Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: ECP bulletwhiz in newest version: Lacklustre  (Read 792 times)

Baphomet

ECP bulletwhiz in newest version: Lacklustre
« on: 10 Mar 2004, 06:07:45 »
Well. To be honest. The last time I used ECP (I can't remember what version it was 1.02). The bullet whiz effects were much better. Now they're very sparse, it almost seems like if they're not buzzing right past your ear you don't get the bullet whiz effect anymore.

Anyone know how to change that?

If it helps any this version was before you could choose the maximum amount of bullet whiz sounds. Although I don't know why that would change anything. It still seems like it's randomly chosen when the bullet whiz sound happens since it doesn't seem to happen much. I've never heard four of them at once anyhow. Or been lucky enough to. Despite having many bullets fired overhead.
« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2004, 06:23:32 by Baphomet »

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
Re:ECP bulletwhiz in newest version: Lacklustre
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2004, 07:06:55 »
Zayford would be the one to ask about this, really, but I'll try to help. Before, I don't think there was any limit on the number of bullets that could be whizzing at any time. That required huge numbers of nearestObject calls, which can cause lots of lag.

Supposedly, no more than 37.5% of bullets will ever make the whizby sound as they pass the player now. That is a direct quote from the script. Basically, there is just a random chance that each bullet will make the sound. This cuts the number of nearestobject calls down, reducing lag.

What I would suggest is that you set the ECP_max_whiz_sounds variable to something really high, like 50. I'm not really sure if that will increase the chance of hearing the sounds, but give it a shot. Otherwise, ask Zayford about it.
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Offline Zayfod

• ECP Team
  • Llama, softest natural fibre in the world.
Re:ECP bulletwhiz in newest version: Lacklustre
« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2004, 01:43:52 »
I compared the 2 versions and theres virtually no difference that I can see, only now the end user has more control as per their system type.

Things to note.

Only standard BIS bullets and SEBnam bullets make the whiz sound, so if your using addon units that dont use the afore mentioned bullet types then the whiz wont occur. (to be fixed next version.)

Pistols and subsonic (silenced) bullets dont make the whiz.

Having more than 50% of all bullets giving a whiz just didnt sound right. Too much of a good thing means that its no longer a good thing.  And it is a cpu intensive script.

Yes the whizs are random.

Yes--no more than 37/100 bullets will make the whiz sound if they fly past your head.

Yes-- if 100 bullets all fly past your head at one instant you can set the max number of sounds to be heard. Default is three.

I use the default settings and find the effect quite prominent and definately audible but not annoying--which it has the potential to be when over done.

Zay
"I have come here to kick ass and chew bubble gum......an I'm all outta bubble gum!"