Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Urban Ai  (Read 8539 times)

Offline Sentinel

• Contributing Member
  • World is tough and I'm tougher!!
Urban Ai
« on: 12 Dec 2004, 22:33:56 »
Here's a little something I made. The orginal idea is from Tomasz but the script is my made. It's for making ai move better in urban areas. Though the squad leader has to be player  :P

Any feed back is good, even crushing ones  ;D

Though I might get offended...

Man I forgot to add the gif.... though i think it's too big (50kb limit)
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2004, 22:43:05 by Sentinel »

Offline Sentinel

• Contributing Member
Re:Urban Ai
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2004, 23:45:51 »
Here's the zip with movement.gif file  ;D

Sorry again...  :-[

Offline penguinman

• Contributing Member
  • Money is worthless, just paper, ink, and threads
« Reply #2 on: 13 Dec 2004, 07:32:54 »
hmm, it sounds very interesting.

d/l now.

maby as this script sounds limited you should find a way for AI units to find cover against the direction fire is comming from and add it.

Offline penguinman

• Contributing Member
  • Money is worthless, just paper, ink, and threads
« Reply #3 on: 13 Dec 2004, 07:45:25 »
ok i tried the demo,

i tried moving just as it said in the gif

the men bunched up fine

i ran across, and only one followed, he then got excited and ran right through the building and out the wall on the other side and got shot.

then the rest all ran across at once, 1 stopped in middle and got shot

the rest bunched around me and i couldnt see,

next thing i know one of my guys pulled out a nade and tried to throw it at who knows what, the grenade hit the wall next to me and the entire surviving squad was blown to pieces(including me).

i dont know what you were trying to do but, as the demo went

before the script if i tried to have them run across, 2 or 3 would die

with the script if i try to run across everybody died(me included).

maby work out some bugs in this.

Offline Sentinel

• Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: 13 Dec 2004, 10:13:05 »
AI could use this with real waypoints or with moving script. Though it would made ai very much scripted and predictable.

The idea is to move as ypu would move in real combat, or at least close to it. Use buildings as cover and face yourself where the guys should look. Try ceasing fire until few guys have been placed.

Also ai moves as normally weirdly, so try to avoid standing right next to a wall. Make few feet between.

;D The demo mission is crappy, I know. Didn't bother to make better. Try taking few men off your squad.

Thanks for trying   ;D

Tomasz

« Reply #5 on: 13 Dec 2004, 19:38:47 »
It works fine for me. I played in montignac, with a four man squad, and took out two 12 men squads loosing two men. The best way is to make a semi-cercle around them with your squad, once you take one guy out, the enemy disperses going right into your net. :D

Due to the fact that you show your squadies where to stand and how to move, they use effectively the urban terrain.

Tomasz

Sophion

« Reply #6 on: 13 Dec 2004, 21:45:52 »
I also did it on Nagova (Modrava) work nice for me...

aoulthough it could go without the hints but thats something i can do.

Rynkky

« Reply #7 on: 13 Dec 2004, 22:50:30 »
Oh man this AI rocks! It really brings action on the streets of Flashpoint.

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #8 on: 20 Dec 2004, 22:49:33 »
Wow, this is a very creative script! Looks great! I'll have to check it out later though...
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Offline lendrom

• Members
« Reply #9 on: 22 Dec 2004, 10:24:40 »
Would it be possible rewrite this script to allow mission designer to pre create those nodes (? i dont know how to name it not to be mistaken with mission editor waypoints)  and store them in a file so AI would automaticly chose way to the waypoint it is ordered by crossing the nearest nodes in the path? (oh that was too long sentence. I hope it was understandable ::) Some bots for fpp games (CounterStrike for example) used such a way to know the map - nodes of different types and relations between them. I dont know if it would work with OFP way-too-slowly-moving AI but mabey it's worth to try...
Blessed are those who have nothing to say and yet they remain silent.

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #10 on: 23 Dec 2004, 00:22:26 »
That idea sounds good..
Anyway, tested script..
Without enabling, I had to kill the squad (Bar 2), with it, I had to kill 2, the squad done the rest :)
- Ben

HotShotAce

« Reply #11 on: 25 Dec 2004, 03:45:32 »
I tried your script and all I have to say is it is excellent. This opens up a whole new chapter in OFP. Excellent idea. But now I have some suggestions that could improve this Urban AI concept (not changing your script lol).

- Some sort of system that allows you to control your squads grenade launcher. Something like you select the grenadier, and click on map where he shoots. Also suppressive fire the same kind of way.

- Make it so your men crouch at certain waypoints.

- Also, is it possible to remove the hints at the top and in the radio chatter.

Well those are my ideas but your script is great and I hope my ideas are possible ( I know nothing about scripting, lol)
« Last Edit: 25 Dec 2004, 06:37:24 by HotShotAce »

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #12 on: 25 Dec 2004, 10:43:58 »
Something like you select the grenadier, and click on map where he shoots. Also suppressive fire the same kind of way.
That's a very, very good idea!!! I hope you don't mind if I use it...
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #13 on: 25 Dec 2004, 11:45:28 »
Mmm.. Full Spectrum Warrior...
:P
How about a cmaer.asqs type thing that gets the point where the camera is facing, and makes the grenadier/rifle people fire there? Or get the dir/heading (The back/pitch script work on people?) of the leader?

- Ben

HotShotAce

« Reply #14 on: 25 Dec 2004, 12:02:33 »
That's a very, very good idea!!! I hope you don't mind if I use it...

I would be glad if you could implement that into OFP, it would make urban ai so much better.