Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Someone to make a diagram about scripting to very slow learner :(  (Read 1188 times)

Offline Chammy

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
I was wondernig if someone can do me the favor of making a diagram on how a script works or on how to put one togther, i mean, Im sorry guys but it just aint clicking,  I mean, i can learn Imigration Laws and Gun Laws of California but I just cant seem to learn Java.Sorry all for my petty whinings but i think i might be able to learn faster with a picto diagram.  :-\

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
Java has nuthin to do with OFP man.

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

Dubieman

Here's one that is narrated, read it, by CHOFPSE as I'm too lazy to make one up myself.

pay attention to the comments after the   ;   symbol.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
The path is well-worn:  read snYpir's A Friendly Intro to Code Snippets and Johan Gustafsson's Scripting Tutorial.    Don't worrry if it doesn't make too much sense, just press on - you need to understand the broad picture to understand the detail, and vice versa.

When you've read those, get the Tutorial Mission and look at the very very VERY simple working scripts it has.    Suddenly it will all start to fall into place.    

All three are in the Editors Depot.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline Chammy

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
Well it looks like Java dont get me wrong ok Armstrong, soorrrrryyyeeee.

Well im trying to make one myself but thanx all.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
OFP script looks a bit like Java, a bit like C++ say others, and a bit like BASIC say the real old timers.  

The plain truth as, as all scripters know, IT IS A LAW UNTO ITSELF.

Kuro found a beauty the other day:  for subfolder paths you can use \ or / in the mission editor.   However, only one of them (I've forgotten which already) works if the mission is a .pbo.    ::)   You couldn't make it up.

Offline Chammy

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
Well all i was trying to do  is make a diagram of a scripting tutorial so i can understand better, not put it in a game.Thats what i was trying to suggest. I have been having trouble understanding the concept.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
What are you having trouble with in particular?    Can you be more specific about what you do understand, and what's causing a bit of trouble?  

It's kinda hard to put into a diagram, and we don't know what you know which makes it even harder.   :P

Kammak

macguba is correct.  I started out to write a simple helpful post for you, but I quickly had 4 screens-full of text!  :)

Need to narrow it down a bit.

Do you understand what variables and arrays are?

Are you having trouble understanding the scripting reference documentation?

Do you have any programming experience?
If you know a language, its much easier - "<this> in OFP is like <that> in C"

etc...

m21man

Kuro found a beauty the other day:  for subfolder paths you can use \ or / in the mission editor.  However, only one of them (I've forgotten which already) works if the mission is a .pbo.      You couldn't make it up.
You can only use the " \ " if you want it to work in a mission.

Offline Chammy

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
Well i finally got my hands  on a commands refernce manual, Holy Bu Jesus! gash there are alot of commands.  Well, i keep getting the _this = _this something and such mixed with each other and arrays, I dont know what they are and variables. I will report later.

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
Well, i keep getting the _this = _this something and such mixed with each other and arrays, I dont know what they are and variables.
Great! You can be the first one to try out (and give me feedback) on my first tutorial, which deals with this very subject! It's called "All About 'This'", and it can be found here:

http://www.ofpec.com/editors/resource_view.php?id=706

Now, from the impression I'm getting of what you know/don't know, I'll give you the following advise: don't worry about writing scripts just yet. For now, focus on using commands in init fields, triggers and waypoints. As you do that, you will get practice with the commands, and you will start to understand the type of language the com ref uses. So for that, you only need the first part of my tutorial, as you will see.

Once you have got init fields and triggers figured out, you will be ready to move onto scripting. Then you'll realize that it really is the same thing you've been doing with triggers/init fields, only a lot more versitile. But anyway, read my tut as far as it tells you to, and let me know if it helps any.  ;D
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Offline Chammy

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
Awesome! ;D I'm checking it out now, thnx.

BigBonga

OFP scripting is based upon java.

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
Thought it was based on C (know a bit C++ and it's really close) but I've never touched Java so I don't know. Anyway, what I meant in the orginal post was that you don't need to learn Java to learn OFP scripting code. Anyway, the problem's solved so why dig it up? ;)

BigBonga

I du it up because i like facts to be correctly stated.
Incorrect facts waste time.
Now that i think about it OFP scripting is probably more closely based on javascript rather than java. Something i first noticed years ago in computing classes at school.
It may appear similar to C, but thats because both it and C are high level languaes and thus all appear remotely similar :p

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
OK, then I wish to correct my statement. It's still true that you don't need to know squat about "real" scripting languages to get into OFP, like I did. :)

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
OFP Scripting is based on.......wait for it.......

OFP Script

Planck
« Last Edit: 28 Oct 2004, 20:05:33 by Planck »
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline Sui

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
LOL... OFPscript really isn't based on Java or Javascript ;)

It's a force unto itself...

I reckon the guys at BIS got really toked up on some really good stuff, then sat down and wrote it.

I mean, most of us figure the reason half the words are misspelt are because they're Czech, but you really have to ask yourself huh? What were they smokin? ;D

Offline Blanco

• Former Staff
lol, or drinking... Tjechs are the heaviest drinkers AFAIK,  
(o-o-o what am I saying now...)  :cheers:

The hardest part for me was understanding arrays, global and local variables, format, call, and all the coimmands with list in it  :)  Basic stuff I guess for someone with scripting knowledge...

Understanding the format command was also a big step forward for me , because then I could finally see what I was doing there. Seeing is knowing.
Also the error messages in the editor are not just a wicked line of code anymore. It tells you exactly what's wrong in the script (if the line it's not to long for reading...)

Anyway, If I can , everybody can  :)
lol, sometimes I was busy with writing scripts based on  reallife situations...if you know what I mean...

Search or search or search before you ask.