Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Different Firing stances  (Read 1570 times)

Coldfire

Different Firing stances
« on: 18 Dec 2004, 06:09:12 »
Just a suggestion, but would it be possible to creat a new set of firing animations for a set of units in ofp? I was thinking if somone could release a pack of untrained millitia units who did things like held pistols in one hand and fired rifles from the hip, it would add considerably to the realism of the game. I mean, How often do you see untrained and inexperience millitia actually holding a rifle or a pistol the right way? Also this would work well with a gang member pack, again how often do you see a armed robber draw a pistol and hold it two-handed in a millitary fashion?
« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2004, 06:11:21 by Coldfire »

Stinky Nut Rappa

Re:Different Firing stances
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2004, 13:02:14 »
hip firing is a great idea. it would be very hard to make new animations though. Probably it would be good if one was made where you changed the skill setting and where the shooter put the weapon would be a good idea. i also have a question though. are there any addons which don't make my soldiers look like they have a wedgie everytime they stand still?

Dubieman

« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2004, 18:09:41 »
Hip firing would be good for our bigger wepaons like M60s, M249s, M240s, PKs, and RPKs.

Those are some big guns and I'd like to see someone hold one of those next to their face while running for an hour or two.  ;D

It could be a nice animation for the mg guys and I've got some proof of it too. In the BHD book it talks about one of the Ranger mgers getting a custom grip for his SAW and advice on how to shoot better from the hip from one of Delta guys.

Also, the militia thing is a good idea. Combine it with HD mags and you've got a winning combo. :)

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2004, 18:23:08 »
It won't happen. All units share the same firing stances, and while you can make replacement animations etc. for them you can only make global changes for all units.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

Coldfire

« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2004, 19:44:52 »
It won't happen. All units share the same firing stances, and while you can make replacement animations etc. for them you can only make global changes for all units.

If that's true, then why have I seen units that when you press the "Sideways" keys (A & D) while the unit is prone the roll to the left or right instead of slowly shimying there? Is there some sort of thing where you can set animations for movment to be different for individual units but not firing stances?

Offline Triggerhappy

• Contributing Member
  • Llama, it's what's for dinner.
« Reply #5 on: 19 Dec 2004, 04:46:34 »
Hip firing would be good for our bigger wepaons like M60s, M249s, M240s, PKs, and RPKs.

Those are some big guns and I'd like to see someone hold one of those next to their face while running for an hour or two.  

actually, the BAR (Browning automatic rifle*WWI/WWII*), was originally designed to be fired from a sling on the soldiers hip. They would put the butt of the rifle in the sling, but it turned out too heavy, so it was made to be mounted in a tripod/bipod instead
that really had nothing to do with the editing side of this, just some random info supporting your idea, but it think that would be really cool if it is possible...

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
« Reply #6 on: 19 Dec 2004, 14:23:29 »
Coldfire, perhaps you didn't read my reply?

I said that you can only make global changes for animations. If you make it so that one unit has a different animation when standing, then all units will have that animation.

So if one unit rolls when pressing strafe left/right, then all units will.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

Coldfire

« Reply #7 on: 19 Dec 2004, 20:59:00 »
And prehaps you misread MY reply: I have SEEN units that roll left and right when prone, but do it SEPERATLY form all the other units. It's a part of a Singapor Armed Forces pack: The normal BIS infantry units and all othe addon units still have the same left/right prone movment anims, but the SAF units roll.

Offline oyman

• Members
  • king of pings
« Reply #8 on: 20 Dec 2004, 03:55:54 »
And prehaps you misread MY reply: I have SEEN units that roll left and right when prone, but do it SEPERATLY form all the other units. It's a part of a Singapor Armed Forces pack: The normal BIS infantry units and all othe addon units still have the same left/right prone movment anims, but the SAF units roll.

ya, I think all you need to do is just define a new cfg moves for that addon and it wont affect the original soldier  :)

nmanjar

« Reply #9 on: 20 Dec 2004, 14:11:15 »
another would be firing an RPG [or any other rocket] while standing tall.

bootneckofficer

« Reply #10 on: 24 Dec 2004, 00:48:48 »
walking with gun in hands but not aiming would be a great one

bootneckofficer

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
    • Royal Air Assault Battalion
« Reply #11 on: 24 Dec 2004, 09:40:52 »
Yeah, and when you stand, you should stand like the AI does, with they're gun lowered.
 It looks abit dumb to have a cutscene with everyone standing in a circle with they're weapons lowered, except the player, who's aiming from the sholder at nothing  :P
Royal Air Assault Battalion - [L/Cpl] Greg
RAAB

bootneckofficer

« Reply #12 on: 27 Dec 2004, 23:36:27 »
plus running everywhere sucks especially when patrolling. u end up making a patrol like a brisk run in the park then running into the enemy!

bootneckofficer

Coldfire

« Reply #13 on: 29 Dec 2004, 18:47:04 »
ok, lots of good Ideas coming in on this one...  :)

The only problem is finding ways to include them all...
The standing rocket launcher would be easy to do. but things like standing with your weapon lowered and walking with your weapon out but lowered would be difficult... unless you made it so that was the "Safe" or "careless" stance.

Other cool Ideas:

rolling when prone (like in the SAF addons)
new reloading anim
new grenade throw anim
one-handed pistols
new death anims (Imaging one twitching and flailing as he goes down)

Jimpy

« Reply #14 on: 09 Feb 2005, 09:00:15 »
Yes, I would like some new animations too.

Here's what I think for 2 cents:

* "Careless" should have the guys "cradling" their weapons.
MG gunners for example could carry their gun over their shoulder.
I notice the new JJ Rambo Middle Eastern Scumbags pack has a
man in a cool looking pose cradling an AK. I like that!

* "Aware" should have the guys with their weapon at what we used
to call the "alert" position (ie. butt in shoulder, muzzle pointing
about 45 degrees downwards).

* "Combat" is the "alert" position , only more so. Guys can have
their rifles in the aim now.

* BTW Guys in helis should have their rifles pointing downwards -
I saw an OFP addon where the little guys actually do that in
choppers. I think it may have been Frenchpoint ...or maybe it wasn't.
Can't remember now. Anyway it impressed the pants off me
when I first saw it. That could easily be added too while we're
at it.

*Yes, I agree the default speed should be a brisk walk. Run
should be optional as required.

*Yes, yes, yes, you should be able to fire AT weapons in any
attitude (you can even fire these things lying down in real
life, you know). I HATE that "kneeling only" nonsense!

*Single handed pistols are OK too if that rings your bell.
Pistols are girlies guns though   ;)

* I think the death anims are Ok as they are now. I would
like to see a "wounded man" animation, though.  Guys hit
should not just carry on regardless (wearing trousers with
red paint on them). Wounded men should at least act much
more as if they're really hurt.  I know they do a bit already,
but it's not enough.