Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Genral language in scripts and such  (Read 503 times)

Dubieman

Genral language in scripts and such
« on: 02 Aug 2004, 03:54:19 »
Not a problem, just wondering my head off.

Anyways I depboed a few BIS missions and the campaigns to see what they did. I know variable names can be anything like they had "pudev" or something. Now I know stringtables can clear this up but do people have to use the english language to write say, "pilot moveindriver heli".

Like in Spanish would they do it in spanish or in english?
Or does the spanish version of the game have the stringtable that takes care of all that?

Also we all know sytax is tricky at times and does this get affected by language too?

For instance some people post scripts here on OFPEC, may not speak english, would they have to convert their script to english for it too work?

:P ???
thanks
« Last Edit: 02 Aug 2004, 03:55:28 by GuiltyRoachKillar »

asmodeus

Re:Genral language in scripts and such
« Reply #1 on: 02 Aug 2004, 08:01:20 »
Well, I'm not quite sure what you're asking, but I'll take a stab at it...   :P

If you are a scripter and you make a script in your own language, it'll work in any language of OFP as long as it is activated correctly.  

Variables can be in any language as long as everything is where it should be.   ;D

Hope that helps,

Asmo

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #2 on: 02 Aug 2004, 14:56:49 »
Exactly.

The OFP sqs/sqf code language does not change with the language region.
That would actually be pretty insane as they would have to code the whole game for each language then ::) :P

But, the variables can be ALMOST everything... :P
If you are for example Finnish, you can not use the alphabets in Finnish alpahbet like 'å', 'ä' or 'ö'...
afaik 'ä' works, but if you try to use 'å' or 'ö' in a variable you will get some error, probably 'general error in expression'...

Stringtable has nothing to do with this, because the stringtable 'shortcuts' (calls, whatever), the Str_xxx_xx, are always the same in every single language, only the content of that 'shortcut' is different...
And I have never seen BIS use stringtable 'shortcuts' as variables, even the guy sideRadio "STR_xxx_x" is the name of the radio sound in the mission description.ext and the name of the sound and the stringtable shortcut, so that is used just to keep track of things...

So no, you can be even from Sirius and write a script and it will work in OFP without any conversions...
Of course the OFP scripting commands need to be correct... :P
« Last Edit: 02 Aug 2004, 14:58:01 by HateR_Kint »
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

Dubieman

« Reply #3 on: 02 Aug 2004, 16:26:31 »
Yea a little confusing but I get that variables can be anything like "caliente" to "dogpoopy", but now I can refine my question. For instance all the commands, like moveindriver, would have to be in english if you had the finnish version of the game? It wouldn't work if you wrote moveindriver in finnish right?

I dunno, getting out of my element... :P

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #4 on: 02 Aug 2004, 19:30:50 »
Yes, like I said, the OFP scripting commands must be like they are, in english, which is because all major coding languages (C, C++) are in english...

No matter which language version you have...
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

Dubieman

« Reply #5 on: 02 Aug 2004, 20:53:52 »
Alrighty then,
I'm guessing that anyone who doesn't speak english has to learn a little to be a scriptor in OFP then?

:P
If that's so, that sucks... :P

Offline Chris Death

• Former Staff
  • Finally Death's gonna get ya
    • OFPEC
« Reply #6 on: 02 Aug 2004, 21:17:24 »
No Roach, they don't have to learn English - all they need to
do is to:

learn OFP scripting language

If there where everything in Kisuahely, or in Latin, it would
still be no difference - apart of the spelling  :D

There are for example already tutorials in German or Dutch
language available, and i'm certain that  after some investigation you may even find czech', spanish, french or italian
versions (at least parts of it), somewhere around.

The English language was taken, because programming languages are usually using English words (as HateR_Kint already mentioned above).

~S~ CD
Dont argue with idiots....they will bring you down to their level and beat you there with experience.

How to use Waypoint type Scripted

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #7 on: 02 Aug 2004, 23:50:06 »
OFPEC is an English language site but one of the places we make exceptions is in the Ed Depot - we are happy to host non-English tutorials.    We should really have the comref in various languages.

But remember that something like 1 person in 3 on this planet speaks at least some English.    English is the most widespread mother tongue and about 3rd most common mother tongue.   (Nothing to do with either America or the internet of course.    Don't quote me exactly on the figures.)
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Dubieman

« Reply #8 on: 02 Aug 2004, 23:52:07 »
Yea I wondered how some of you did OFP scripting and posted here easily like Chris and others....

*solved* 8)