Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Sidechat in MP scripts  (Read 1037 times)

Mr.BoDean

Sidechat in MP scripts
« on: 26 Jun 2004, 03:19:41 »
OK, after re-reading Snypir's MP tute for the umpteenth time I noticed :

snYpir's MP editing rule 3: Message functions (such as SideRadio, GlobalChat etc) must be explicitly called on every computer, not just the server.

I had just moved a sidechat into a server script because I wanted to use 2 if/then statements.

So does that mean the sidechats would not show up on the client computers?  :o  :-\

Code: [Select]
?!(local server) : exit

"AR" SetMarkerType "EMPTY"

? !DUGdone : papabear sideChat "LOOKS LIKE ....blah,blah"

? DUGdone : papabear sideChat "LOOKS LIKE ...blah,blah"

ATdone=true

If that is the case, would the On Activation line of the trigger allow me to put the lines in sequence:

Trigger's ON ACTIVATION:
? !DUGdone : papabear sideChat "LOOKS LIKE ....blah,blah"; ? DUGdone : papabear sideChat "LOOKS LIKE ...blah,blah

'cuz I've never used the   ? :  statements outside of a script.  :-X

Also, if I wanted to keep the sidechats in this server script, is there a way to do it and get them broadcast properly?  ???

Thanks.   ;)

Offline Zombie

• Members
  • Beware the night, the zombie walks among you
    • USI
Re:Sidechat in MP scripts
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2004, 13:43:18 »
actually, write your triggers like this:
condition:  dugdone
on activation : papabear sidechat "Looks Like...."

and another trigger
condition !dugdone
on activation: papbear sidechat "Looks Like...."

you don't need to type the ? in a trigger, but if you look at the trigger in the mission.sqs, you will see there is a ? in the condition line that doesn't show in the editor.
  Hope this helps

Mr.BoDean

Re:Sidechat in MP scripts
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jun 2004, 02:15:19 »
Hey Zombie, thanks.  However, after my first version got scanned by a noted mission maker here, I was told I had way too many triggers and Waypoints. So I went on a slashing spree and started scripting the crap out of everything.  :o  Everything works great solo, but God only knows if it will all work properly with others.

Hence, if I have to place a trigger for different conditions, I'll be doubling the # of triggers I currently have.  :-\   :-X