Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: New sights for G-36?  (Read 1878 times)

Ball Zack

New sights for G-36?
« on: 02 May 2004, 01:41:27 »
I have an idea.  INQ made a high resolution replacement for the original BIS G-36.  However I heard someone say that the G-36 comes standard with a 3-4 zoom scope AND iron sights for close in work built into the carry handle.  Now the BIS G-36 simulates the scope, but there is no way to simulate the iron sights (except to just use the regular first person sight).  

So my question is would it be possible to make a G-36 addon that has the sights set up so that when the rifle is set to semi-auto, you see through the G-36 scope, but when the rifle is set to auto or burst could you be able to see through the iron sights (when optics are used)?  I figure it should be possible because with the m-203 you see through regular m-16 sights when the rifle is set to semi or burst, but then you use a grenade sight when the rifle is switched to grenade.  So in theory it should be possible to simulate two different gunsights, and switch between the two by changing between burst/semi/auto.  Right?

Dubieman

Re:New sights for G-36?
« Reply #1 on: 03 May 2004, 03:56:49 »
One complaint about BIS G36, the damn sights are dots and barely visible at times! Had many mishaps with the center of the scope not on enemy urgh.

Anyways how would you switch sights if they both are lined up on the gun barrel? Wouldn't the irons get in the way of the scope or what?

Coldfire

« Reply #2 on: 03 May 2004, 06:04:18 »
Maybe the scope is set above the sights? I'm not sure... this is the first ive ever heard of this. Are you sure it's true?

OrangeLeader

« Reply #3 on: 03 May 2004, 16:44:26 »
If it is true or not it would be interesting if someone did it. I think in real life it is possible. The scope would be  placed above the ironsight.

Dubieman

« Reply #4 on: 03 May 2004, 20:10:57 »
Then wouldn't the scope be off at a ceratin distance?
The scope's sights would be accurate until say 400m when the scope points below the line of fire.

OrangeLeader

« Reply #5 on: 04 May 2004, 03:22:39 »
For one scopes are never exact and all loose accuracy as it goes further away. All scopes are above the barrel. Lets take scopes that are put on M-16s. They are put directly on the iron scope. You could still use the iron scope to an extent.

Ball Zack

« Reply #6 on: 04 May 2004, 03:30:01 »
Actually I think that the scope is mounted low inside the handle.  The front of the handle has a hole in it so that you can see through it with the scope.  I think that the iron sights are mounted high up on the handle above the scope.  This should in theory allow the shooter to get his face close to the rifle butt for accurate controlled long range shots, yet he'll be able to take a more aggressive stance when shooting at close range by using the iron sights which are mounted higher up.

I think that the ACOG medium range scope, which is used on many different rifles, (look at the BAS M-4 which comes in a version with an ACOG scope) has back up appature sights mounted on top of the scope.  Once again if you want to see what I'm talking about look at the ACOG used on the BAS rifles, they have iron sights mounted on top of the scope.

Personally if I were designing a rifle for the spec ops community I would want it to be equally well suited for long range and close quarters battle.  If it were me, I'd mount a small fiber-optic tritium illuminated (no batteries needed) reflex sight on top of a medium ranged scope (probably an ACOG) and mount this onto an accurate compact carbine.  In theory you would be able to use the scope for medium range sniper shots, and use the reflex sight for close in work.

Ball Zack

« Reply #7 on: 04 May 2004, 03:31:07 »
PS I think that there is a scope kit that you can get for the FN FAL/L1A1 that has back up iron sights mounted underneath the scope.

Dubieman

« Reply #8 on: 04 May 2004, 03:38:10 »
I know they're above the barrel but at that certain distance say 400m the scope will be aligned with the actual barrel when you aim at a guys stomach as to hit his head. That's what I meant. Like on WWII planes, ones with machine guns on the wings like the P51 mustang had the guns pointed in a little so the rounds would come to a focal point about 300ft away (not sure on actual distance) and then the rounds would go in an outward direction diagonally. Same here except with that idea vertically instead of horizontilly.

P51
                                l         l
                                  l     l                      
                                    l l
     Focal point->          fp
                                   l   l
                                 l       l
                               l          l

So look at this vertically in your mind I suppose and that's what would happen with an elevated scope and one line of fire is the scope line of sight and the other gunfire is the actual fire from the weapon in a vertical sense. But now I'm sure we are way off topic.
Does that retextured one have any space to look through the irons and the scope? The BIS G36 doesn't, its solid until you hit the place where your eye goes or the eyepiece.

« Last Edit: 04 May 2004, 03:38:36 by GuiltyRoachKilla »

Ball Zack

« Reply #9 on: 04 May 2004, 07:18:47 »
I think I understand what your saying about the focal point.  As it relates to the G-36 or any other rifle for that matter, if the iron sight or reflex sight were mounted way up high in relation to the barrel, then the sight would only be accurate at a specific distance and would shoot too low at any further range, or shoot way too high at a closer range because the sight is way off center of the projectile's line of travel, in a vertical relation.  However I think that this is negligable because the iron sights would only be used at close range, and therfore would only have to be calibrated for a range of 100m or less.  Anything further out would simply require you to switch to the scope.

Anyway, I'm still wondering if it is possible to have multiple gunsights simply by switching between semi-auto and full-auto.  Does anyone know if it's possible?  As for whether or not the BIS G-36 was modelled to have a scope and iron sight; I'm not sure.  Right now I'm using INQ's retextured G-36 in place of the BIS model, and INQ's model seems to have two scopes, not a scope and iron sight.  However someone on another forum informed that the G-36 does infact have a scope and ironsight.  Whether or not this info is accurate, I don't know....

Offline Pathy

• Former Staff
  • I'm not a F***in llama!
    • Volcbat.
« Reply #10 on: 04 May 2004, 12:32:37 »
I think you should be able to change the optics between fire modes. Pretty sure of that.

However, once you switch to a mode, it would be forced, so maybe you need to make 6 fire modes

Semi
Semi + Iron Sights
Auto
Auto + Iron Sights
Burst
Burst + Iron Sights

And under each of these you have the correct model optics.....#

Thats the easiest way to do it AFAIK, but it might be cumbersome with 6 fire modes......

Dubieman

« Reply #11 on: 05 May 2004, 04:06:32 »
Well Ball Zack i was refering to the scope on the BIS G36 as it is mounted high up in relation to the barrel and what I said has little relation to the actual topic. :P

The BIS G36 has really no way physically of looking at two sights. Try it your self and see. I haven't seen the retextured one but if its possible which I think it is via scripts for the weapon then it should be done.  :)
I wouldn't want six fire modes though, maybe have a close quarters G36 guy and one range G36 guy so each one splits the six fire modes to three a piece, how about that?
« Last Edit: 05 May 2004, 04:07:25 by GuiltyRoachKilla »

Ball Zack

« Reply #12 on: 05 May 2004, 06:50:51 »
Pathy:  Here was my idea.  When the rifle is set to semi-auto you ONLY use the scope.  When you switch to auto or burst, then you ONLY use the iron sights.  I figured that this would be most logical and least cumbersome.  It doesn't make sence to use a scope in full auto mode any way.  So in simple terms, when the rifle is set to semi, you are using the rifle for long distance work, and can only use the scope.  When the rifle is set to auto or burst, then you are using the rifle for "close in" work, and you can only use the iron sights.  So you switch rifle modes according to how you intend to use the rifle....   SO it works like this.

semi = scope only
burst = iron sight only
auto = iron sight only

As for the physical model, the G-36 that I have that was redone by INQ looks like it has 2 scopes.  One mounted above the other.  I asume that one is a scope, and the other is a reflex sight.  I'm not sure whether this set-up is really used by the German army or not....

FlidMerchant

« Reply #13 on: 20 Jun 2004, 15:05:52 »
I use semi-auto whatever distance I am shooting at, maybe allow either sights for semi-auto and iron sights for full auto.

Dubieman

« Reply #14 on: 21 Jun 2004, 00:12:28 »
Well this topic is about a month and a half old...

Any interest still?

OFP weapons are too damned accurate anyways. Try SEBNAM2 with high dispersion mags for a real gunfight. ;D

Hmm more off topic stuff: Well if its logical to have the irons for close stuff and scope for long range stuff, then wouldn't you want the scope below the irons? The accuracy decreases with distance and if the scope was closer to the barrel, it'd be accurate for longer as opposed to a scope mounted higher up. Then the accuracy factor for the irons wouldn't be so needy. Since you are working at close ranges. I dunno if I'm makin sense.... :P

Major_Fubar

« Reply #15 on: 24 Jun 2004, 01:38:04 »
Someone made a Ruger Mini-14 that had 2 alternate sights, so it should be possible to link the sights to the fire mode...