Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Life Jacket  (Read 1130 times)

olseric

Life Jacket
« on: 24 Jul 2004, 16:47:20 »
The one thing that I wish someone would make is a life jacket.  I'm sick of bailing out over the water and drowning.

I know that Colonel Klink is working on one to be released in his next Fishing Boats release, however, I still can't believe that this game has been out four years and still nobody has made one!

If I was any good at making add-ons, I would undertake it myself, however, I know very little about it.  Speaking from a logical/programming mind though, I know what the best way to do it would be (IMHO):

1. Make it an item that adds-on similar to the NVG's or Binocs.
2. When worn, it detects whether you're over water or land.  When over land, it's just a visual model.  When over water, create a transparent box underneath your person so he/she can stand on it with head above water.  This *should* allow for movement in the water simulating treading water without drowning (similar to what happens when you wade in the edge).

OrangeLeader

Re:Life Jacket
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2004, 17:54:04 »
There was something like that in a WWII plan addon. You hit the water and then you are in a invsiable boat. It was real slow and did not help you get to land.

This is a alright idea, but it does not seem pratical. If you bail out at the edge of the map. Are you really going to tread water to get abck to land? And then what? You have no plane, you are in enemy territory. It would make sense if this was a basis of a mission, you know the pilot turns commando.

olseric

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul 2004, 18:40:51 »
Well, the idea was not so much that you could tread back to land, but so that you could fly out with a helo and pick the pilot (or whatever) up.

The models that turn the person into a vehicle (such as the COC Divers) work great, BUT, when you're ALREADY IN a vehicle, you can't get into one (i.e. water rescue not possible).

And, BTW, you ever notice how SLOW you move when you're in the water (especially as it gets deeper)? ;)
« Last Edit: 24 Jul 2004, 18:41:49 by olseric »

OrangeLeader

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jul 2004, 22:18:13 »
The effect you want can be done with some scripting.
If you hit the water it activates. The script creates a raft(some addon) with the player in it. A message tells you that the rescue chopper is inbound. The ETA could be included. When the helo comes it takes up a holding position over you. Then you could have a radio command that switches your position to in the chopper. The raft is then deleted and the helo heds home. A more advanced script could use the ladder feature on the BAS Blackhawk. You would go from the raft to the bottom of the ladder.

I wish I could make this script, but my knowledge of scripting is not that advanced. Hopefully someone else will want to make it.

Offline Roni

• Members
  • Play the Game !
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul 2004, 05:17:30 »
Hw about this for an algorithm -

; The Script (activated by Init.sqs or from player Init field)

Check every second or so
If player zPos > -10 then continue looping (player underwater !)

Create raft object
Place player in raft object  (he'll appear on the surface)

Create helo about 5k away
Create helo waypoint on players position
Create addaction on helo = "Get in Helicopter"

Once the helo appears above the player he will be able to use the addaction . . .

; The Addaction

Create helo rope
Get player out of raft and onto rope

Move player up rope in incremental moves

When player zPos = helo zPos delete rope, put player in helo

Move helo waypoint 5 k away
Pause
End mission

Like that Miss Pat ?  :)

Roni

sciencetweak

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jul 2004, 13:33:55 »
The USCG pack 1 has a script which makes a life jacket, dePBO the raft.pbo and look in the scripts there.

I'd like to work out the script for the changing vehicle, I'll go have a look now and see what I can do

olseric

« Reply #6 on: 01 Aug 2004, 05:29:57 »
The only problem with making a vehicle is that you can't then move into a vehicle to mount it.

I'll take a look at the life jacket stuff and see if there isn't something there to work with. :)

Nulear_Man

« Reply #7 on: 01 Aug 2004, 09:50:21 »
Downlaod COC Divers it contains a Lar Rebreather that you could use

olseric

« Reply #8 on: 04 Aug 2004, 10:39:17 »
Once again, it creates a vehicle...e.g. you're in a vehicle, you can't get into another.  We're back to square one.

That's why I'm saying rather than create a vehicle and put you in as the drvier, it would need to be more like standing on a block that puts you at the correct height so just your upper torso and head are out of the water (i.e. wading) so that you don't drown and STILL have the ability to get in/out of vehicles (e.g. SAR pickup).

Nulear_Man

« Reply #9 on: 04 Aug 2004, 14:23:20 »
Hmmmm
A unit with Hight Armor Would Kinda Work (Have to Be Like 10000 Thought)

Offline Colonel_Klink

• Members
  • Independent Addon Creator
    • DC3D Game Modelling Zone
« Reply #10 on: 06 Aug 2004, 11:53:11 »
Hi. In the upcoming new release of the fishing boats you will be able to abandonship (get into lifejacket/raft/ring) then get onto another boat ie fishing boat/police launch/life raft/BIS boats, as well as be rescued by any chopper that uses a rescue script.
The example mission I am working on has ai abandon a doomed fishing boat and while some appear in a life raft, other s are in the water with lifejackets on. They are then rescued by the player in the police launch and dropped elsewhere.
getin getour and eject fuctions are removed but using scripts for new actions the ability to get into other craft can be done.
Rebel without a pause...D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.