Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: CoC Command Engine  (Read 997 times)

Kammak

CoC Command Engine
« on: 04 May 2004, 00:55:05 »
Just curious if this system can be used to command a squad in true fashion - broken into fireteams, where I only give commands to the team leaders and not every single rifleman?

I'm sure the system can do far more than this, but all I'm looking for right now is the ability to play as a USMC squad leader and coordinate my fire teams.

Is the CE widely used?

I'm currently digging out from learning the CoC Mine and Arty addons, so I haven't downloaded the Command Engine yet.

Thanks,

Kammak

m21man

Re:CoC Command Engine
« Reply #1 on: 04 May 2004, 01:11:27 »
You can split squads into fireteams and command the individual teams, though this can get somewhat cumbersome at times. You can't command individual soldiers, though you can transfer them between fireteams/squads/platoons.

Is the CE widely used?
No, missions using it are usually only playable with fast computers (Like mine ;) ;D ). There's a nice 20 mission campaign made by PMC that uses the CE and the CoC arty pack, it's a very fun way to waste six hours :P .

Offline SEAL84

• Members
  • Always lurking
« Reply #2 on: 04 May 2004, 01:14:26 »
Just curious...how fast is "fast?"

I might just grab said campaign...

Offline Killswitch

• Members
  • Peace, cheese and ArmA
« Reply #3 on: 04 May 2004, 13:43:07 »
I'm sure the system can do far more than this, but all I'm looking for right now is the ability to play as a USMC squad leader and coordinate my fire teams.
You don't need CE to do that. Commanding a squad and splitting it into fire teams is what OFP can do for you as is. (Team Red/Green/Blue/Yellow/White via the 0-9 team radio menu)

Is the CE widely used?

I'm currently digging out from learning the CoC Mine and Arty addons, so I haven't downloaded the Command Engine yet.
Perhaps not widely, but it's out there.  And also, one doesn't "download the CE engine" and play - its integrated into missions themselves. (In other words - CE is not an addon nor a mod, even though I frequently see references to CE as such). Of course, if you want to make your own CE missions, you'd need to download the CE template mission and whatnot.

Browse around on the CoC homepage and visit their forums.

Just curious...how fast is "fast?"

I might just grab said campaign...
"Fast" is... as fast as you can afford. ;D That said, I play and enjoy smaller CE missions on my crusty old Athlon XP 1900+. However, as you may know, there is no such thing as enough CPU and/or memory bandwidth limit for OFP... so better save up for that Athlon64 to get OFP moving...  8)

Kammak

« Reply #4 on: 05 May 2004, 06:09:12 »
Killswitch,

I can't do it with basic OFP for a couple reasons - OFP max "group" size is 12, base USMC Squad is 13 men, without any attachments (like an ANGLICO operator, Corpsman, or MG team).

The OFP teams can't have their own formations (that I know of).  They all share the group formation.  I want (for example) the lead fireteam on line, with two flank teams in opposite echelon, with me in the center.

The OFP system bases formation position on rank...very bad.  Per above, I want to be in the center of my fireteams with an MG team or radio operator.

Ideally I shouldn't have command access to the fire team members, which I still  have with OFP "teams".

I did post the same question on the CoC forum, but I wanted to hear what OFPEC members had to say about it too.

Once I get done playing with the mines and arty, I'll download the Command Engine and get cracking on it, as what I want *appears* to be do-able with it.

Thanks all for the comments!  :)

Offline Killswitch

• Members
  • Peace, cheese and ArmA
« Reply #5 on: 05 May 2004, 10:49:09 »
Ah, I see. Yep, then we hit the limits of OFP. Ok, hope you find a solution in CE. Cheers!