That always gets me.  :) Good Luck
Remember the 7 Ps??--- Proper Previous Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance

DekklinOfDeath

« Reply #5 on: 22 Mar 2005, 04:25:00 »
Unfortunately, this still isnt covering what I need, nothing is telling me how to get guys to board my APC. Maybe I'm just not cut out to make maps, but damn, I wish I could make this map.

I dont suppose I could ask any of you guys to make it could I? Please?
« Last Edit: 22 Mar 2005, 04:25:29 by DekklinOfDeath »

Offline sharkyjoe

• Members
  • Have you taken a BMP out at 500 meters??
« Reply #6 on: 22 Mar 2005, 06:45:03 »
Down load the Script by Vortrog "Joining Player units or small groups Vortrog 1.0 " note where ya put it.
Create four guys, one of them you Rank you as Captian, your name mygrp1. the others lower ranks and mygrp2, mygrp3 for each one you create."Alt-tab"- out.

Find the Vortrog Script. Highlight and Copy the the whole second line in that tells ya what use in the Executable.
Go into game and Create Trigger set it Radio Alpha- Once go down to the On Activation and use the "ctrl" key and then "v' key to paste the script in there. If that doesnt work type in the the whole 2nd line of [mygpr1,...] exec "leader.sqs". save game. Group test. press "Alt-tab"- out.
Now find your mission folders,click on and open these,probably??, "C hard drive"-"programs"-"codemasters"-"operationflashpoint"- then down to folder says- "user"-"your name "-"missions"-"Group test". Copy and paste the Whole Script of Vortrogs into this area and name it leader.sqs
dont close anything up it will run. Now go back into game map making of ofp. hit preview. hit "M" for map radio should be there clickon alpha. guys should join you. I tried this out and it worked. Translating all this to writting is tough but this is very close. Long day. Good luck.   :)
Remmber, Step by step, Search, find, test, then ask.
Remember the 7 Ps??--- Proper Previous Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance

PrejudiceSucks

« Reply #7 on: 22 Mar 2005, 09:22:58 »
To get these 6 guys into the Bradley, there is one way that I know.

Give them all names (not inventive ones, just say what they are) in the 'Name' field of their unit window (By this I mean the thing when you create/edit units).

Lets call them AI1, AI2, AI3, AI4, AI5 and AI6.

Call the M2 AV1.

(AI = American Infantry, AV = American Vehicle)

Now in their Initialisation box, put in

AI(number of troop) AssignasCargo AV1

And then merely make them a 'Get In' waypoint, Syncronised to the waypoint AFTER the one you want them to get in on.

It might sond hard, but it's very easy once you've done it a couple of times.

Oh and download ComRef, that will tell you all of the commands that you can make (very useful).

DekklinOfDeath

« Reply #8 on: 22 Mar 2005, 20:33:49 »
Wow! They actually got in! Thanks!  So now I set up a second MOVE waypoint for me and when I get there, I syncronized another waypoint for them, GET OUT. But they dont get out... Any idea why?

EDIT: They only get out if I switch places with one of them that are in the back seat so one of them becomes the driver, then they get out... strange

EDIT: Never mind, there is a TRANSPORT UNLOAD waypoint thing... I'll be back later if I ask another question
« Last Edit: 22 Mar 2005, 21:40:12 by DekklinOfDeath »

DekklinOfDeath

« Reply #9 on: 22 Mar 2005, 21:47:57 »
Ok, here is my next question: Do you remember how, in the game after you dropped guys off from the BlackHawk, you had a waypoint to go back to the airfield? And you fly in that direction but all of a sudden, someone radios for help and you get a NEW waypoint? I was thinking I wanted to do something along those lines... I'll check the Editors Center, but any help would be appreciated, I think its something to do with switch triggers...

Here is what I really want my mission to look like at the end...
http://www.ofpec.com/yabbse/index.php?board=22;action=display;threadid=22773
« Last Edit: 22 Mar 2005, 22:07:38 by DekklinOfDeath »

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
« Reply #10 on: 22 Mar 2005, 22:07:09 »
you're on the right track :)

just be sure you synchronise the switch trigger with the waypoint before the waypoint you want to switch to. i was doing it wrong up to about a month ago without realising, synchronising the trigger with the waypoint i wanted to switch to  :-\

and don't be afraid to ask, even if you consider the question noobish. you may get directed to the many tutorials in the ed depot, and they are good and cover almost everything - definitely the best place to start any endeavour - but some may be a wee bit tricky to understand or get the hang of. which is why all these Wise Ones are around ;)

DekklinOfDeath

« Reply #11 on: 22 Mar 2005, 22:18:47 »
I dont know how to get the trigger to activate, do I make it activate on a timer? After I travel a certain distance? If so, how do I make it do that?