Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: role-playing map (Rensville)  (Read 1785 times)

Offline OFPfreak

• Members
  • Who is da operation flashpoint freak now, freak?!
    • OFP NFS mod
role-playing map (Rensville)
« on: 12 Dec 2004, 05:51:45 »
I am creating,  atleast trying, to make a role-playing map. Im calling it Rensville for 3 reasons.. I copied part of the name from nogville, Rens is part of my surname and its the name of my dog and I'm too lazy for another name  :P.

Well im not posting becuase im doing a show-off more my mission but becuase I need to know how 4 scripts/init things.

1. I need to know how to get money and be payed money, buy cars and that it unlocks the car, but you can lock it again. (if its not possible to lock it again, atleast to unlock it by paying money for it)

2. I want to make a police base (ressistance) but I want to know how ONLY the ressistance side can open this and close it.

3. I also want to know how to unlock and lock cars.

4. I want to know how to use addactions for the gate i want to open or the lock/unlock action for cars.

If anyone can tell me 1 of these things I would REALLY appreciate them and would thank them for some reason.. (e.g. in the notes put "...and special thanks to player and player1 for helping me out")

And if you could give me any hints on a role-playing map, I would like that as well  :).

NOTE: I know ive been asking a lot of things in the forum and have been a bit selfish/greedy/unrespectful (please dont add any in posts) but in this post I would actually really need to use it and respect people... Now please do NOT comment about this note!
ofp nfs REBORN! All new nitro, neon, customized cars, off-road, on-road, rally, bikes, racer models and more!
ofp nfs's homepage

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
Re:role-playing map (Rensville)
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2004, 10:18:37 »
1.  I have seen money scripts around, though I'm not sure whre.   Try the Ed Depot and use the forum search function, going back a long way.   (Be persistent.)

2.  More details please.    Depending on what you mean the answer is probably a trigger with Activation box set to Resistance present or something.

3.  For the player, just use the command lock.

4.  addAction.     There are some helpful Comments on the online comref.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline OFPfreak

• Members
    • OFP NFS mod
« Reply #2 on: 13 Dec 2004, 04:05:02 »
Update:

question 1 = 50%

question 2 = done

question 3 =  50% (still havent entered ofp yet, gonna try in a minute)

question 4 = problem running script with parameters when using addaction

thank you macgube about the tips.. I seem to have worked out and found question 2 and 4 myself so dont worry about thse now :)
ofp nfs REBORN! All new nitro, neon, customized cars, off-road, on-road, rally, bikes, racer models and more!
ofp nfs's homepage

Offline Triggerhappy

• Contributing Member
  • Llama, it's what's for dinner.
« Reply #3 on: 13 Dec 2004, 04:11:59 »
1)you would have to use some other kind of script to then unlock the car, or add something to the money script, it depends on what you are doing

3) as maccy said, lock for player, locking vehicles only works for human players. to keep ai out, you would need a script that would set them out of the car if they try to get in. a simpler way to keep the ai out would be set the fuel to 0 and then when it gets "unlocked" set the fuel to 1

Offline OFPfreak

• Members
    • OFP NFS mod
« Reply #4 on: 13 Dec 2004, 04:31:12 »
1: Yes im not that dumb (no im not, dont grin ::))) .. actually im asking for the script itself..

3: well erm sorry but a role-playing map is not an SP map.. I mean for online players...  But I have the feeling its going to be complicated for 15 players... well I have found out this is not going to work but atleast that only the ressistance (police, since police is in civillian side I use ressistance (hunters) for police) can unlock and lock the door. Im trying to get idea's from Nogville... by the way does anyone know where I can download Nogville?? I only played it once for 5 minutes before  :() It is possible to let the police lock it, so if they forget to lock it peepz can steal it or when the gate isnt closed... Basically I know how to only let the resistance use the action but want I want to know is the lock/unlock script (addaction script type) to lock/unlock cars.

4. Im having BIG problems with addaction with scripts that have parameters.. I already seen it explained in the online comref but thats medium difficulty.. call me a beginner man!! help!
ofp nfs's homepage

Offline Triggerhappy

• Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: 13 Dec 2004, 04:42:33 »
1)thats not easy, not knowing anything about what you are doing or anything

3)doesn't matter if its mp, players are players, and they will all be locked out
as for unlocking, you would need addaction, which you are having problems with  :-\

4)everyone has problems with that sort of thing. once again, its situation specific.
the car:car addaction ["unlock car","unlock.sqs"]

Unlock.sqs
Code: [Select]
_car = this select 0
_guy = _this select 1
_action = _this select 2
_car removeaction _action
?!(_guy == owner):hint "You can't unlock it";exit
_car lock false
then when the person buys the car, you can put:
owner = nameoftheguy
but for that you need the money scripts. for now to test it just put in the guys init:
owner = this
then he can unlock it

pazuzu

« Reply #6 on: 13 Dec 2004, 08:06:05 »
Did you try this site? http://www.freewebs.com/shell_shocks_workshop/missions.htm

Scroll to bottom & try the money example mission. http://www.freewebs.com/shell_shocks_workshop/Money%20test.zip

Good luck

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #7 on: 13 Dec 2004, 13:05:39 »
addAction is indeed a medium difficulty command and is tough for beginners.   If you're struggling a bit, don't get bogged down.   Leave it for a while, work on some other part of the mission and come back to it later.

It's not that it is fundamentally hard - in fact it's perfectly straightforward - but you do need to learn to walk before you can run.

Offline OFPfreak

• Members
    • OFP NFS mod
« Reply #8 on: 19 Dec 2004, 05:46:52 »
I got the addactions now.. only parameters combined with addactions is what is making me confused.. Does anyone know where I can download a PBO extractor so I can make 1 of my missions ready for beta testing??
ofp nfs's homepage

Offline Triggerhappy

• Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: 19 Dec 2004, 05:53:22 »
just do a search on google or something for
unpbo
and
makepbo

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #10 on: 19 Dec 2004, 05:57:58 »
Or try searching the Editor's Depot, seeing that's what it is there for. ;)
"If a man talks in the woods and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

Offline OFPfreak

• Members
    • OFP NFS mod
« Reply #11 on: 19 Dec 2004, 06:37:46 »
well duuuh i did actually.. coudnt find anything.. I know there are more than 1 PBO compressing tools but for some strange reason not there..
ofp nfs's homepage

pazuzu

« Reply #12 on: 19 Dec 2004, 07:56:52 »
The editor makes a pbo when you save...

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #13 on: 20 Dec 2004, 00:59:39 »
OFPfreak you are overcomplicating.    The only tools/programmes you need to make a mission ready for beta testing are

1)  The mission editor itself

2)  winzip

That's it.   If you're using anything else you are probably screwing up bigtime.

If you want to unpbo existing missions use Amalfi's pbo decryptor 1.5 from the Editors Depot.    Makepbo etc are only needed if you are making addons or doing something seriously advanced.

addAction parameters are non-trivial.   If you are stuck ask something really specific.

Read the sticky topic at the top of the beta testing board BEFORE posting your mission for beta testing.   It will save much time and trouble.    

Offline OFPfreak

• Members
    • OFP NFS mod
« Reply #14 on: 20 Dec 2004, 03:35:14 »
huh? But last time I had a mission somone messaged me about my mission (1 file only!, mission.sqm) it had to be turned into a pbo while it was .zip! Well Ill try again.. thanks anyway...
ofp nfs's homepage

Offline OFPfreak

• Members
    • OFP NFS mod
« Reply #15 on: 20 Dec 2004, 03:38:35 »
6. All submissions MUST be in .pbo format. This allows easy installation and distribution. Any NON-PBO'd files WILL be deleted, AND YOU WILL NOT BE INFORMED!

is rule number 6 in the mission depot!
ofp nfs's homepage

Offline OFPfreak

• Members
    • OFP NFS mod
« Reply #16 on: 20 Dec 2004, 03:39:45 »
nvm Ill put my missions on my freewebs website... I already put 2 on that site.. thank you peoples  :D
ofp nfs's homepage

Offline Triggerhappy

• Contributing Member
« Reply #17 on: 20 Dec 2004, 04:22:50 »
listen, when you save your mission, click export to whatever sp or mp
as long as you don't change the name of it when you export it will be pbo'd with all the scripts and everything in it

Offline OFPfreak

• Members
    • OFP NFS mod
« Reply #18 on: 20 Dec 2004, 08:01:42 »
oooh so I put the script in the folder before I export it to sp?? Ok ill try.. thanks!
ofp nfs's homepage

Offline OFPfreak

• Members
    • OFP NFS mod
« Reply #19 on: 20 Dec 2004, 08:11:12 »
me = pbo? :-\.. after triggerhappy's last post  :D :D :D then explodes

Thanks man! Eh.. so I eh.. where do I put beta versions on the site?? Or arent they allowed?
ofp nfs's homepage

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #20 on: 20 Dec 2004, 13:01:26 »
Beta missions are very strongly encouraged at ofpec.    Post them on the Beta testing missions board.   (There are also beta testing boards for scripts and addons.)    

Please read the sticky topic at the top of the beta testing board before you post.

RedHouse

« Reply #21 on: 21 Dec 2004, 09:46:25 »
it may be too late but heres how you put a variable that can change into your action

action = player addAction [(format ["Spend $%1 cash", cash]) "spentCash.sqs"]
if the variable cash = 300
it would say in your menu 'Spend $300 cash'

Maybe that could be some help, and i am also trying to write a mission like this but i takes a very long time because theres so many scripts to right.

Offline OFPfreak

• Members
    • OFP NFS mod
« Reply #22 on: 22 Dec 2004, 07:04:41 »
Yea i got it now.. and how its going with my beta missions?? becuase there was a 50kb restriction and the mission was 53 kb I had to put it on my own site.. I will update the mission soon becuase it now is very bad still.. I already made the mission better with banks, vehicle shops blah blah blah but I still need to put the new version in the website.. Anyway im creating a new campaign... Its cool to have a campaign with street races and SMS messages looking like hint messages... and you start with a minicooper but end the campaign with a ferrari. The last mission is a role-playing mission where you can randomly find street racers and if you come within 5 meters of them you can challenge them for a race then you earn money and you may buy something :P... only the last mission has money -_-..

hey RedHouse to buy something you need atleast 3 scripts..  

Counter.sqs --- this enables some starting money and the distracting/ earning.
P1Money=0
Hint format ["you have £%1 money", P1Money]

time.sqs --- you can also choose a work.sqs but this would be best for SP because it spends 1 hour. every 60 seconds an hour passes by and you earn a specific amount of money.
moneyernt=300
#start
~1
skiptime .95
playercounter=playercounter+_moneyernt
hint "an hour has passed and you have earned 300$ for security of the president."
~60
goto "start"

buypistol.sqs --- this allows you to buy a specific weapon, we'll  use a pistol as example.
_cost=100
?(playercounter<_cost) : goto "end"
playercounter=playercounter-_cost
hint Format["You have spent £100 and £%1 left in your pocket", playercounter]
crate1 addweaponcargo ["cz75",1]
crate1 addmagazinecargo ["cz75mag",4]
man1 removeaction Action1
exit
#end
hint "Sorry you do not have enough money for a cz75. You need $100."
you need to add a crate called crate1 (ammo crate)

trigger for Counter.sqs:
size: whole map
condition: this
on activation: [] exec "Counter.sqs"

trigger for Time.sqs:
size: whole map
condition: this
on activation: [] exec "Time.sqs"

trigger for buypistol.sqs:
size: any
condition: (player distance >5 shopkeeper) ; shopkeeper is the name of a man.
on activation: [] exec "buypistol.sqs"

some may not work becuase I forgot small parameters like (player distance >5 shopkeeper).. im not sure but these are the 3 basic role-playing scripts! gtg eat dinner now.. cya guys
 ;D
ofp nfs's homepage

Offline Triggerhappy

• Contributing Member
« Reply #23 on: 22 Dec 2004, 13:49:32 »
did you try putting your pbo file into a zip folder or a .rar folder?

Offline OFPfreak

• Members
    • OFP NFS mod
« Reply #24 on: 22 Dec 2004, 20:46:12 »
both... they where both above 50kb.. dont worry man I got the mission on my site!
ofp nfs's homepage

Offline Triggerhappy

• Contributing Member
« Reply #25 on: 22 Dec 2004, 21:29:04 »
and freewebs downloads (for me anyway) at like 2 kbps
*I'm not a 56k'er (DSL)

RedHouse

« Reply #26 on: 23 Dec 2004, 01:29:05 »
@OFPfreak
I was only telling you a little tip to add how much cash you have in your action menu but you probly allready new it anyway. I couldnt be botherd to type up different ways of a buying script.

Offline OFPfreak

• Members
    • OFP NFS mod
« Reply #27 on: 23 Dec 2004, 20:10:17 »
k, k, sorry just helpin  :-\
ofp nfs's homepage