Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Combat photographer  (Read 2102 times)

Offline Mud_Spike

• Contributing Member
Combat photographer
« on: 12 Aug 2004, 22:11:36 »
This addon is probably not feasible, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

What if you had a combat photographer, with a camera as primary weapon, attached to your squad?
Whats the use, you ask.
What if that photographer could take real screenshots?

Lets say the camera was magazine-fed (36 "bullets"/shots) and had an inbetween-shots reload/action-reseating time of a couple of second.
The photographer would engage enemies, but instead of getting bullets down their way, he would snap a picture which was saved to disk, reload (with the long reload time, he wouldnt fill up your disk with similar shots), engage again, and so on, like any other AI unit.

And with a little luck, he would capture the action in the heat of the battle when you are too busy to take screenshots, AND capture YOU in the shot, off-guard (photosession-wise) doing your rambo-moves, which makes it alittle more interesting.

Problems:
1) The viewport is yours, not the photographers, so you would have to SwitchCamera to that unit for each shot - flickery and annoying.
2) Actually trigger the screenshot software. I dont know of any way for OPF to communicate with other processes / send non-keyboad-generated key-events. This could be solved with Kegetys DirectX DLL, i.e., trigger on a certain colour which is emitted for each shot. (an RscTitles image perhaps), but then again, back to problem #1.

Oh well, just thought Id share that before I completely forgot about it.

bigdog632

Re:Combat photographer
« Reply #1 on: 13 Aug 2004, 05:16:40 »
just what i need an AI to take a photo of me getting greased by an ai i didnt see

Dubieman

« Reply #2 on: 13 Aug 2004, 05:21:13 »
It'd be cool, after the fight go back and pick the screenies you want...

Maybe when the aI gets a pic of someone dying it can do a slow mo like flip book, pic by pic by pic by pic you see the guy start falling and after a sec or two, boom he's on the ground... :P

bigdog632

« Reply #3 on: 14 Aug 2004, 03:10:44 »
instant replay

Homefry31464

« Reply #4 on: 14 Aug 2004, 03:47:32 »
The DXDLL thing can take screenshots, so there is a way....

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #5 on: 15 Aug 2004, 22:45:08 »
It just waits for a BMP int he clipboard (External program?)
and saves it
:(
- Ben
PS.. i think :P

Offline Roni

• Members
  • Play the Game !
« Reply #6 on: 16 Aug 2004, 02:00:28 »
This would be way cool !  You could script the photojournalist with an eventhandler internal to the addon so he would only takes shots if there were shots being fired or lots of guys moving around.

I was working on a dowsing script (find buried water) a few weeks back and I wanted to find out the heights of the area surrounding the player (so if he was in a gully he'd find more water etc).  To do this I was going to place an imaginary object next to the player and move it around him, but then I decided that I'd use the player himself !  I set the loop pause so short (~0.001 or something) that you don't even see it !

You could do the same here.  Every time the photojourno's script said "take a photo now" you would simply cut camera view to him, take screenshot and zip back, all in under 0.001 of a second.  Seemless ! (Hopefully !).

And if you really wanted to, you could actually quick black in title cut, hold that view with a cinema border, run a "click" sound and return, so you'd know what was being shot.  You might even make it an adddaction to have the cut view or not.

This wouldn't change the world but it would be kind of a neat little addon !

Cheers

Roni

m21man

« Reply #7 on: 16 Aug 2004, 02:05:33 »
Well, just script it so that every time he fires, it creates a game camera aimed at his target's location, goes into slow motion, gives you a second to hit PrintScreen, and then reverts to normal view and time.

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #8 on: 17 Aug 2004, 17:54:34 »
Theres a command, I can't remeber..
Something like switchview
Theres an example of it in the eds depot
It lets you view the AI players view, and the cargos view, the driver view.. Everything :)
- Ben

Offline Mud_Spike

• Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: 17 Aug 2004, 18:41:23 »
SetAccTime doesnt work in multiplayer though, but I like the idea, if auto-screenshooting is a No-Go.
Oh, and the command is switchCamera for viewport swapping.

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #10 on: 22 Aug 2004, 18:40:55 »
Thats the one ;)
I guess.. If you do something like an external app, that checks for a certain colour in the top left pixel, and if it detects it, takes a screenshot..
Something like that..
Very hard to implement, but could give some really cool results :)
Apart from that, I cant think of any other ideas :-\
- Ben

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #11 on: 06 May 2005, 18:11:52 »
..sorry to bring up old thread, but..
This could be answer to this problem, if I can work out how :P
- Ben

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
    • Royal Air Assault Battalion
« Reply #12 on: 06 May 2005, 18:49:44 »
This sounds really good. I can just imagine playing a really fast WW2 mission, like the Omaha beach one, remaking it to have AI camera men in it, then change the pics they take into black and white. That would look so cool  ;D
Royal Air Assault Battalion - [L/Cpl] Greg
RAAB

johan_d2

« Reply #13 on: 10 May 2005, 08:23:31 »
Would also be nice if the player could be the camera man..

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #14 on: 10 May 2005, 21:45:02 »
That was the origonal plan :P
Getting there :)
Gotta go..
- Ben