Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] Red Tide  (Read 30769 times)

Offline sharkyjoe

• Members
  • Have you taken a BMP out at 500 meters??
Re:Red Tide
« Reply #165 on: 01 Jun 2005, 03:28:33 »
Ok I Finnally get to Test your Mission out Thanks to Mikero's little help Site.
This will be quick since sooo Many have reviewed it.

Overview- Good

Intro- Oh WOW  :o Man.... Great Job!!! I loved it.

Briefing-Everthing looked and seemed good to me.

Mission- Well I'm not marching right into the Base. Go West hit a Patrol make it up to hill looking over base. I line my guys up shot. Died. From behind. Urrhhaa!! Good one. Fast forward to 4th or 5th try. ERROR as I die on the road to base by a mini patrol. Error-' (grouploon select_1)knowsabout(_playerloon select_J).?#? 15' Error Zero division.???. It only did that once, because I started from the same place couple more times.
 Fast Forward- took base down. Darn Hunter killer script must be, hide over hill shot, run and hide in the woods shot, finnally Hide in Base?? No-way I'll get chewed up spit out. It worked!!! Held base. :D End.

Stats-1760 19min game but really 45 min real time. Few E. Loons  1 peral.

Outro - Very nice! Really liked it. This is a good Mission :thumbsup:

Thanks Mikero for the little helper web site Again!! ;D
« Last Edit: 01 Jun 2005, 03:50:33 by sharkyjoe »
Remember the 7 Ps??--- Proper Previous Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #166 on: 01 Jun 2005, 03:42:27 »
Thanks for the review, sharkyjoe

Thank you for pointing out the error.  I had forgotten about it.  I think the error is caused only when the player dies before his group has been detected.  I have now added a line in the script telling the script to exit if the player is dead.

I am glad you liked the mission.

Thanks
Mikero
for the little helper web site Again!!
Yes, I have to add my thanks here, too.

>I think that is all that stands in the way of me releasing the next version

that and UberFuhruer MacGuba
lol

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #167 on: 01 Jun 2005, 03:52:27 »
>Thanks Mikero
>for the little helper web site Again!!

trust me, to see you active on the board again because of that site is all the reward i need, but thank you anyway.

Just say no to bugz

Offline MrN

• Contributing Member
  • Pffff
« Reply #168 on: 03 Jun 2005, 21:01:31 »
Benchmark 6410, ECP, Vet mode, no super AI, cheat saves

Haven't read the whole thread so forgive me if I'm stating the obvious.

Overview- good, nice pic

Intro - Ooooooh. Nice one, a lot of care and attention gone in here.

Briefing/Notes- Briefing is all good and the Intel, this is getting interesting with the radiomen.
One thing that slightly jarred with me was the mention of counter-attacks from Entre Deux and Chotain. I would have preferred it to say something like " I have to watch for Counter attacks from…" as opposed to " hope I can stop the counter attacks from…" . I thought it implied a little of how this was made as opposed to how it plays. That's being very picky though in an otherwise perfect setup.

Mission- It is apparent that I've spent too much time in the editor and not playing this damn game.  :-X This took quite A FEW retries. ;)

First time I decide to go west then south and have to resort to  shoot and move tactics after one of my loons gets spotted and all hell breaks loose. Notice lookout posts being manned after alarm goes off, nice touch and I'm glad that alarm isn't looping.

Tanks come barrelling down the hill and take out most of my squad, an option to surrender appears. Nope. They'll never take me alive. They don't. I die.

Restart and head up the beach for a full on assault. Get spotted, lose a few, sneak round the back pinch some grenades from the trucks and fire up the base. Sneak back around to see the tanks at the base. Go to get my RPG ready and hit surrender by mistake. Nice little outro plays and I'm gutted. I was just getting into it, what about having surrender as a radio call instead? It's too easy to hit it in the action menu.

Same tactic next time but lose most of my squad on the way in. Not a noble strategy I know but I ended up hugging the fence on the southern end of the base and shooting from there. My entire squad has died. Finished off a few stragglers and mission ended. Outro played, nice one.

Slick and well presented are my impressions. It's quite tough and the loons have an uncanny nack of knowing where I am but that's a good thing! I don't know the history of this mission but this version seems pretty top notch to me.

:thumbsup:
In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #169 on: 03 Jun 2005, 21:37:46 »
I would have preferred it to say something like " I have to watch for Counter attacks from…" as opposed to " hope I can stop the counter attacks from…" . I thought it implied a little of how this was made as opposed to how it plays.
Good point, I agree with you, I'll change it.

Thanks for the review, MrN!  I am glad you enjoyed it.

@all
I am sorry for the delay.  I have been busy with another project

I think once I am done with the translation, I will submit the mission to the missions depot.  This mission's beta testing has gone on for a long time, and I think it's about time to move on.  Thanks to everyone for beta-testing the mission!

-Student Pilot

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #170 on: 04 Jun 2005, 10:37:38 »
>I thought it implied a little of how this was made as opposed to how it plays.

wow! This is one of my pet hates, and I missed it. Good one MrN

:D :D
Just say no to bugz

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #171 on: 06 Jun 2005, 04:30:22 »
Red Tide has been submited to the missions depot.
File size: 371 kb

List of changes includes:
1: Now in Portuguese! (Due to OFP's lack of support for the Portuguese language, I have had to make a seperate mission pbo to accomodate the language, hence the larger mission size)
2: The sandbag wall has been moved to the other side of the entrance
3: The flag has been moved more to the middle of the base
4: The H has been moved closer to the road
5: All the men in the base have been put on SAFE mode
6: A delay has been added to the soldiers coming out of the buildings, now they won't come out as the alarm sounds
7: I spotted an error in the alarm script, now it is fixed
8: The M2 reman script should now work properly
9: Empty civilian vehicles have been added to the towns and houses in the country
10: There are now civilian militia in one of the groups from Entre Duex
11: After the alarm sounds, the group from Entre Deux with the civil militia will stop in the town and take on 4 more civil militia.  Then they will proceed to attack the player
12: Briefing notes changed from "hope I can stop the counter attacks from…" to  "I have to watch for Counter attacks from…"
13: Comments added to some scripts

I didn't change the BMP scene in the win outro, and I haven't commented all the scripts.  I will probably not change these two items, as I don't have as much free time as I used to, and all this mission adjusting is getting a little tedious to me with no really obvious benefit.

Note to any remaining beta-testers:
This version will most likely be my release version.  If any of you test the mission, all I am looking for is to make sure no error messages show up.  I am not looking for suggestions to improve the mission any further.  If I get no replies to this thread saying there are errors in the mission, plan on me submiting the mission by Wednesday or Thursday.

Thanks to all the beta-testers who have tested the mission!
« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2005, 21:13:23 by Student Pilot »

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #172 on: 06 Jun 2005, 10:54:22 »
>Due to OFP's lack of support for the Portuguese

I thought it was just a case of adding to the end of the csv strings?

If not, this is a seriously bad oversight to be restricted to 6 or so.

btw, that would not be true of the two html files, they would 'understand' html.whatever

« Last Edit: 06 Jun 2005, 10:55:45 by Mikero »
Just say no to bugz

Offline wcrvieira

• Former Staff
« Reply #173 on: 06 Jun 2005, 14:30:05 »
Well there is a way to put OFP recognizing Portuguese Briefings and Overviews... but I lost the post where Macguba said that (guess was him)...

OK! I will try this mission as soon as my tests are over and my ankle gets better! I cant sit because any movement I make my ankle hurts... ByeBye training!

Wish you luck with the mission, and any problem with the Portuguese translation just ask ok?
BTW how are your flight lessons going on? Hope well

Well cya lads..take care...me back to books!
BV

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #174 on: 06 Jun 2005, 14:59:14 »
I downloaded Macguba's Um-Impossible mission, and in his readme he said something like: For users whose language is not supported by OFP, rename the briefing and overview to briefing.english.html and overview.english.html, and then rename your language's briefing and overview to briefing.html and overview.html.  

Of course, his exact words were much better than what I remember ::)

So in short, I did that for the player already.  All the player has to do is install the pbo and play the mission ;)

I'll be sure to ask if any problems with the translation come up.

-Student Pilot

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #175 on: 07 Jun 2005, 05:15:07 »
Not too keen to tell you anythng further because you might change it again! ;D

liked the flag carrying soldier and the civilian militia enhanced this mission even further. That was a very nice improvement indeed. Soon as I saw them I then became much more aware of it being a russian invasion of an independent country rather than just-another them vs nato. Very nice indeed.

Only played it straight, and took the base etc. It remains a favorite mission of mine and I'm off to attack the towns first (but I'm not going to report how i got on)

elements of hunt the last loon at end, all my squad dead and last three loons were
 one lying down behind machine gun east side, only reacted when i got near him

one in extreme sw corner standing as if he was in the lookout at some point

one on other side of the sw corner lying hidden in bush (there were two, but 1st was swiped very early in mission). these two 'normally' come round corner. They didn't this time. (safe mode?)

outro did no show any LST, that's up to you, and, my favorite bit with the parked wrecks and radiation signs was very short and very blurred. A shame.

As far as the portuguese is concerned, I would have fudged that and made it 'Spanish', so that it could remain as a single pbo. Most of them speak or understand the other's language enough to make it a slamn dunk integration for game play. You'd get a bit of huffing and pufffing from both sides of the fence but it would ultimately make it better integrated. It's not your fault ofp is primitive in this regard.
Just say no to bugz

Offline wcrvieira

• Former Staff
« Reply #176 on: 07 Jun 2005, 12:49:04 »
As far as the portuguese is concerned, I would have fudged that and made it 'Spanish', so that it could remain as a single pbo. Most of them speak or understand the other's language enough to make it a slamn dunk integration for game play. You'd get a bit of huffing and pufffing from both sides of the fence but it would ultimately make it better integrated. It's not your fault ofp is primitive in this regard.

*cough* *cough* Well are you living in XX century?
Portuguese people dont speak spanish (only people next to the fronteers) and yes we understand as good as spanish people understand portuguese.
= 0 in military terms... ask a spanish guy if he knows how to say recon and all those things in portuguese...

Cya...just to say that!
BV

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #177 on: 07 Jun 2005, 13:09:46 »
Pretty much irrelevant PT in terms of integrating 'a' language into a common pbo. You could choose French for all I'd care. A single file to maintain, and a single comment in the ReadMe to say "if you want the Pongolian version of this mission, select 'spanish' in your config.

simple as that.
Just say no to bugz

Offline wcrvieira

• Former Staff
« Reply #178 on: 07 Jun 2005, 13:12:30 »
yeah but Mikero thats my problem...
I dunno how to put portuguese in the config!!!

Cya

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #179 on: 07 Jun 2005, 14:06:42 »
elements of hunt the last loon at end, all my squad dead and last three loons were
one lying down behind machine gun east side, only reacted when i got near him
This guy usually survives the M2 exploding, so I usually take him out as I enter the base.  If I don't he usually shoots me.  I'm not sure why he was shy around you.

one in extreme sw corner standing as if he was in the lookout at some point
The idiot probably fell down ::)

one on other side of the sw corner lying hidden in bush (there were two, but 1st was swiped very early in mission). these two 'normally' come round corner. They didn't this time. (safe mode?)
Are you sure it was the sw corner?

THobson suggested something in one of his earlier posts, and I think I will implement it.  He suggested a script that joins one group to another when the number of soldiers in the group gets low.  I think I will set a trigger to fire the script when a certain number of soldiers are left in the base.

outro did no show any LST, that's up to you, and, my favorite bit with the parked wrecks and radiation signs was very short and very blurred. A shame.
I'll see what I can do to lengthen it

I was thinking of originally doing this, but then I read the readme to Macguba's Un-Impossible mission.  Also, do most portuguese people play with the Spanish settings, or the english ones?