Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Sound Barrier  (Read 1150 times)

Dubieman

Sound Barrier
« on: 30 Jan 2004, 01:14:46 »
What fun in a plane to speed about 10000 mph through the clouds and stuff, so where's the sonic boom??? >:(
 :toocool:
And whats up with helicopters at 10000000 altitude?
They spin around uncontrolled and planes just automatically end up underground. :beat:

Or am I just testing the outer limits of the OFP system?
 :hmm:

:afro:   Just felt like using the afro cause I have never used him before!

Zell

Re:Sound Barrier
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2004, 09:53:24 »
no planes go at 100000 km an hour, also download the newer aircraft addons they usually have it at about 900

Homefry31464

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2004, 17:18:39 »
Yes, this is a feature on newer planes.  I don't think BIS made a sound barrier built into the engine, so user-made addons impliment it after going a certain speed.  As for helicopters, i'm not sure what is causing that.  I don't think the helo's get very manuverable at the altitude, so maybe that's why.

Dubieman

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jan 2004, 21:40:20 »
Well that explains it. Well the planes in OFP can go ohh sorry too many zeros I meant 1000 mph! :-[

Helicopters however at the HIGH altitudes however like what I was testing is probably a result of an OFP engine thing or limit so you can't go any higher. But if you shut the engines off, the heli levels off...... ???

A real reason for this would be the small amount of oxygen that high in the air. The engines would die because the combustion or is it a jet kind of engine ohh hell, the engine would choke, or have a pure gas fuel mixture. But the engine would die and not explain the freaky handling, or it might have something to do with the fact that when a heli loses its tail rotor the engine spins the heli around the opposite way..... ???

So confused..... :P

Dubieman

« Reply #4 on: 01 Feb 2004, 03:05:34 »
Once again I think this an OFP engine issue not that there is anything useful at 1,000,000 or so altitude....

Maybe the "artificial" atmosphere gave out like I entered the lithosphere or something like that..... :D

Maybe I should make a mission with buildings as ground and make it at 100,000 feet! :) Use the buildings setpos +100000 and such!  ::) ::)

Shashman

« Reply #5 on: 05 Feb 2004, 14:00:23 »
Hudson and Pennywise's F/A-18 Hornet pack has sonic boom implemented :)

PsyWarrior

« Reply #6 on: 05 Feb 2004, 15:05:41 »
Greetings,

I was considering asking hudson/ pennywise's permissions to use whatever drop command they used for the F/A 18 to make a universal sound barrier script (that works with all other planes). The script would detect if the plane that it was executed on was the F/A 18, and disable the drop effect. The script also fades the sound down if the player is on board the plane (except for voice), making the whole faster than sound thing more realistic.

I actually created the script a while back, but never got around to asking permissions, so it hasn't been published.

As for the chopper handling, the lack of air at that altitude would mean that the heli blades would not be able to provide any lift. And, yes, the engine intakes would not work either  ;) . A helicopter would start to lose altitude far below 100,000 feet, anyway, so you wouldn't really be able to find out...

-Supreme Commander PsyWarrior
-Psychic Productions

Offline oyman

• Members
  • king of pings
« Reply #7 on: 05 Feb 2004, 19:01:44 »
hudson and pennywise used hidden selections instead of drop command

PsyWarrior

« Reply #8 on: 05 Feb 2004, 19:26:45 »
Well there goes that idea.  :(

Still, it does open up the possibility of releasing the script in some form or the other later.

Thanks for saving me the effort of finding out, Oyman, ::)

-Supr. Cmdr. PsyWarrior
-Psychic Productions

Homefry31464

« Reply #9 on: 05 Feb 2004, 21:20:35 »
Well, just don't run the scripts on the aricraft with sonic boom implimented.  I think you could just use an array to define excempt aircraft.

PsyWarrior

« Reply #10 on: 06 Feb 2004, 13:48:35 »
That's the idea  ;)

An array containing all known aircraft with built in sonic booms. Then only the sound fade effect is executed, not the boom.

Unfortunately, for this to work at all, the sonic boom sound effect must be included with the script.

Look for a OFPEC beta soon...

-Supr. Cmdr. PsyWarrior
-Psychic Productions