Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Missing addons "groups"  (Read 665 times)

Offline nominesine

• Former Staff
  • I'm NOT back!
    • The IKB Forum
Missing addons "groups"
« on: 05 Feb 2005, 12:00:59 »
When editing a really large mission I've encountered an error message I've never seen before.

Missing addons "groups"

Since I'm not using any addons what so ever, I wonder: Where does it come from?

Removing the addon "Groups" from the mission.sqm solves the problem, but in order to controll my editing I would still like to understand why I get this error message.

My theory at the moment is:

Because I temporarily exceeded the maximum of 63 groups for east side during editing (it is a very large MP-mission) the line "Groups" was added to the addons list. Reducing the number of groups and removing "Groups" from mission.sqm thus solves the problem.

Am I right or have I missed something out here?

P.S I know 63 groups will cause lag on low end computers. Plz don't bother to point that out  ;D
OFPEC | Intel Depot
RETARDED Ooops... Retired!

Dubieman

Re:Missing addons "groups"
« Reply #1 on: 05 Feb 2005, 19:11:06 »
Well when I hit the 63 group limit, I've never gotten a new addon put in my .sqm or anything. It usually won't let me preview the mission saying "no more than 63 groups per side". :P

Dunno why you would get some sort of addon in there. ???

Offline Killswitch

• Members
  • Peace, cheese and ArmA
« Reply #2 on: 08 Feb 2005, 02:41:30 »
The "missing addons: Groups" error comes from you having one or more broken addons. They all have faulty configs. The error is unrelated to the 63 group limit and you seeing both is a coincidence.

That fault was common in addons 2001-2002 but has later disappeared. Or so we thought... now, it has popped up again in a recent addon (John J Rambo's Middle East Rebels). This addon also has a broken config and is therefore completely useless for mission making until fixed.

From memory, at least the following addons are faulty:
  • jjr_rebels.pbo (mentioned above)
  • All addons by UCEE (named uce_something.pbo)
There are several more, though, that much I know.

The solution(s)?

1 - don't use them for mission making
2 - fix the configs

What addons are you using in your mission?
« Last Edit: 08 Feb 2005, 02:42:37 by Killswitch »

Offline nominesine

• Former Staff
  • I'm NOT back!
    • The IKB Forum
« Reply #3 on: 08 Feb 2005, 22:10:35 »
I'm not using any addons, that's why I was so puzzled. Or so I thought. But now I notice that there is another line in the addons section of the sqm: "KegRPG7".

It's from Kegety's and ash's old winter addons I think. Maybe there is one left behind on the map somewhere?!? Nogova is a big place :-)

Or maybe it came from a merged mission.sqm. I use one small map for testing purposes from wich I copy/paste/merge everything before adding it to the mission.

Anyway... thanks alot for sorting out the group thing.
OFPEC | Intel Depot
RETARDED Ooops... Retired!

Offline Killswitch

• Members
  • Peace, cheese and ArmA
« Reply #4 on: 09 Feb 2005, 15:58:38 »
I'm not using any addons, that's why I was so puzzled.
Ah yes, my mistake - I should have thought of that possibility too. Whomever made the mission you're having troubles with had one or more broken addons loaded when he made it, leading to what we see now - a polluted mission.sqm.

Only recourse is to do what you're doing:
    1 - check to see that the mission actually doens't need any addons at all
    2 - manually prune the
addons[] and (if present) addonsAuto[] sections at the beginning of the mission.sqm file[/list]
(Feel free to use the "Solved" button in the forum to close this thread and make it get that blue smiley symbol indicating it is...well, solved  ;D )