Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Changing the amount of ammo a tank has  (Read 475 times)

charlieh

Changing the amount of ammo a tank has
« on: 22 May 2004, 00:44:45 »
I need to change the amount of ammo a tank has for its main gun mid way through a mission.

However, as far as I know, it is not possible to set the exact amount of ammo a tank has with a script during the mission. The add magazine command always gives the tank the full amount of ammo; the tank can either have no ammo, or the full compliment.

Does anyone know how to precisely set the level of a ammo a tank has?
« Last Edit: 22 May 2004, 00:46:11 by Charlie_Howarth »

GrimMonkey

Re:Changing the amount of ammo a tank has
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2004, 00:58:36 »
The only way I know of changing the amount of ammo of a unit between 0-Max Amount without making an addon is using the bar near the bottom the the Edit Unit screen (Make sure it's Advanced mode!)
I have used the same bar so a machine gunner has 79 shots total.

Of course if the tank rearms it will rearm fully, so it's not perfect.

Hope that helps.

Beware the GrimMonkey

Dubieman

« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2004, 01:10:24 »
I wonder if there's a command like this setammo .45 or something cause the only other way is to set in the editor before the mission like stated above.

charlieh

« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2004, 12:52:13 »
Yes, as you say the only way to set the amount of ammo appears to be to use the ammo sliders at the beginning.

Looks like I'll have to abandon this idea.

It seems strange that although the game allows you to change a tank's ammo using the sliders at the beginning there isn't a command that lets you do the same thing, though.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2004, 14:30:29 »
OFP is full of quirks like that.     One of the secrets to being a good mission designer is being able to work round them.

In this case for instance, you might be able to delete the original tank and setpos in a new one which is sitting on an outlying island with the ammo slider set to the right place.     You'd have to do it while the player wasn't looking of course, and you might need some sleight of hand with join commands to keep the waypoints smooth.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

charlieh

« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2004, 16:45:23 »
Indeed. I am well used to using various techniques to get round the inadequacies of OFP, the setpos being a command I use exhaustively. However, it will not work in this example as you would still have to set the amount of ammo the other weapon of the tank has (e.g. the machine gun) if the player has used this weapon - and that is not possible.

I have tried numerous things to try and get round this particular problem, but it looks as though it is not possible.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions. However, it appears that there is no way round this problem.