Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: script rights  (Read 537 times)

Offline penguinman

• Contributing Member
  • Money is worthless, just paper, ink, and threads
script rights
« on: 27 Nov 2004, 23:48:20 »
I used a script in my mission but I edited the script so do i have to ask the maker of the script for permision before i realese the mission?

also how do i get it so the mission is compacted so i can post it?

thanks

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
Re:script rights
« Reply #1 on: 28 Nov 2004, 00:21:38 »
1) Yes.

2) Simply export it to single missions, you can find it where you save the mission in the editor.

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #2 on: 28 Nov 2004, 00:59:32 »
1.   If a script has been published (for example in the Editors Depot) then you do not need to ask the author if you can use it in a mission - he has already implicitly given you permission by publishing it.   However, you must acknowledge the author in your readme and many people also do so in the credits during their Intro or Outro.     The important thing is that you must not pass off other people's work as your own.

If you use a script it is also polite to tell the author by email or IM.   For an author it's nice to know that the script is being used and to see it in action in somebody else's mission.

If you have made only minor changes to the script then you don't need to ask permission.     For example, if it was a paradropping script and you wanted the loons to jump out more slowly for some reason, you could change the delay.    

However, if you have made significant changes to the script, so that there is now some doubt over who is the real author - the original guy or you - you must ask.

If you're not sure, then ask.    Always consider how you would feel if you were the original author.    It is very rare of for an author to refuse permission.     Some authors include general permission to change a script within the script itself.   In such cases it is usual to describe it as "my tank rotating script, based on so-and-so's house spinning script."

Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline penguinman

• Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: 28 Nov 2004, 01:28:34 »
1. thanks il ask just in case, dmakatra i think you were wrong  :P   Well now you cant say im never wrong ever again in a post :P

2. I mean like when i want to post it in the mission beta testing thing. How do i make it so it just has a mission file in it and no script files or briefings, and is small enough that I can post it.
thanks
« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2004, 01:29:59 by penguinman »

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #4 on: 28 Nov 2004, 10:57:06 »
1) How was I wrong? The script may be copyrighted, then you can't even change the tiniest bit. However, most authors will let you edit their script and some authors might even write in their readme (or in the begining of the script) file that you are free to edit as you like.

2) Just like I said, export to single missions and you'll find your .pbo file in the missions folder.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #5 on: 28 Nov 2004, 12:37:50 »
1.  I thought Armsty was right, I just added a little practical advice.

2.  Read macguba's guide to mission editing for beginners (in the Editors Depot) and the sticky topic at the top of the beta testing board.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline penguinman

• Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: 28 Nov 2004, 18:15:09 »
hmmm i dont know :-\

armstys basic awnser

quote from dmakatra
Yes.

macgubas basic awnser:
quote from macguba
you do not need to ask the author if you can use it in a mission

but thanks
« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2004, 18:15:40 by penguinman »

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #7 on: 28 Nov 2004, 18:47:13 »
Of course you don't have the ask to use it. You have to ask if you can MODIFY it. That's two different things.