Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: HELP!!! my Wilbur file.txt is not importing into WRPTool  (Read 1733 times)

AnarCHy

well, I think the subject explains it mostly.
Whenever I click on Import Wilbur... I can choose the saved .txt file, but when I say Load it just goes back to the default "new island" terrain. (all flat)

HELP please I need it desperately!
« Last Edit: 01 Jul 2004, 10:58:29 by AnarCHy »

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
Re:HELP!!! my Wilbur file.txt is not importing into WRPTool
« Reply #1 on: 01 Jul 2004, 21:54:05 »
No way to help unless you want to send the file to me.

I will fix it if I can.

Address is in my profile.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline shinraiden

• Members
  • kiite, mite, katta
« Reply #2 on: 01 Jul 2004, 22:33:26 »
Are you absolutely positive that it saved in the lat/lon text format? Wilbur's biggest problem is that it likes to trick you into munging your file formats.

But we'd need to see the file to determine that.

Wrptool manual pg.s 83 & 84:

Wilbur

Using Wilbur is easy, first you must get the v1.25e1 then just select New, the type in Surface Size which is the 256x256 for 12.8km, 512x512 for 25.6km and 1024x1024 for 51.2km islands. Surface Edges can be the default what Wilbur offers you. Now we aren't going into the details how to use Wilbur to create the terrain since this after all is WrpTool document, but when your terrain is ready you must export it to the format that WrpTool reads.

Save Format

Select File -> Save As… and choose Lon/Lat Text Mesh as save type, then just write in the myterrain.txt or what you wish. On the export dialog click Set to Pixel and edit the Decimal Places to zero (0) value, and then click OK and it saves the terrain for you. Use the Z value to rise and lower the terrain elevation in general. Now you are ready to import this into WrpTool which makes it into real wrp terrain. First do the File -> New to setup a new terrain, make the size same as the Wilbur export file because if the sizes are different, you get bad terrain in WrpTool. Then choose File -> Import Wilbur… option. Your Wilbur made terrain now should appear in the WrpTool.

AnarCHy

« Reply #3 on: 01 Jul 2004, 23:26:17 »
planck thanks I'm gonna send you the .ter file and the .txt file.

Thanks for your help.

AnarCHy

« Reply #4 on: 01 Jul 2004, 23:37:45 »
Are you absolutely positive that it saved in the lat/lon text format? Wilbur's biggest problem is that it likes to trick you into munging your file formats.

Yes I am absolutely sure it saved in the lon/lat format

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #5 on: 02 Jul 2004, 00:31:29 »
OK...........I have sent back your file.

Although I am unable to use WrpTool, I was able to load it into WrpEdit.

As it was 256 X 257 WrpEdit did complain about the extra, but I just told it to continue.

Hope it works ok in WrpTool.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

AnarCHy

« Reply #6 on: 02 Jul 2004, 00:53:42 »
thanks planck but I seem to have fixed it by fiddling with the save settings... I am now putting the textures down.  If you wanna get beta versions just ask.  I should finish up the textures today, but I am using the BAS Tonal Island textures, and the addon is huge (115mb).

I will host it at my site soon.

Email is on my profile but you should have it already.

Thanks

Ironsight

« Reply #7 on: 02 Jul 2004, 15:23:16 »
Have the same problem, sometimes it doesn't import and sometimes it looks totaly weird, think it is a WRPtool bug. Solution: import it in WRPedit and open the WRP file in WRPtool  ;)

Offline shinraiden

• Members
  • kiite, mite, katta
« Reply #8 on: 02 Jul 2004, 19:37:38 »
Another wilbur trick, sometimes it can't decide whether to start at 0 or 1 for counting. You have to double check on those trims.

What is the height range on the elevations? WRPtool doesn't like importing data over ~1500m. It fractalizes it all over the place.

Ironsight and AnarCHy: Can you send me the details and repro steps so I can check it out and possibley file a bug in WRPtool forums? Thanks.

AnarCHy

« Reply #9 on: 03 Jul 2004, 00:06:17 »
Well, if you mean how we got it to finally work, sure.

When I initially created and edited the terrain in TerraGen, I could change the bottom of the sea floors' level to the highest part of the map.
All I did was take about 6 or 7 hundred meters off the top, and changed the lowest level to -50m.  Then, started the import process.  Loaded the .ter file into Wilbur, then saved it to the lat/lon.txt file.  Here, however, it usually always says that there is an extra pixel (or cell, in WRPTools' case) in the island.  You can normally change this by typing in 256 instead of 257 in the height field, then pressing set to pixel. I am sure most people have already had this problem.  Now, when you load it into WRPTool, you need a base island to start with.  In my case, all of the Wilbur import have been in the 256 (12km) island range.  You create a new island (256) and import the wilbur terrain.

If the Set To Pixel button changes the height back to 257, do not worry!  All that this means is that your map will be cut off by one pixel (cell) in WRPTool.

SOMETIMES the import goes haywire and it doubles or even triples the size of the terrain you've imported!  After this, you need to start with a new lat/lon.txt piece because the one you were using is now streched and ruined.

AnarCHy