Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Cool Edit or Goldwave users  (Read 773 times)

Ace Productions

Cool Edit or Goldwave users
« on: 25 Aug 2003, 08:42:33 »
I have installed Cool Edit and GoldWave on my PC so that I can create radio messages for OFP. Can someone instruct me how to manipulate a normal recorded wav file to sound like radio? Which filters or effects should I use?  ::)

Offline Sui

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
Re:Cool Edit or Goldwave users
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2003, 10:14:29 »
To make a file sound like it's over the radio, what you want to do is put it through a band pass filter.

Basically, that just chops off the sound below a certain value, and above a certain value (which is what a real radio does, as it doesn't transmit across all sound bands ;))

Hopefully your sound editor (sorry, I'm not familiar with Goldwave) will have a 'quick filters' section. If you can find one that does radio effect (or even telephone), you should be right :)

GaryP

« Reply #2 on: 25 Aug 2003, 14:30:53 »
I have GoldWave.  Use the highpass filter and play with it until you get something you like.  Then use the low pass filter and play with it until you get something you like.
Then use the distortion filder and give it just a little bit so it's fuzzy.  You can also add hiss with one of the filters.

GoldWave is a really cool product for doing radio sounds.  I'm thinking of registering it if I use it.

SheepOnMintSauce

« Reply #3 on: 25 Aug 2003, 17:26:55 »
If you one of the FTT filters in Cool Edit  in the Transform menu you can find some good filters there. One called 'Get off the phone!' is pretty good, also the 'Telephone Bandpass' filter. There are also some good filters in the Quick Filters which is also in the Transform menu, for making sounds like as if they're being played over a radio.  They're all pretty cool to have a play around with and find something you like.  :)

Offline Blanco

• Former Staff
« Reply #4 on: 25 Aug 2003, 18:14:06 »
euh... Not sure about this...

But I thought when U define a sound in the description.ext as CfgRadio, OFP automaticly make it sound like a radio...

Search or search or search before you ask.

Offline Sui

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
« Reply #5 on: 26 Aug 2003, 02:54:59 »
Hmm... not so much.

OFP will stick a bit of static on the end to make it sound like there is radio squelch.

However it doesn't alter the actual sound file. So if your sound file sounds like it's just a guy talking to you (ie. you don't use band pass), you'll get a guy talking normally with a bit of static on the end ;)

Offline toadlife

• OFPEC Old Skool
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFP Editing Center Toad
    • toadlife.net
« Reply #6 on: 26 Aug 2003, 06:41:17 »
Hmm... not so much.

OFP will stick a bit of static on the end to make it sound like there is radio squelch.

However it doesn't alter the actual sound file. So if your sound file sounds like it's just a guy talking to you (ie. you don't use band pass), you'll get a guy talking normally with a bit of static on the end ;)

Not true. Ofp will play a contant stream of static in the background of any sound file defined as a radio message. You can test this by creating a 5 second 'blank' sound file and testing it in OFP as a radio file.

I've allways used the graphic equalizer in Cool Edit to do radio files, but have never added static.

The static is different depending on weather or not the radio transmission is incoming or outgoing. Incoming messages have alot less static than outgoing.

Here is an example (Click on them):

Original Recorded Sound (with band pass filters added)
Played through OFP - Incoming
Played through OFP - Outgoing
« Last Edit: 26 Aug 2003, 06:42:16 by toadlife »
"Whenever you want information on the 'net, don't ask a question; just post a wrong answer." -- Cancer Omega.

Offline Sui

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
« Reply #7 on: 26 Aug 2003, 10:25:22 »
Ooops... yeah, you're right toady mate ;)

It does add some static in the background....

Must have missed it due to me horribly garbling all my radio files on purpose ;D

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
    • Bob's Un-official Flashpoint Page
« Reply #8 on: 10 Jan 2004, 17:11:34 »
I recorded some static from my normal radio ie, recorded static from FM and MW (I don't have long wave). Then i just mixed it in.
James Andrew Wilkinson 1977 - 2005 R.I.P.
"If it ain't the friggin' incoming it's the friggin' outgoing. Only difference is who gets the friggin' grease, and that ain't no friggin' difference at all."