Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: A Remote-Controlling script  (Read 652 times)

Lean Bear

A Remote-Controlling script
« on: 31 Dec 2004, 16:59:26 »
I'm making a mission where I want a sub to respond to commands given to it by the player.

I know this is very much possible, but could be incredibly difficult to finish scripting - which is why I came here :D

Unfortunately I don't have anything to start us off, but here's the jist of it anyway:

The player is in a building (comm center) and since I know it isn't possible to change player models in the middle of a game, I thought I could have a very simple (or highly complex - but lets start low, heh?) script so the player can control a submarine and attack and evade using it but from a safe distance.

ie. In more realistic terms, give orders to the commander of the sub from the comms building inland.

I was hopping to use the command onMapClick//or whatever it is. To perhaps tell the sub where to move via markers on the map screen.

I would also like a camera to be accessable which is "attached" to the friendly sub so the player can see what's going on.

Can anyone help me out here?

edit

I'm not entirely sure about how to make the sub attack and perform evasive manuvers though :(
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2004, 17:00:43 by Lean Bear »

bored_onion

Re:A Remote-Controlling script
« Reply #1 on: 07 Jan 2005, 21:07:13 »
maybe you could use switchcamera to see the various views of the sub? you could use a dialog to give the option to change the camera angle or something.

Dubieman

« Reply #2 on: 07 Jan 2005, 21:15:33 »
Well, how about just setposing the player inside the sub and seeing if you can block 1st person view then the player would feel like they are controlling it and there isn't much scripting. Cause I've seen third person view blocked out before in an MP clan I was playin with.

And when its destroyed, the player is setposed back to the CO center, no damage. All to simulate the effect of remote control, which would really be 2x the remote control.

Us the player person(real life) --> the OFP guy that we control--> the vehicle that he controls....

Its a big system. ;D :D

BTW, what sub are you using?
« Last Edit: 07 Jan 2005, 21:17:50 by GuiltyRoachKillar »

Lean Bear

« Reply #3 on: 08 Jan 2005, 11:10:07 »
Thanks for the replies guys :)

@ bored_onion

That's a good idea but not really the effect I'm looking for. Believe it or not, I do actually want the player to be in a building and use the action menu (or something similar - radio maybe) to control the sub. (Because I want the player to be the commander of the sub - not just a driver or gunner etc.)

Is there a way I can "attach" a camera directly above the sub that can be used by the player?

@ GRK

Currently, I'm using the Everon Cartel Kilo sub (as it has all the functions - dive, periscope etc.) - but I'll prob end up using the Santa Fe from the Falklands Mod when it is released.

hermano

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2005, 15:38:59 »
Hi Lean bear,
you are lucky, a few days ago I developed what you need. I intended to remote control civilians or enemy units with these scripts, for espionage missions. The problem is there is still some inertia in controlling other units, for submarines however this would be perfect.
Instead of using playmove you should change the subs velocity. Maybe you'll have to switch the camera to a unit that is placed in the sub.

hermano
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2005, 18:35:12 by hermano »