Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: OFP languages  (Read 1166 times)

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
OFP languages
« on: 16 Sep 2004, 23:38:44 »
Upon unpboing a BIS mission I found briefings in French, German, Italian and Spanish, named

briefing.Spanish.html

and so on.   Upon further investigation I discovered that by making the appropriate selection in Flashpoint Preferences I could make these briefings appear automatically.    So far so good.   All I need to do is get my briefing for Un-Impossible translated (volunteers welcome, send me an IM) and Bob's your auntie's live in lover.

The question is, what other languages, if any, does OFP support?  

Many thanks.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline shinraiden

• Members
  • kiite, mite, katta
Re:OFP languages
« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2004, 01:20:57 »
Out of the box, as you discovered, it only supports English, French, Italian, Spanish, and German, and the fonts in /dta/fonts.pbo and /res/dta/fonts.pbo only support those languages.

http://www.bistudio.com/sales.html

There have been ports done to Czech (of course), Russian, and Korean and Polish. These are all local-specific and done by authorized third parties. Russian has Resistance, the others probably do too.

Some players in Taiwan have cobbled together a system for essentially faking chinese, but the issues there still make it barely understandable. Japanese would be doable, I thought I saw something today but haven't been able to confirm it. Portugese-Brazil would definately be a strong one for BIS to consider for OFP2.

-edit-

Japanese OFP CWC through RES available here.
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2004, 01:47:56 by shinRaiden »

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #2 on: 17 Sep 2004, 07:25:59 »
Out of the box, as you discovered, it only supports English, French, Italian, Spanish, and German, and the fonts in /dta/fonts.pbo and /res/dta/fonts.pbo only support those languages.

Hmm... I was looking into multi-language support for something too, so I depbo'd the g36a addon. In the stringtable, there are entries for English,  French, Italian, Spanish, German, and Czech. If BIS's own addon has czech support, I would think that is a standard OFP language as well. Considering how the original release of the game was in czech (right?), it would make sense.
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Offline shinraiden

• Members
  • kiite, mite, katta
« Reply #3 on: 17 Sep 2004, 08:14:50 »
Possiblely. The \bin\stringtable.csv and \res\bin\stringtable.csv both have entries for Czech, but campaigns 1985 and Red Hammer do not, but Resistance does. According to the BIS link I posted earlier,

The Operation Flashpoint series comes with English sound and English, German, Spanish, French and Italian subtitles.

and

The Czech version is published by Cenega Czech, the Korean version by Korea Infogrames Korea, the Polish version by Cenega Poland and the Russian version by Buka (Operation Flashpoint: Resistance is published by 1C).

The imagineer.jp site looks like a legit outfit, but no mention of it so far as I've seen from BIS.

Uldics

« Reply #4 on: 17 Sep 2004, 09:16:02 »
As we speak of languages: how do I make the OFP show the right fonts? I mean I have english version of the game (GOTY), and I often play together with people with russian versions. And when they write something in chat in russian with the russian font, I only see a bunch of symbols, not the russian ones. Also when someone shoots another guy, I see "Nick1 #¤%"#¤% Nick2".

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #5 on: 17 Sep 2004, 10:35:38 »
Thank you chaps.

What are the briefing file names and stringtable.csv headers for Polish, Czech, Russian and Korean?
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline shinraiden

• Members
  • kiite, mite, katta
« Reply #6 on: 17 Sep 2004, 20:30:47 »
I have no idea where the Koreans hang out. You can try http://ofpac.hp.infoseek.co.jp/ for the Japanese crowd, they might know best on the Koreans. Polish and Czech, try ofp.info, there's another .pl site that is major but which escapes me at the moment. Flashpoint.ru should be able to cover the Russian. I strongly suspect though that the file format for the localized stringtable.csv's is incompatible with the 'westernized' versions though.

@Uldics. You don't have the right fonts, and unless you buy the localized versions you won't. Sorry. It's not just the font coding either, there is also some infrastructure behind there as well.