Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Typhoon  (Read 1609 times)

Coldfire

Typhoon
« on: 22 Jun 2004, 05:50:43 »
Has anyone considerd making a Typhoon-class nuclear submarine for OFP? (Like the sub in The Hunt for Red October) For those of you who don't know what that is: It's a huge Russian nuclear missile sub that carries somthing like a hundred nuclear warheads (In the form of MIRV Missiles)
I was thinking you could use CoC's torpedoes (duh) and a modified version of CoC's Tomahawk Missile pack to simulate the subs armament.

Heres a couple of pics:
http://www.coam.net/~rebellion/photos/typhoon.jpg

http://www.aeronautics.ru/archive/fleet/russian/submarine/typhoon-akula-941-33.jpg

http://www.bellona.no/data/b/0/24/64/9_1407_1.jpg

http://www.aeronautics.ru/archive/fleet/russian/submarine/typhoon-akula-941-22.jpg

Tell me what you think!

Dubieman

Re:Typhoon
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jun 2004, 20:18:34 »
I guess it'd do good in OFP. I don't think OFP was meant as a naval simulation but ship to shore attacks can work very well.

Sounds doable, you could evn just camcreate the stuff if needed. Although it'd look worse than a real sub gettin position and firing 100 missiles. ;D

Homefry31464

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jun 2004, 21:40:38 »
It could definetly work, but the payload the missile carries couldn't be replicated very well...  Just use the system the Everon Cartel's submarine did.

Good luck.

Coldfire

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jun 2004, 21:48:58 »
good ideas, but I have one small problem... I'm not all that great at making addons. I was posting this to see if somone with some experience in addon making would want to adopt this project.

OrangeLeader

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jun 2004, 00:10:06 »
How about a smaller sub class with missile launching capability. That would be more realistic and would fit better into OFP. The Typhoon-class was huge. Kind of big for OFP I think. I hope someone does make another sub though.

Coldfire

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jun 2004, 00:51:20 »
You have a good point, Orange. The Typhoon class was the size of a small WW2 aircraft carrier. On the other hand, it would be interesting to be able to walk around on the deck of a Typhoon (when its sufaced, of course).Maybe somone could make a pack of different subs? Include a Attack sub (Like the one made by Everon Cartel), a small missile sub and a typhoon.
The Typhoon would make a great opening for a campain. Imagine, a ex-soviet general splits off and steals a Typhoon class missile sub, intending to refurbish it and use it to launch missiles at all the foes of the former Soviet Union. Russia dispatches it's top Spetznatz team to find the sub while its still in dock being refited and stop the general before he can get the sub ready to launch.

Homefry31464

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jun 2004, 01:42:10 »
Just look at the Soviet SSGN's.

Coldfire

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jun 2004, 05:06:49 »
Those would work too. I still think the Typhoon would be a good addon. Other big boats have been made for OFP, like the Nimitz Carrier and the USS Ashland (LSD), It wouldn't be too hard to make a Typhoon. I Suppose if you want somthing smaller you could go ahead and make the SSGN, either way a Missile sub would be cool in Flashpoint.

Nulear_Man

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jul 2004, 08:02:50 »
yo theres a Kilo class sub out there
You could use that are a start.

Coldfire

« Reply #9 on: 11 Jul 2004, 14:27:17 »
yah, i now, that's the one made by Everon Cartel. I'm talking about a sub that launches nukes.

Avenger29

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jul 2004, 06:18:36 »
sounds like a good idea

Create a whole sub fleet for each side?

LA class, Ohio class, seawolf class for USN

Akula class, typhoon class, alfa class, kilo class for russian navy, Yankee class

Resistance kilo class & former USN class diesel boats.

Kaliyuga

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jul 2004, 08:43:07 »
 The submarine may be updated in the future .....

I would like to see what comes of the MCAR project and add some AA missles to the submarine as this is a realistic loadout for the Kilo...

we had a list of extra options we wanted to add to the sub, and some of them we now know how to do that weren't common knowledge at the time...

in the end it all came down to spending the extra time to flesh out all the options on the boat, or getting it out to the public after spending months and months working on it  :P

In the end we decided on releasing it.... updating in the future , and doing a major update of the submarine in OFP2 and/or when CoC updates their torpedoes...

I know of at least one other submarine addon in the works at the current time..  

as far as the size issue goes.. thats why we chose to make a Kilo is because of the size issues in the game..

As an interesting Side note on submarines in OFP...

We had the pleasure of getting a little help from BIS beta testing our submarine before release and learned that submarines were considered for OFP by BIS and in fact they still have the models for them..

or did a few months ago at least..

perhaps we will see submarines in OFP2   ;D

We will definately cooperate or help out anyone that wants to make more submarines for OFP as we would like to see a US boat to go up against our sub.....

I would just love some MP sub hunting action   ;D

Kaliyuga
:toocool:

Coldfire

« Reply #12 on: 22 Jul 2004, 19:05:31 »
I like the idea of a bigger sea pressence in flashpoint in general, ofp has great potential for excelent ships and such but no one makes them...

The idea of all sides having subs is cool... is it posible to simulate sonar? maybe a sonar screen actually inside the sub, so you have to be using first-peson view to see it... that would make for excelent play-balancing... you can only use the sonar when in first-person, and you can only see where your going in third person or by looking through the periscope...

Also, if each side has it's own subs... they should have thier own ships. stuff like Perry-class destroyers for the US and such...
« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2004, 19:05:59 by Coldfire »

Kaliyuga

« Reply #13 on: 22 Jul 2004, 19:56:11 »
 A crude form of sonar could be implemented perhaps...  

I never actually thought of it this way until just this second, but

If you've ever played Toadlife's Operation LoJack Mission,  There are scripts and sound files used in it to detect range and bearing to target through some "blips" getting faster/slower  and higher/lower in pitch.

It could be altered into a script that detected range/heading to boats or other subs or something.

:toocool:

Coldfire

« Reply #14 on: 22 Jul 2004, 20:53:06 »
That would be great! the only problem is... im not a addon maker (never had the time to learn how, still don't come to that). So im stuck asking somone else to do it...

sciencetweak

« Reply #15 on: 27 Jul 2004, 13:40:35 »
well I started a new addon making mod which we are based around the RAF and the Royal Navy, and one thing we will hopefully be making is a sub, but I dunno when we will