Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Making a sound element move?  (Read 394 times)

Offline Chammy

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
Making a sound element move?
« on: 02 Sep 2004, 12:14:07 »
I'd like to know if there is a way that I can make sound travel,for example:

I want to put radio chatter in a heli and would like to hear it as im in it,BUT, not hear it when I get out or hear it as if I was next to it but not loud when I am away from it.

And another where I can hear the sound travel around me,like as if I heard a guy running around an area and if he was whisling a tune hear it from the direction he was coming from.

Is there a way?

Offline ACF

• Members
  • Llama?? Ain't that French for tanks?
Re:Making a sound element move?
« Reply #1 on: 02 Sep 2004, 14:49:27 »
I'll tackle the last one first as it's easiest:  simply get a moving unit/object to 'Say' the sound, looped if necessary,  eg:

runningman Say "whistle"

Voices in vehicles are not hard, but may take a bit of effort to get them to sound right - sound seems to carry a long way in OFP.  

The conventional approach would be to configure the sound sample for radio, then play it using VehicleRadio so you to hear it only while you're inside (I think that's how it works).  If you had to 'overhear' the chatter outside you could duplicate the same sample in CfgSound at a low volume and 'Say' that at the same time:

helichopper VehicleRadio "radioquestion"
helichopper Say "radioquestionlow"

Snag is you'll hear the Say sample in the vehicle as well, if it's loud enough.

The other approach that gives you the flexibility to use -Radio, Say or PlaySound commands is to make it conditional on where you are:

?(Vehicle player == helichopper): helichopper Say 'effoffthen'

Experimentation is the order of the day, I'm afraid.

Offline Chammy

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2004, 00:25:40 »
OK so when I do this I am not going to have to use it as a music file, like when you put music in with an intro?  I can just make the sound sample and have it play via a script and lip and the volume wont be affected by the level in the game options/music volume? ANd it can be downloaded along with the mission right?

Offline MachoMan

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • KISS, Keep it Simple Stupid
« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2004, 23:37:45 »
right ;D
Get those missions out there you morons!

Offline Chammy

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: 01 Dec 2004, 02:20:33 »
WOOHOO!!     quote the Raven....