Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: how to find the answer to my question?  (Read 1282 times)

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
Re:how to find the answer to my question?
« Reply #15 on: 28 Nov 2004, 23:08:19 »
I didn't mean to be a smartass, greg147 was asking as his orginal question what the "How to find answers to your questions" thread is all about. Or at least so I understood it.

Of course I understand people that have searched and found nothing like greg here, I've done that too. What I don't understand is people asking easy questions over and over again and haven't even looked at the FAQ, search function or whatever even though people have pointed it out for them.

@ Kammak:
Just think a complete forum page filled with the same question 10 times over and over again. The harder problems would've been pushed over at the side and people would've missed help. Not to mention it also takes Server space for these threads, space that could be used for hosting missions for example. It also takes time for kind people like Macguba to answer the same question all over and over again. Everyone likes to help people out, but when helping becomes a routine instead of a kindness, you'll eventually stop.

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:
« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2004, 23:09:57 by dmakatra »

Kammak

« Reply #16 on: 28 Nov 2004, 23:15:37 »
Everyone likes to help people out, but when helping becomes a routine instead of a kindness, you'll eventually stop.

The you should take your own advice and stop.  As I said, no one is forced to read or post here.  This is no one's "job", and certainly not yours.

If its become such a chore for you to see similar questions posted, quit reading.  Get outside.  Make a mission.

But realize that is a personal problem and not anything to do with new scripters looking for help.  Don't take it out on them.

« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2004, 23:17:32 by Kammak »

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #17 on: 28 Nov 2004, 23:24:59 »
A community is something that is organized by the people in it, and it is living because of those people. Spoiling OFPECs chance of actually getting people to answer the questions is the least I would like to see. Basicly what your saying is "bugger off everyone who want to help but don't have all the time in the world.".

Remember OFPECs motto, By The Community, For The Community.

I admit that maybe I have been a bit radical on beginners, to that I take the critism. I thank you for that, I am a person who learns by my misstakes. But sometimes you are a bit stressed or sometimes you're not sure how advanced someone is in their editing skills and therefor not know how advanced you'll have to reply. Or some other reason.

Now, before we all go flaming each other 'ere, I suggest we take this over IM.

:beat: *Gets IMed* :beat:

Kammak

« Reply #18 on: 28 Nov 2004, 23:35:01 »
I'm not flaming anyone.

But some people need to realize they are not moderators, it is not their place to worry about "server space", teaching people a life lesson, or the ultimate future of OFP thread types etc....

The forums are here to help people scripting in OFP, period.  *Everyone* here is volunteering their time.  If its taking a toll on your attitude or mood, recognize that and take a break.  And don't take your "sig" too seriously.  :)

Edit : No need to IM, as this is not directed solely at you.  There were a few sarcastic posters in this thread.

« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2004, 23:36:39 by Kammak »

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #19 on: 29 Nov 2004, 00:04:21 »
Hey, just a general suggestion on how to use the "search" feature:

I've found that it is usually best to set the "max age since last post" (the second to last entry on the search page) to something extremely high, like 60000 days. It is set to 2 months by default, which is usually not helpful. Whenever I do a search, I usually find my answer in a post that is many months or years old.

If I could make a suggestion to the site admins, I'd suggest changing the default for the "max age since last post" to infinity (or 9999 or similar). It is easy to forget about it, and wonder why you aren't getting any results. I think that is more likely to happen, then it is that someone would actually want to limit their search to 2 month old posts, and forget to enter that in (I hope my point makes sense).
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #20 on: 29 Nov 2004, 00:12:05 »
That is an excellent suggestion.......I just wonder why I didn't think about it.

It might also be an idea to change the default from 'Match all words' to 'Match as Phrase'

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.