Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: shelling  (Read 542 times)

minimilo

shelling
« on: 01 Jul 2004, 19:57:48 »
im very new to complicated editing, and i need to know how to make a sheeling of an area, like the one in the underhill mission that comes with the resistance pack.
cheers

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
Re:shelling
« Reply #1 on: 01 Jul 2004, 20:18:40 »
Have a good hunt around the Editors Depot.    There are lots of  things there that will help you.   In fact, probably too many, so tell us a bit more about what you are trying to do.   Do you want the player to be able to call in a fire support mission?   Or is it just for a cutscene?   Or what?
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Cool Z

« Reply #2 on: 01 Jul 2004, 20:39:50 »
Well, if he means just like the underhill mission then it must just something that happens that the player doesn't have any control over. You could just UnPBO the underhill mission. I realise you may not have UnPBO but even so, you should get it. It is an amazing tool.

UnPBOing a mission and putting it in your username folder teaches you a lot about editing. Just be sure to give credit to those who made the missions you take things from.

You could try copying the script word for word to get it into your head, then edit bits and see what happens now. It really helps when trying to learn which line does what.

ofp.info has it in their utilities section. (I think).

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 01 Jul 2004, 22:24:27 »
Excellent advice.     :thumbsup:

The best unpbo  (AFAIK) is Amalfi's pbo decryptor 1.5 from the Ed Depot - Tools.

Cool Z

« Reply #4 on: 01 Jul 2004, 23:59:34 »
There's more than one UnPBO? I thought that amalfi's one was the only one.

Oh wait, I remember I had one called DePBO a while back. It didn't do it's job very well though. Most of the code was still encrypted (or whatever the word is).

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: 02 Jul 2004, 00:51:44 »
There have been several (many?) over the years.  

When I was first learning to mission create the only way (that I knew of) to look at BIS missions was to unpbo them with some unpbo, then use a separate DOS program (in a dos window of course, typing in pathways adn stuff by hand) to decrypt the mission.sqm.   Very good way to learn, studing BIS and other people's missions.

Of course in those days we all had to live in a wet paper bag in the middle of the road, eat coal dust for breakfast and get to work so early it was still yesterday.   ::)

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #6 on: 02 Jul 2004, 08:14:03 »
Lucky I joined right after those days started to get past. ;D

I like DePBO, it's a simple tool and works well. Maybe not very fast but whatever.

BTW, here is a small shelling script I made for you. Syntax not guaranteed.

Code: [Select]
; Armsties nooby arty script.

_center = _this select 0
_shell = _this select 1
_wavenumber = _this select 2
_waveshells = _this select 3
_waittime = _this select 4
_area = _this select 5
_a = 0

#anotherwave
_b = 0
? _a => _wavenumber : exit
_a = _a + 1

_x = getpos _center select 0
_y = getpos _center select 1

~ _wattime

#anothershell
_x = (random _area * 2) - _area
_y = (random _area * 2) - _area~
_z = (random 50) + 75

_whatever = _shell camcreate [_x,_y,_z]
_b = _b + 1
~0.001
? _i >= _waveshells : goto "anotherwave"
goto "anothershell"

Execute it like [SomeGLThatIsCenter,WhichShellType,HowManyWaves,HowManyShellsInEachWave,HowLongForNextWave,HowLargeTheAreaShouldBe] exec "whatever.sqs

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

AnarCHy

« Reply #7 on: 02 Jul 2004, 09:43:14 »
I downloaded a very good artillery script, but I do not remember who made it, but thats probably in the readme file.  All you need to do is copy/paste heavy_ari.sqs or light_ari.sqs into your mission folder.  Then you execute it by placing a marker (let's name it arty), then make a trigger activated by Radio Alpha, name it Artillery, and in On Activation write the following: ["arty", 200, 12, 3.56, 24, 2.45] exec "light(or heavy)_ari.sqs"

This is an explanation of the #'s, ["markername", spread, # of guns, travel time, ammo, reload time]

- Where "markername" is the name of your marker you want the shells to drop around

- spread is the max. distance in meters you want the shells to drop from your  - marker

- # of guns is the # of guns

- travel time is how long it takes for a shell to travel vrough the air before hitting the ground

- ammo is (well duh) the amount of ammo you've got for the guns

- reload time is how long between shots the guns take to reload

There is a full explanation in the readme, as well as a discription for being a spotter for artillery

You can call (by radio) wether to move the shots 50m in any driection.

All in all a very good arty script.

Have fun and experiment with different shells for the arty (i use SHELL73, sounds and looks more realistic)