Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: New Beta Nuclear Scud Unit, Stress testing its Scripting  (Read 4192 times)

Dingmatt

OverView:
This Is A DSF Unit, credit also due to both BAS and CoC for supplying code.

Description:
Well this is fresh of the production line... hope i've managed to iron all the kinks out of the code but need all you fine peoples help to find out.

The Unit is a Scud launcher it has a inbuilt artillary script,  allowing it to use both direct and in direct fire.
The Scuds Warhead is a Nuke with simular properties to the CoC_torpedo but using a different code to reduce lag.

WARNING THIS IS A VERY DANGEROUS WEAPON AND HAS A HUGE BLAST AREA

Please check it out all and get back to me with some feedback.
Thanks.  8)

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pauline.ingram/DSF_RUSOPFOR.rar

« Last Edit: 06 Feb 2005, 14:49:27 by Dingmatt »

Azraell_X

Re:New Beta Nuclear Scud Unit, Stress testing its Scripting
« Reply #1 on: 06 Feb 2005, 11:00:41 »
I gave it a whirl.......
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Problems:

Theres a scud for the west side. Prolly shouldnt be there.

The scud is still visible flying to the ground while the blast is already happening.

Can you make it so the AI is using it? I got out of the scud after placing a target but before scud launched, the scud never  launched but i still saw
a scud fall to target and detonate. I myself would prefer an automated one with the AI in the scud but your outside spotting targets.

Before any targeting a normal "launch scud" is still present in the action menu.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nonproblems(good stuff):

Not an ounce of lag or anything with the nuke blast...good job tweaking that out.

Targeting works great.

I like that its all in one addon.....wish i could do that :-[

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thats all for now, hope my input helped.

Pm me if you wanna teamup with a project ive been working on for almost 2 years  ;D....could use your expertise.
« Last Edit: 06 Feb 2005, 11:06:00 by Azraell_X »

Dingmatt

« Reply #2 on: 06 Feb 2005, 14:28:07 »
You pointed out a few known flaws which i'm still working on.. such as the getting out before its fully launched causing it to lock in the upright position.
I'll try and fix this for the future as well as the action menu bug.

There is a reason theres a west scud and is due to an addon that this scud is being designed to use, (as well as standalone) i have not at yet tweaked the west model and texture though.

Thanks for pointing out the scud drop/explosion bug... i think know what causes that and will tweak the timing.

The AI can launch the scud while you spot aslong as to tell them to use the action "Launch scud at target" and click the desternation on your map.

Thx for the feedback, i'll post a new version soon.

« Last Edit: 06 Feb 2005, 14:33:50 by Dingmatt »

Deepsmeg

« Reply #3 on: 06 Feb 2005, 19:37:43 »
I have set up a topic on our forums to report bugs in.
This is not to undermine OFPEC's forums, but to enable us to consolidate all of the bug reports in one place.

You can find the bug reporting at www.dsfproductions.co.uk/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4.

BronzeEagle

« Reply #4 on: 06 Feb 2005, 20:22:48 »
I hope you're able to get with a scripter who can provide a game script to where the scud will launch to a location which you preset in the editing phase, by ai.  

Deepsmeg

« Reply #5 on: 06 Feb 2005, 20:23:59 »
I'm not completely sure what you're asking there, I'm afraid.

Offline Fragorl

• Coding Team
  • Former Staff
« Reply #6 on: 06 Feb 2005, 22:43:23 »
BronzeEagle:

I think that the original BAS scudlauncher did that. If the ai was in the launcher (and he was in your group), he'd have an action 'launch scud at target', which you could tell him to do, by selecting him, pressing '6' and then that action. Then a script coded into the addon would wait for an onmapsingleclick input from the player, and do the appropriate launch. Should be the same for this, provided there is still a similar action in the launcher.

Deepsmeg

« Reply #7 on: 07 Feb 2005, 01:49:35 »
We have fixed the scud landing after you get out.
It will now sit erected and resume the firing sequence when you (or anyone else) reenter the scud.

This is in beta2, which should be released some time this evening.

Dingmatt

« Reply #8 on: 07 Feb 2005, 04:21:13 »
New Version Avaliable:
Beta release 2

Bugs Solved:
The nuke will now not detonate unless the scud rocket has been fully launched (e.g. left the scud). This has been achived by pausing the launch cycle if the player exits the scud, it will resume on re-entry.

An AI controlled Scud can now be controlled through the editor using the following trigger syntex [1,(Time),(Target),(launcher),this] exec {\DSF_RUSOPFOR\scripts\DSF_ScudLaunch.sqs}

For example:
[1,10,H,scud,this] exec {\DSF_RUSOPFOR\scripts\DSF_ScudLaunch.sqs}
Would once trigered will wait '10 seconds' before firing the rocket from a scud named 'scud' at a target named 'H'.

Future developments:
I'm currently adding radiation fallout to the nuke which will spread and be carried on the wind, damaging all organics (players, etc) it comes across.

Please check it out and give me some feedback.
Thanks,

Link:

ScreenShot & Development:
http://n.1asphost.com/dsfproductions/downloads.asp

« Last Edit: 07 Feb 2005, 04:49:49 by Dingmatt »

Agent13

« Reply #9 on: 07 Feb 2005, 17:27:27 »
Are you planning on doing a chemical warhead version or Large Conventional Warhead.

I Suppose if you making radiation fallout carried by the wind, something could work for a chemical warhead
« Last Edit: 07 Feb 2005, 17:27:54 by Agent13 »

Deepsmeg

« Reply #10 on: 07 Feb 2005, 23:17:10 »
We'll bear that in mind, but it is not our main goal at this point in time.

Dingmatt

« Reply #11 on: 08 Feb 2005, 23:47:19 »
New Version Avaliable:
Beta release 3

Bugs Solved:
THe Survival at ground zero bug has been fixed.

New Features:
-Actual Grid-refrence targeting reports rather that numbered coords.
-Radiation has been added, want to make it a bit more dynamic (e.g. travels on the wind or attached to the dust cloud) but as of now i have not been able 2 yet. any suggestions?
-Nuke Blast Flash has been updated.

Please check it out and give me some feedback.
Thanks,

Link:

ScreenShot & Development:
http://n.1asphost.com/dsfproductions/downloads.asp

« Last Edit: 09 Feb 2005, 02:38:08 by Dingmatt »

Azraell_X

Deepsmeg

« Reply #13 on: 09 Feb 2005, 02:34:39 »
We found that a couple of days ago, and despite its existance will not stop developing our version.
We believe ours to have a lower amount of latency in network situations, and are making it as part of a bigger thing anyway.

Oogieboogie

« Reply #14 on: 13 Feb 2005, 19:24:53 »
http://opflashpoint1985.iespana.es/opflashpoint1985/mission_ss-4_silo_complex.html

lol  I went to look and see if mine was somehow listed on google as well - this is on the third page.
Im on page 4  :(
Seems we were both beaten to it  :P

Btw, I like the weather change effect  ;)

Also, any luck on getting the nuke effect to work in multiplayer?  Thats what im struggling with right now on mine.  I tried an eventhandler in the cpp but seems they arent global. ???

And you can fix the inaccurate nuclear animation position by using a getPos on the spawned missile itself immediately before impact and then running nuke.sqs with that position as a parameter.
« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2005, 19:41:17 by Oogieboogie »

Deepsmeg

« Reply #15 on: 15 Feb 2005, 19:57:34 »
Oogie!
I'm not too sure about how well ours works in MP.
The old version, before we consolidated everything, caused massive latency over MP.
The trick is to reduce the number of entities and particles created.

I'll get Frostman to sort out the explosion effect when he gets back from his break.

Offline Fragorl

• Coding Team
  • Former Staff
« Reply #16 on: 16 Feb 2005, 01:23:26 »
OogieBoogie:

Nostalgia! I remember the old SS-1/4 missions, from back in the old 1.46 pre-resistance days. The first nuke script! Brings a tear to my eye... :'(  ;D

Deepsmeg

« Reply #17 on: 18 Feb 2005, 01:11:51 »
To clarify, I meant that I've not tested ours over a slower link.
I've tested it in ideal conditions over a 100Mbps connection, but not over the internet.