Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Addons Needed - Canteen, MRE  (Read 1708 times)

Offline Roni

• Members
  • Play the Game !
Re:Addons Needed - Canteen, MRE
« Reply #15 on: 22 Jul 2004, 05:57:55 »
Oh, these items will be necessary all right !

I've completed about 90% of the mission, there are just one or two scripts to finish (hunger.sqs and thirst.sqs) and I'll be ready to test it all out.

Basically, you start in an Army Cessna on a simple mail run to Malden.  The problem is - you have no compass, no map and no fuel.  It's 5:30 at night, visibility is down to 400m and it's pissing down rain.  The plane is breaking up and it looks like your only option is to bail out (or trust your life to the landing skills of the AI pilot !).  Oh, and did I mention that you have no weapons apart from your side arm ?   ;D

I have a time dilation script running that makes each day pass in about 12 minutes.  The Fatigue script will start to knock you out once you go more than 12 hours without sleep (via a VERY slow BLACK OUT titlecut !), so that after 36 hours without sleep all will be black.  If you're playing MP your only chance at that stage is to get your bud to lead you ("left, now right . . "   :P ), otherwise you just have to lie down and wait to wake up.

You can recover lost fatigue by building a camp and/or a fire via your addactions, or finding a nice dry building to curl up in.  Obviously, being warm and in bed is better than being cold so you had better light that fire no matter where you sleep !  But you'd better watch out for the Russians !

Didn't I mention them ?   ;)  Well, there are a number of groups chasing you, all using two special scripts - one which tops up their losses (adds new units to the group every 2 minutes) and the other which continually resets their "Seek and Destroy" waypoint onto your sorry little head !  Your ONE saving grace is that the rate at which it is reset depends upon their "knowsAbout" rating, so if you stay low and keep moving you should be okay  :-[  :help:

But of course you will have to stop and eat at some stage, won't you ?  That's where the canteens and MRE's come in.  I'm going to start you with NONE (I'm a BAD man !), but of course yet ANOTHER script running in the background "may" create them for you inside any building you pass.

So, running, hiding, looting, resting, eating, crawling, drinking, sleeping - it should all be good !  Your group will have three members and Group respawn, so you will in effect have three lives

All in all it should be way sweet !  And of course I will post the lot once it's finished.

Cheers

Roni

PS - oyman - I'll credit you in the addon for the models - thanks again !  :)

Dubieman

« Reply #16 on: 22 Jul 2004, 06:06:16 »
Sounds cool, it revamps the old west vs. east crap that we are all tired of. I hope these addons are only like 50kb or smaller. The mission will really be playable. And Army cennsa? Ahh well good luck with it. Can't wait to beta it. :)

(the sovs got a base, clear it so we can take it.  next mission, defend our base from those odd soviets, it seems they won't leave us alone...)

Offline oyman

• Members
  • king of pings
« Reply #17 on: 22 Jul 2004, 16:44:12 »
PS - oyman - I'll credit you in the addon for the models - thanks again !  :)

dont forget to credit Rudedog for the textures on the MRE

Offline Roni

• Members
  • Play the Game !
« Reply #18 on: 22 Jul 2004, 23:59:12 »
[size=18]It's Finished ! [/size]  :cheers:

It's not perfect, but after about a dozen compilations I finally got it working !  I'm still not quite sure what i did, but from what i can tell it looks as if new grenade type objects (at least) need to have a new associated "Throw" weapon and a new Unit type to carry it.  :-\

I'm not sure which of these is truly necessary but I decided in the end to make a new Civilian unit type (Supplies Carrier) and it works a charm.  I tested it out by attaching a whole bunch of these guys to an East unit and a West unit - you should see those canteens fly !  :gunman:  :help:  :tomato:

Unfortunately, the addon weighs in at around 480 kb (90% of which is made up of sound files), which is too big to attach here.  If anyone knows how to host this or if you want me send it to you please let me know.

One other quirk.  As I said - I wasn't really sure what I was doing, but I've somehow ended up creating a "Canteen" and "MRE" weapons as well as "Canteen" and "MRE" magazines.  Before you can get your units to throw their lunches at other people you need to give them the appropriate weapon first.  It looks as if your Canteen can't be a weapon unless you've got the appropriate launcher !  ???  :P

Well, nuff for now.  AS I said - if anyone can help me host the addon or wants me to send it to them directly please let me know.

And to oyman, Rudedog, Gimbal and all the rest who helped -  THANK YOU !

:thumbsup:

ROni

PS - Coming up - empty canteens vs full ones, ruck sacks and webbings.  Apparently you can attach scripts to these things - I'm going to try nd make a Bag of Holding !

Cheers !
« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2004, 03:16:02 by Roni »