Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: turbulence  (Read 669 times)

Offline penguinman

• Contributing Member
  • Money is worthless, just paper, ink, and threads
turbulence
« on: 06 Nov 2004, 21:43:59 »
Hello,
is there a way to create turbulence for the guys in the cargo  of a transport plane

I have a mission where a bunch of guys are in a c-130.
in really stormy weather. I need the plane to all of a sudden drop like 20-30 feet like it was just falling. this will simulate turbulence.

Also how would I make super stormy weather. not just the thunder/shower/overcast that comes with editor.

is it possible to make wind?

Thanks

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
Re:turbulence
« Reply #1 on: 06 Nov 2004, 21:53:46 »
You could use setPos to make the plane jump, not sure how effective it would be at simulating turbulance though.

There is wind in the game, it comes with the weather and has random direction.    It gets stronger when the weather is bad, obviously.    It affects things like flags, it does not affect bullet flight path.   (Gravity does.)
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #2 on: 07 Nov 2004, 00:09:29 »
I don't think the weather affects aircraft though. Might be a nice thing to add into the ECP...

But this may be easy to do via setvelocity... something like this:

plane setvelocity [velocity plane select 0, velocity plane select 1, (velocity plane select 2) - 50]

I dunno if that would work well, but give it a shot, playing with the last number.
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

bored_onion

« Reply #3 on: 07 Nov 2004, 00:09:39 »
i think their may be a function in the function library that deals with aircraft pitch/yaw etc and that might make turbulence more realistic

HuNtA

« Reply #4 on: 07 Nov 2004, 22:13:55 »
they just get the pitch/yaw, not change it (trust me, ive tried making an Ai barrel roll script, but it never works :P)

Setvelocity is the way to go

Offline penguinman

• Contributing Member
  • Money is worthless, just paper, ink, and threads
« Reply #5 on: 08 Nov 2004, 00:34:49 »
how do you use set velocity is there a tut or somthing that is 1 comand i have trouble with

Offline Triggerhappy

• Contributing Member
  • Llama, it's what's for dinner.
« Reply #6 on: 08 Nov 2004, 01:43:25 »
i made a script and tested it out with both velocity and setpos, and velocity was hardly noticeable, but using setpos i made fairly decent script considering i didn't put much time into it... it attached

use it with a trigger, activated by whatever will experience the turbulence,and in the activation line put:
[NameOfPlane,distance] exec "turbulence.sqs"
distance is how far the plane will go before it leaves the turbulence

(this script is in need of a few fixes, don't expect it to work perfectly)
« Last Edit: 08 Nov 2004, 01:44:56 by Triggerhappy »

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #7 on: 08 Nov 2004, 05:04:41 »
how do you use set velocity is there a tut or somthing that is 1 comand i have trouble with

It is a very simple command, but how you use it will depend entirely on the situation. It works like this:

vehicle setvelocity [x,y,z]

x is the amount of speed you will give the vehicle in the west (positive number for x) or east (negative number for x) direction. y is the amount of speed in the north (positive) or south (negative) direction. z is the amount of speed in the up (positive) or down (negative) direction. The speeds are all in meters/second.

A common use of the command would be to give an object a push in the direction it is facing. In this case, using our knowledge of basic trig, we use the command like this:

vehicle setvelocity [V*(cos getdir vehicle), V*(sin getdir vehicle), 0]

This will make the vehicle move at V m/s in the direction it is facing.
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
« Reply #8 on: 08 Nov 2004, 23:52:11 »

Hello,
is there a way to create turbulence for the guys in the cargo  of a transport plane

I have a mission where a bunch of guys are in a c-130.
in really stormy weather. I need the plane to all of a sudden drop like 20-30 feet like it was just falling. this will simulate turbulence.

Also how would I make super stormy weather. not just the thunder/shower/overcast that comes with editor.

is it possible to make wind?

Thanks

:wave: helooowe matey! I just heard ya say turbulence!! :beat: ;D ;D ;D

Howsabout a shaky-cam and then simply setpos the plane? ??? :D

At the spot where its supposed to loose height, launch a tiny cutscene: fly into a trigger that creates a
shaky camera (see the editors depot) positioned where YOU sit in cargo (if thats what ye want). Then while
this goes on, simply setpos the plane!

simple, clean, neat! :) why make it hard, m8? :thumbsup:

later,

Tombs :-*