Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Sidechat issues in MP  (Read 1166 times)

AUS_Viper

Sidechat issues in MP
« on: 06 Oct 2004, 09:17:56 »
Can someone explain why this doesn't work:

2 teams of human controlled players in MP - both East and West.
2 sets of different sidechat messages for each side which gives mission objectives, Intel updates etc . I used sidechat so the other side doesn't hear.

I try in game editor as a both East and as a West and receive both sidechat messages.

I try in MP and only the West team gets the messages. The script controlling this is definately is working as other things are occurring that should.

Both messages come from in the form of westboss sidechat ("Blah Blah") or eastboss sidechat ("blah" "blah").

Any reason why this doesn't work?

Should I use groupchat instead of sidechat?

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
Re:Sidechat issues in MP
« Reply #1 on: 06 Oct 2004, 10:16:53 »
If a West unit 'says' a sidechat it should be visible for West only. If a East unit 'says' a sidechat it should be visible for East only.

You say West can see their sidechat but East can't see their's? And no error messages? I'm puzzled. Maybe you could show us the actual code and an exact description of how you have the units set up.
« Last Edit: 06 Oct 2004, 10:17:00 by Artak »
Not all is lost.

AUS_Viper

« Reply #2 on: 06 Oct 2004, 11:56:45 »
Both East and West "talkers" are single units set up called eastboss and westboss respectively.  Neither of these are part of any group.

On starting the mission, a script is run with the sidechat messages to explain objectives etc.

In the editor after choosing an East unit and a West unit for testing, both messages are visible to their respective squads.  Neither can see the other sides messages, just the message they are designed to.

In MP for some reason when you play as any East unit, you don't see the message.

The West units that are all one group and the East units (playable) are all one group.

Do you need to see the mission file or is this a bit clearer?

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #3 on: 06 Oct 2004, 20:08:13 »
Well that sounds about right. I've got nothing, sorry  :-\
Not all is lost.

Korax

« Reply #4 on: 08 Oct 2004, 07:23:57 »
Maybe eastboss is dead somehow? or mayhap westboss shot him?
Heres something that will help, instead of making a new guy and naming him to do sidechats, just use this line of code
Code: [Select]
[west,"HQ"] sidechat "Blah Blah Blah"
OR
[east,"HQ"] sidechat "Blah Blah Blah"
No unit is required, and this will show up as PAPA_BEAR: Blah blah blah to the respective team