Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: ski division  (Read 1184 times)

blackjack

ski division
« on: 14 Jan 2005, 17:19:09 »
last night a friend of mine ask me "why dont u make a ski troop?" . at start i thought it was impossible to build such thing, but then i got doubts about it. maybe not that impossible.... i would like to know what u guys think about this possibility. all sort of sugestions are welcome :)

what i have in mind is 2 possibilities;

1º- make the skis as a vehicle. give him a class motorcycle, so it can lean.
now imagine that i use a regular soldier  as a "driver" . then when i give the get in order,  i would have in the ski's cfg file something like
driverAction = ManActSkiDriver;  
the i would need to make a skidriver.rtm file.  usually the .rtm files i see around is for static animations, but in this case i would need a dynamic animation...is that possible? i mean , in this rtm file can i creat a new movement to the soldier body? (guess not)

2º . this implicates creating a new soldier, that can behave 2 diferent ways.
the soldier p3d file has 2 pair's of ski's mounted. 1 pair on his back the other on is feets.
1-walk/run like a normal soldier, with the ski's on his back show, and ski's on the feet hided.
2-soldier shoe's the ski's (action menu option) and starts using a new  movement. that means that it will hide skis on his back, show the skis on the feet, and start moving his body like a ski man. i guess this is possible because when u  use a law weapon the soldier gets on his knee and moves slowly...so why not make him move faster on a diferent position ?

this is just a tought, so many other considerations that i can predict werent exposed here. like i said i just want to know if this is inside ofp limits. meanwhile i will unpbo some troops pbo's and try to understand the basics about it.

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
    • Royal Air Assault Battalion
Re:ski division
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2005, 17:36:11 »
I like the idea of this.  :)
The second one would probably be the best, as vehciles like snowboards and skis have already been made. Having a action menu to switch between running and skiing would be great.  ;D
Royal Air Assault Battalion - [L/Cpl] Greg
RAAB

US-Marine

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2005, 19:32:28 »
I saw the Snowbaord too :D was really cool :D but you can't be hit on it ;) so it try to driveover the enemy :D

Offline nominesine

• Former Staff
  • I'm NOT back!
    • The IKB Forum
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2005, 21:00:08 »
It is a very good idea. The FDF-mod has stretchers that you can carry on your back. They are defined as vehicles. ItÂ's possible to carry them, drop them on the ground or "GET IN" to them. The same should be possible for skis I suppose.

The advantage would be that any unit could use the skis, not just unitÂ's that comes with skis included in the addon.

Disadvantage: ItÂ's impossible to fire when you are inside a vehicle. I can live without the ability to shoot and ski James Bond-style. But it would feel silly if I had to take the skis off completely before firing a rifle. Going prone and aiming while wearing skis is a little bit tricky when you try it the first time, but you will soon get used to it. Is it possible to include this function in a ski addOn?!?
OFPEC | Intel Depot
RETARDED Ooops... Retired!

blackjack

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jan 2005, 00:51:44 »
The second one would probably be the best, as vehciles like snowboards and skis have already been made.
i never saw any of both, but i'll search snowboard. if u know where r them, or which pack uses it plz tell me.

saw the Snowbaord too  was really cool  but you can't be hit on it  so it try to driveover the enemy
. like i said i'll search for that snowboard, but if its a vehicle and the "driver" dont get shoot its probably because it doesnt have a proxy on the fire lod.

The FDF-mod has stretchers that you can carry on your back. They are defined as vehicles. ItÂ's possible to carry them, drop them on the ground or "GET IN" to them
what are stretchers? is that related to skis equipment? if what ur saying is that u can have a pbo with a class vehicle, that u can carry on your back like an at weapon, that's really good news..i thought u can only carry class weapons on your back...

Disadvantage: ItÂ's impossible to fire when you are inside a vehicle. I can live without the ability to shoot and ski James Bond-style. But it would feel silly if I had to take the skis off completely before firing a rifle. Going prone and aiming while wearing skis is a little bit tricky when you try it the first time, but you will soon get used to it.
 i think that is asking to much from ofp...i dont pretend being able to shoot while sking...i only want something that u can  carry on your back, and slides downhill only. it cant climb moutains by itself...otherwise its nonsense. the going prone is not on the plans. i only want to make it usable to downhill like i said. when ur stoped u took it out of your feets.
Is it possible to include this function in a ski addOn?!?
now that i really didnt get what u mean...  :-\

Silent n Deadly

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jan 2005, 01:39:58 »

EX-PARA

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jan 2005, 14:47:56 »
Blackjack - I say go for it.... would be a very worthwhile addition for snow based missions.

EX-PARA