Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Long Dust Trails  (Read 910 times)

Sgt_Nathan

Long Dust Trails
« on: 11 Jun 2004, 19:14:46 »
Something a little like this:

On desert islands vehicles really limit from long dust trails,  im sure its not that hard (but what do i know).

Dubieman

Re:Long Dust Trails
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jun 2004, 20:10:44 »
You could do this, but it'd only be for those who like taking their processors out and cooking them with lag.
Big particle effects create a lot of lag. Try using nukes and watch the cloud and your com might skip a beat.

Not to deter you, it can be done, but lag is the issue. :-\

Sgt_Nathan

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jun 2004, 20:25:02 »
Not so thick there a huge lag,  something like after a tank explodes smoke... only a little longer and a sandy yellow colour.

Dubieman

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jun 2004, 20:26:35 »
I dunno, I'm letting the experts on drop commands field this, I'm just a lonely mission maker/editor. ;D

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #4 on: 11 Jun 2004, 21:49:32 »
Me think it would lag, especially with several units vehicles. More important is if the old (t)rusty OFP engine can handle particles that good without looking awful.

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

Sgt_Nathan

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jun 2004, 11:41:48 »
Its for resistance latest,  and i would only use it for making screenshots with.

What if someone modified Kegetys Lynx Smoke Generator and gave it a yellow colour and then stuck it on the back of the default bis jeep?

http://ofp.gamezone.cz/index.php?showthis=2888

Btw that runs fine on my system.

OrangeLeader

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jun 2004, 16:02:10 »
If it is just for screenshots you could just pose the pictures. Place a jeep and add dust behind it. It does not have to be moving. Look around for smoke or dust scripts.

One real cheap idea is smoke grenades(there is an addon with many differnet colored ones). Put a trail of smoke grenedes like ten meters from each other. Have them go off a different times to get the effect you won't(you know less smoke near the jeep, bigger cloud furthur back). Hope this helps

O Neil

« Reply #7 on: 16 Jun 2004, 07:45:43 »
Hey

Was just coming onto the forums to ask this very Q ;)

Soz for the ignorance, but I just skimmed through. Saw something on lagg, there was a script a found in my opflash , dunno where it came from or what it was, but it made a HUGE smoke plume up in the air about 200 ft. I managed to put about 20 on my map before it lagged (256 ram 1ghz processor).

Can't you just make it something like the FIRE in ofp but just yellow & last longer ? And not to mention it's only activated when the car moves.

If not, just create a drop command ;S

(O'Neil

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #8 on: 19 Jun 2004, 13:33:34 »
Hmm.. This could look real cool on a mission I was making ages ago, but gave up on for no reason (Oh, OFP screwed up, as some of the addons I had messed each other up, and had to remove quite a few)

But, if I can get this script... :D
It's basicly a Desert Assault on a SCUD base.. Your dropped in in a Black Hawk, kinda as a recon thing, before the main group of Humvees, and the DAP gunship is brought in (You need to take out any AT/AA guys)

But there turns out to be no scuds, but an obvservation heli/satalite picks up a SCUD incomming, so you.. I dont know, thats as far as I got :P
(It used the BLB UK Des troops, BAS MAH60, BAS little bird, and the armed humvees, can't remeber which ones, though....)

I was gonna use the heli dust scripts for the 3 or so helicopters, and tank shock dust script for the tanks, but ground vehicles.. They seems to be awfully, uh, "light-wheeled".. They don't kick up any dust..
What I've done sofar doesn't lag my 1GHz, 256MB ram, 128MB gfx card (Geforce fx 5600), on half-full settings.. At all :)
It was quite fun, apart from the heli DOP landing.. You got cut to shreds by the 2 BMPs, half the squad got wiped out ::) I'll need to change the flying height, and path of the heli, I guess
Asides from the vehicle dust scripts, I'm waiting for the "Arrgh I'm hit" scripts in the More WOunded, less death thread things.. ;)

Anyway, I type to much, so I'll get to the point..
If you make the dust particles, the ones furthest away, big, and less of them.. it should cut down on lag
And because it is so far away, no one should notice, unless they're looking to hard :P
Also, remeber that everything in OFP is scaled down, so it doesn't have to span the whole lenght of the des island of anything :)

Heheh, what about an modified version for foot soldiers :P

Anyway, I'm downloading the smoke generator now :)
- Ben

Offline Nemesis6

• Members
« Reply #9 on: 21 Jun 2004, 21:50:29 »
Heheh, what about an modified version for foot soldiers :P

I've made such a script, if anyone's interested, reply.
« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2004, 21:56:57 by Nemesis6 »
I am actually flying into a star... this is incredible!

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jun 2004, 17:00:09 »
Yeah, sure :)
Post away!
- Ben

Offline Nemesis6

• Members
« Reply #11 on: 23 Jun 2004, 21:22:11 »
To switch between grass dust and sand dust, check the instructions inside of the script.

In either case, there will be dust and sometimes, gravel/small stones kicked up behind the soldier when running. Remember, this isn't a final version.

Anyway, here it is.
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2004, 21:24:14 by Nemesis6 »
I am actually flying into a star... this is incredible!

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #12 on: 27 Jun 2004, 11:54:06 »
Had a quick look at the code
Looks good

Will test later :)

- Ben