Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: non hurting explosions??  (Read 2443 times)

supergruntsb78

non hurting explosions??
« on: 24 Feb 2005, 04:00:00 »
is there anyway i can create explosions at a certain area without doing any harm ??

its for a training mission so i just want the explosion effects without getting anybody killed or injured

Dubieman

Re:non hurting explosions??
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2005, 04:13:54 »
Maybe make it underground or use Heat shells. When fired from a tank they do some serious high explosive damage, but when camcreated, they do barely anything unless you get hit right on the head.

In my experience:
camcreated:
sabot: dangerous to many around it, spread out damage
heat: good for effects, no good for killing over area

shot from tank:
sabot: kills tanks, concentrated
heat: spread out infantry killer

Hope that helps. ;)

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2005, 08:15:42 »
I would favour the underground idea

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2005, 10:15:46 »
Or use drop...
Not the most simpliest solution though... ::)
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

Offline ACF

• Members
  • Llama?? Ain't that French for tanks?
« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2005, 14:43:23 »
To quantify the situation, OFP ammunition has three parameters that determine the damage it causes:

hit
   indirectHit
   indirectHitRange

For the BIS shell/HEAT classes:

IHR   H   IH
Shell73   8   100   90
Shell105   8   150   110
Shell120   8   200   150
Shell125   8   180   100
HEAT73   1   400   100
HEAT105   1   450   150
HEAT120   1   700   300
HEAT125   1   600   300

'Hit' defines the size of the flash and 'indirectHit' defines the size of the crater.
The above bit is configured fact. As they stand, they are out of synch with real life as HEAT's got the explosive in it, not sabot. I shall say no more on that for the moment as I have confused myself a bit - I know there's an illogical switching between HEAT and sabot in the tanks in-game but I can't remember where exactly!

Anyway, for least-dangerous FX, HEAT class rounds would be the best bet - big flash but minimal area effect.

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: 24 Feb 2005, 15:30:31 »
Note also that if you camcreate a Shell120 you get a HEAT120, and I believe vice versa.

Offline ACF

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 24 Feb 2005, 15:41:09 »
I'm pretty certain you'll get exactly what you camcreate, and that it's the tank ammo designations that are arse-about-face.  I need to dig about a bit, but I dimly recall there's a big clue in the stringtable but that's not in with the commented configs.

Offline RujiK

• Members
  • KoKo Puh-Fizzles!
« Reply #7 on: 24 Feb 2005, 16:45:18 »
Drop will be the only soloution in my knowledge.

Putting an explosion underground will not take away the dammage, however this could work if you are far away.
I like your approach, lets see your departure.
Download the New Flashlight Script!

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #8 on: 24 Feb 2005, 16:49:54 »
Why not have a damaging explosion but with eventhandlers and setdammage 0 loops to repair the units?
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #9 on: 24 Feb 2005, 16:55:46 »
I'm pretty certain you'll get exactly what you camcreate, and that it's the tank ammo designations that are arse-about-face.
You could well be right.  I based my comment on the arse about face designations you refer to, plus I thought the sound of a camcreated shell120 was very much like a HEAT.  I have done no real investigation into this.

Dubieman

« Reply #10 on: 24 Feb 2005, 16:57:57 »
Thobson, your idea would explain why the shells & heats are screwed up. I always wondered why sabots are so damn explosive when created and heats are basically worthless for killing. Though I agree with ACF, they aren't mixed up, something is wrong and they have different values or something...somewhere. :P Wish I had proof. ::)

@Macguba, sabot tends to "throw" things, may look odd to see ppl/vehicles moving about and then going back to full health. :-\
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2005, 16:58:53 by GuiltyRoachKillar »

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #11 on: 24 Feb 2005, 17:15:49 »
they aren't mixed up
Well they are actually mixed up the quesiton is how much.  If you remove the mags from a tank and then addMagazine shell120 you will get a full loadout of HEATs, if you addMagazine Heats you get a full loadout of Sabots.  I had assumed that this arse about face assignment also carried over into camcreate as well, ACF says he thinks otherwise.  As my view was little more than a guess I am happy to go along with him.

There is certainly something different about the camcreated explosions I agree.  Camcreating a LAW or RPG at the location of a Bradley doesn't even cause it to pause for thought.  Hitting a Bradley with a real one killes the damn thing.
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2005, 17:18:55 by THobson »

Dubieman

« Reply #12 on: 24 Feb 2005, 17:34:08 »
Now that I think about it, yes they are mixed, I just...well zoned out for some posts. :o ;D

I'll take a look in the editor and see what happens. :P

And about the bradley and RPGs/LAWs being camcreated...
Maybe the speed of the rocket influences how much damage it can do. Penetration damage maybe.... :-\

Since simply detonating a RPG on a bradley armor wouldn't do too much compared to a flying rocket. :P

Offline ACF

• Members
« Reply #13 on: 24 Feb 2005, 17:49:47 »
There is certainly something different about the camcreated explosions I agree.  Camcreating a LAW or RPG at the location of a Bradley doesn't even cause it to pause for thought.  Hitting a Bradley with a real one killes the d**n thing.
I think that's the [direct]Hit in action - if it's camcreated at the Bradley's position the ground takes the [direct]Hit and the paint gets scuffed by the feeble indirectHit. If you fire AT the Bradley, it takes the punch.

My earliest gripe with OFP was the 'sabot' available to BMPs - the 'gun' on a BMP is only a glorified RPG. Then to find that sabot rounds (pointy bits of solid metal in real life) had the effect of a mini-Hiroshima (depleted uranium just doesn't work like that) while HEAT (emphasis on the HE) merely irritated nearby infantry set me on a quest.  Looking into it exposed a bit of a nightmare.

I got as far as a config that uses simulation shotBullet for tank sabot rounds (for lovely tracers!) and shotShell for HEAT. The biggest problem was that shotBullet doesn't give the main gun flash, smoke and recoil and I was too dense to work out how to do it.  I then sunk in the quagmire of marrying up round damage v armour values.

HEAT should have a significant indirectHit effect both to kill soft targets and to simulate its 'less-reliable' performance (relative to sabot. The latter should pretty much kill what it hits and nowt else. But I'm going round in circles now.

If anyone's [still] interested, I think the damage is done by the bold bits:

class Shell73 : Default
   {
      //--
      scopeWeapon = private;
      scopeMagazine = public;

displayName = $STR_DN_SHELL;
      displayNameMagazine = $STR_MN_SHELL;
      shortNameMagazine = $STR_SN_SHELL;
      nameSound="shell";

ammo=Shell73;
      count=15;
      initSpeed=700;

reloadTime=16.0;
      sound[]={Weapons\gun73,db20,1};
      reloadSound[]={Weapons\reload,db-60,1};
      ffCount=1;
   };
   class Heat73: Shell73
   {
      //--
      ammo=Heat73;
      displayName = $STR_DN_HEAT;
      displayNameMagazine = $STR_MN_HEAT;
      shortNameMagazine = $STR_SN_HEAT;
      nameSound="heat";

};

Can't wait to get home and check now!

supergruntsb78

« Reply #14 on: 24 Feb 2005, 19:54:41 »
i can remember some mod having training grenades they didnt hurt anybody but i cant figure out wich mod it was  :-\

supergruntsb78

« Reply #15 on: 27 Feb 2005, 03:20:10 »
hmmmmmm nobody knows a answer?  come on guys please i need them desperty and im a scripting idiot so please help me  (dresses up like poor old woman and bags to be helped)

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #16 on: 27 Feb 2005, 08:44:46 »
If you camcreate a grenade at [x,y,-100] (Play about with the -100 number).  You will create an explosion that doesn't hurt.

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #17 on: 27 Feb 2005, 09:28:39 »
You can easily config an explosion (or grenades) that don't hurt, but from the mission editor point of view there is not much other choice that drop...
(or that underground explosion, which might not always work...)

Altough configging couple of 'hurtless' grenades would make the AddOn to be about 2kb in size that would not be a huge download ::)
Just change hit and indirectHit values to 0...

If anyone's [still] interested, I think the damage is done by the bold bits:
Eh???
Those are just the ammo/weapon names that are shown in varius places, like in the tanks HUD, rearming actions etc...
nameSound="shell" makes the commander say 'Sabot' when you select the Sabot and nameSound="heat" makes the commander say 'Heat'...
The '$STR' means it refers to a stringtable.csv where all the BIS weapon etc names are (all stings, hence the stringtable...)...

The damage is done by hit and indirectHit (indirectHit is in collaboration of indirectHitRange of course) in the CfgAmmo class, not in CfgWeapons...
« Last Edit: 27 Feb 2005, 09:30:33 by HateR_Kint »
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

Dubieman

« Reply #18 on: 27 Feb 2005, 18:11:05 »
ECP included "fused" grenade ppl in the ECP mod. They were just basic soldiers with working rifles and dud grenades. Is that what you're looking for?

Also check the ed depot, I thought Ktotte and someone else made the kind of grenades you're looking for...
« Last Edit: 27 Feb 2005, 18:11:56 by GuiltyRoachKillar »

Offline ACF

• Members
« Reply #19 on: 27 Feb 2005, 22:09:02 »
nameSound="shell" makes the commander say 'Sabot' when you select the Sabot and nameSound="heat" makes the commander say 'Heat'...
The '$STR' means it refers to a stringtable.csv where all the BIS weapon etc names are (all stings, hence the stringtable...)
That's what you'd think (not 'you' personally, just another turn of phrase! The offending 'damage' should be read as 'damage to the reality of the simulation', not 'damage' as an effect or parameter.)

Extract from Stringtable.csv:

STR_DN_SHELL   HEAT     
STR_MN_SHELL   HEAT     
STR_SN_SHELL   HEAT     
STR_DN_HEAT   Sabot     
STR_MN_HEAT   Sabot     
STR_SN_HEAT   Sabot   

My guess is that nameSound="heat" says "Sabot" and nameSound="shell" says "HEAT".  So, pulling together all the facts:

.............IHR....H......IH....S/T tag...............S/T val...Real life equivalent
Shell73.....8....100....90....$STR_DN_SHELL...HEAT......HEAT (bang)
Shell105...8....150...110
Shell120...8....200...150
Shell125...8....180...100   
Shell.........8........0.......0  
HEAT73....1....400...100....$STR_DN_HEAT....Sabot.....Sabot (clang)
HEAT105..1....450...150
HEAT120..1....700...300
HEAT125..1....600...300
HEAT........1........0.......0

Edit 08/03/05 adds class Shell and class HEAT flagged by pr0ph3t.

My memory was slightly off - it's the cfgAmmo classes that are arse about face and the stringtable fudges the error.  Because the flash of the explosion is defined by 'Hit', a sabot strike (HEAT class ammo) looks a far more dangerous explosion than it actually is, further compounding the confusion.

Configging an ammo class with Hit and indirectHit equal to zero obviously won't hurt much, but I suspect there won't be much of a visible explosion either. Sensible Hit and indirectHit values with an indirectHitRange of zero might give a visual but not a 'physical' effect - as long as it doesn't actually 'hit' something (I'm assuming there's negligible chance of the FX explosion actually hitting a unit). But that's another guess...
Edit 08/03/05: pr0ph3t's use of 'HEAT' and 'Shell' suggests that zero Hit and indirectHit still create an explosion.

Unless someone knows better, it might also be worth recording that indirectHit effects extend out to TWICE the indirectHitRange (my experience was that a standard ShellXX had to be airbursted 16m above ground level to avoid explosion dust effects on the ground).

Can I go and put my anorak away now?

@ Supergruntssb78:   Getting back OT, either:
Use HEAT73 or Shell as the least dangerous rounds and keep your fingers crossed,
or:
pick through cfgAmmo section in the Commented Configs' cfgWeapons.hpp (in the Editor's Depot)to see if there's something even better now you know what to look for.

The camCreate code that's been referred to is:

boom = "shell73" CamCreate [x,y,z]

There are a million and one ways to derive the position [x,y,z] - markers, objects, etc and many ways to set it off.  Post what you actually want to do and I'm sure someone will give you a leg up.

As an opener:

Trigger:
Anybody Present Once
both radii 50
name: boom1
text: boom1
On Activation: boom = "shell73" CamCreate (GetPos boom1)

When a unit gets within 50m of the trigger a shell73 will explode at the centre position of the trigger.  Probably - I like to think I won't get something this simple wrong, but it's been a long post. Anyway, have a play... just change all boom1's for boom2, boom3 etc in subsequent triggers.

« Last Edit: 08 Mar 2005, 14:02:47 by ACF »

supergruntsb78

« Reply #20 on: 28 Feb 2005, 00:06:29 »
i dont know what did it but if im correct the ROC mod has a practice grenade (and weapons) ill check if im correct ill figure out a way to get them to usage with out the entire mod

nuzzimauro

« Reply #21 on: 28 Feb 2005, 20:11:18 »
write into a unit’s init field:

this addeventHandler ["killed", {_this setdammage 0}];