Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: A shau Valley beta here  (Read 13613 times)

Offline cj525

• Members
Re:A shau Valley beta here
« Reply #60 on: 10 Jul 2004, 17:03:54 »
THE ISLAND IS FINISHED!!

I'm just waiting on one permission from BAS then I'll release it. THere will be a campaign following but If I wait for myself and Dark to finish it this island would be delayed to long. I'll put a thread in here once the island is uploaded to the two above mentioned websites.

THanks again for all your input, it was greatly appreciated and really added to this island.

vlada

« Reply #61 on: 10 Jul 2004, 17:39:14 »
GREAT !!!

fighter

:)

vlada

« Reply #62 on: 23 Jul 2004, 08:28:01 »
Hi cj 525 :-)

Any news about release of your great island ???

fighter

Offline Nixer6

• Members
« Reply #63 on: 11 Aug 2004, 01:46:17 »
CJ 525 is hard at work on his island.  And still tinkering. It's gonna be a beauty ;D

I think he is just having trouble with getting BAS permissions. I guess so, they have even shut down their web site! Sad to see them go, what with that new 2006 release date for OFP2.

BTW, anybody have any good links for Vietnamese Language samples?
Why do I have to be a Rocket Scientist to make a good mission?

Kaliyuga

« Reply #64 on: 11 Aug 2004, 03:05:47 »
 I was also seeking permission to use some Tonal stuff on a map recently and was referred to the Third World Explosion Mod by a I guess its  Former.. BAS member ..

Agent Smith hasn't been around for a while from what I can tell.. and the Third World Explosion Mod forums have been vacant for a few months from what I've been able to see as well.. unless they have moved sites..

i'm gonna continue working on my island and see if I can't get ahold of someone from the Third World Explosion mod in the mean time
:cheers:

vlada

« Reply #65 on: 11 Aug 2004, 07:53:25 »
BTW, anybody have any good links for Vietnamese Language samples?

Vietcong by Illusion Softworks   ;D

fighter

8)

Offline Nixer6

• Members
« Reply #66 on: 11 Aug 2004, 19:13:08 »
lol vlada :)

It would seem to me that permissions from a defunct organization would not really be needed. Especially considering this is all for FREE. How about just a little credit in the read me?

ebud are you out there? Any former BAS guys with some input?

Offline Wadmann

• OFPEC Patron
  • I'm the next evolutionary step after a llama!
« Reply #67 on: 11 Aug 2004, 22:32:58 »
I have been eagerly awaiting this island's release and it pains me to hear that it is still being delayed!  :'(

@Kaliyuga

IIRC Agent Smiith is on holiday until the end of summer. I thought that I read that over on the official forums a couple of weeks ago.

@Nixer6

I have seen TJ and ebud recently (in the last two weeks) over at the official forum. Might try a PM on their profile there and see if they will respond.

Not that I am advocating using without permission, but I am sure that I have seen some islands released with what looks like Tonal palms on them (see McNools Pacific island and others). How do these peeps get away with it? As I am from the end user crowd (it seems the "makers" feel that it should not be done while the "takers" think that acknowledgment is good enough), I would like to see this island ASAP but I do respect cj525 for trying to go about this in the proper manner. IMHO, I think that any OFPer would recognize objects from Tonal placed on other islands. The only ones that may not would be new peeps to OFP. But I must ask, how many new people are drawn to a three year old game anyway? If it would take but one new player to think that cj525 made everything and then only later saw Tonal and thought that BAS ripped of cj525, then I completely understand the BAS point of view (no permission = no use), even if he stated in the readme that he did not actually make all of the objects included. I do think that if one must have Tonal installed in order to use an island that uses other people's objects, then what is the harm? You already had to know that the objects are dependant on the other island being installed so you would know who originally created the objects.

Sorry to rant for awhile but I really want the latest version of this island on my HD! Hopefully this can be resolved soon so that all may enjoy this island.

Wadmann
Check out my Camouflage Collection! New items added 31 July 2005.

Offline Nixer6

• Members
« Reply #68 on: 12 Aug 2004, 02:32:20 »
Sorry to rant for awhile but I really want the latest version of this island on my HD! Hopefully this can be resolved soon so that all may enjoy this island.
[/b]

It's kinda hard for cj to get permission from a self declared non entity. "Who" is BAS? ???
I mean who has to give permission? It's a great island and should be released for the good of the community. Cmon BAS or whoever, a little help please.

vlada

« Reply #69 on: 12 Aug 2004, 09:16:15 »
It's kinda hard for cj to get permission from a self declared non entity. "Who" is BAS?

I think that cj525 don't need permission from BAS >>>

Full Readme - Seb Ilo ver 2 :

Seb Ilo Ilo version 2.0 Final

15 April 2004

Ilo Ilo island

RSSZ Alpha

Rumble in the Jungle Beta

Credits
BIS
EBUD
Fighter (config for mission editor items)
Nagual (initial config help and model help from the Tonal project we worked on together)
Lupus (many helpful suggestions and p3d editing)
Para (testing)
Hit Squad Maximus (testing)
Hawkins (hosting)
Infogrames (some textures)
i44 team (erba p3ds)
everyone who posted comments in the forum

Requirements

None.

Known issues.

Forests and ground cover on RSSZ highly edited for air missions and lag. For now just use it for helo or pbr missions as it is not made for large ground missions. I removed most single plants and ground cover for technical reasons.

Unknown issues.
If you find some, you'll have to fix them yourself :) My work on this is done. It was a good learning experience.

Comments  

These maps are for public use. Edit them, take p3ds and textures and use them for your own maps or just use the ilo pbo for you own map, basically you can do with these whatever you like, but if you make edits and re-release, do not make the end user overwrite anything.

The ilo map and RIJ are just fun, small maps made for Nam era ground missions. The Rung Sat, or RSSZ, is a river map or helo map, not a ground attack map. I made it for a future pbr campaign based on several books I have, and is NOT made or optimized for ground attack missions.

At this time I do not plan on supporting these maps after this release. If you would like to edit them, be my guest.

comments to eczerwonka@yahoo.com

Ebud

fighter  

Offline Wadmann

• OFPEC Patron
  • I'm the next evolutionary step after a llama!
« Reply #70 on: 12 Aug 2004, 16:59:38 »
@fighter

Well it has been a while since I last played on this island, but I thought that cj was using Tonal objects, not Ilo Ilo objects. If you are right, then get this posted so we may download it! ;D

@Nixer6

ebud, TJ, DeadMeatMX, Nagual, and I think TigerShark are all BAS members. That is why I suggested that you try to contact them from the official forums. They do stop by here from time to time but I have seen many more posts from them at the official forums.

If cj insists on taking the high road (and I commend him on this) and is not given permission to use BAS objects, then he may have to substitute BAS objects for either Third World Explosion mod or use the objects that Drow (I think) released that were from a different VN game. I can't think of the name of the pack right now. I have seen one other "jungle pack" of objects geared more towards island makers but for the life of me I cannot remember where I saw it. This is of course assuming that he is only using trees and bushes from Tonal. If he is using some of the other goodies from Tonal, well I can think of no other alternatives at this time.

As I said before, my only intent is to help get this island released while being considerate to the original creators of some of the objects used on this island. Hope to see it available for D/L soon.

Wadmann
Check out my Camouflage Collection! New items added 31 July 2005.

Offline Nixer6

• Members
« Reply #71 on: 13 Aug 2004, 02:14:29 »
This is from the Tonal Readme

Due to the extensive / excessive amount of work put into this project to make the Tonal isle unique, copyright is claimed on the original work.
This addon is not to be altered or edited for any purpose without the express permission of the authors. Nor should it be distributed except in the form provided.
Ask for permission to use any Tonal objects/textures BEFORE using them in another project.
Requests will be considered some time after release.

While I appreciate all the work that the BAS people put into the island, and have no doubt that cj525 would give them credit, it seems moot to me.

1. They have admittedly "gone out of Business"
2. Their e-mail address doesn't work
3. Who's to say that if one former BAS member gives, or withholds permission that it's enough?
4. This was a free add on made for OFP
5. Do we need friggin lawyers now for free add ons.
6. OMFG, what if some guy picks up an island using BAS objects and Doesn't Read the Read Me! SOoooooooo What.  ::) If somebody's nose gets out of joint about that then they shouldn't have made a free add on for public use.

edit: I have almost every BAS Add On made and use, or have used them alot. I really liked their work. For OFP editing of free add ons to be an issue at all just seems ludicrous to me. Why would it hurt BAS, even if they still exisisted, for someone to use, and give them credit for them, some BAS objects and/or textures? Is this some kind of "It's mine, and you can only play with it the way I want you to"  thing?

If there was money involved, I could see some reason for this. Read the Tonal Read Me. In it Nagual states that lots of the sounds for the Add On were taken from other sources and games, and very loosely (names some) gives them credit. Did he have permission to use them? I don't know. I would think that would be a whole lot more of a copyright issue than cj including some BAS stuff in his island.

BAS wants you to get permission to use their stuff. Somebody show me the Official (legal) BAS contact!

Rant Off ;D
« Last Edit: 13 Aug 2004, 05:15:43 by Nixer6 »

Offline cj525

• Members
« Reply #72 on: 14 Aug 2004, 01:54:00 »
WOW!!!

Nix told me about the discusion taking place here, I've been working on the Unsung mod's islands so I've not been keeping track of this thread. I've still got no reponse so I've decided to release my island as is with a very clear acknowledgement to the peps who actually made the objects. I think I did my part in trying to obtain the final permission from BAS but since they are no longer, the requirement is moot. the island will be available from the listed sights at the top of this thread by this Saturday Aug 14, the low end island will also be there.

I'd Like to thank you all for your patience, just remember the high end island is definitly for the fast comps out there. We will also be releasing a campaign at a later date, Nix / Darkangel and myself are working on the development of this campaign but it's far from finished. Just a heads up with the Unsung mod theses islands we're building will blow away the ashua valley, the objects and scripting from this mod are the best I've seen!!

:cheers:
« Last Edit: 14 Aug 2004, 05:29:27 by cj525 »

Offline cj525

• Members
« Reply #73 on: 14 Aug 2004, 05:27:14 »
download site is

http://www.freewebs.com/cj525/

the low res map will be up saturday aug 14.
« Last Edit: 14 Aug 2004, 05:28:18 by cj525 »

AnarCHy

« Reply #74 on: 14 Aug 2004, 06:23:53 »
ugh..freewebs

Im getting 1 kb/ps here.

I can get me friend to host it if you want.

Just PM me or email me and I'll ask him.

AnarCHy