Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Geographical names  (Read 435 times)

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
Geographical names
« on: 03 Dec 2003, 15:18:50 »
OFP maps do not have much in the way of names.    Towns and villages are named, but that's about it.     The consequence of this is that mission designers have to make up their own names, or not use names at all.    This makes missions less fun.    Too many Intros start with something like  "On the small hill overlooking the bay with the funny shaped island - you know the one, it has two houses and no trees."    What we need to do is create commonly accepted names for places.

I propose that this thread should be the starting point for such a list.    Everybody is welcome to contribute.   If we get more than one name for a particular feature, that's fine.   Mission designers are free to use any of the names suggested, or one of their own: the point of all this is that it gives you a choice.   In the fullness of time it may be possible to publish maps with all the main features named.

Please post the island, the grid square, the feature, the name, and the originator of the name and the mission in which it was used if applicable.   I'll start.

Malden

Name:       Kassalon
Place:        Hg69 - medium sized island
Origin:       macguba - Lookout!

Name:        Lighthouse island
Place:         Hf53 - small island
Origin:        macguba - Lookout!

Name:        Wilson's Point
Place:         Ge52 - peninsula
Origin:        snYpir - Operation Axe-point

Everon

Name:      Rookie Woods
Place:       Ed69 - wood
Origin:      macguba - Remember the first mission of the original campaign?   You formed up here before the attack on Morton.
« Last Edit: 03 Dec 2003, 15:37:22 by macguba »
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

m21man

Re:Geographical names
« Reply #1 on: 03 Dec 2003, 16:08:01 »
Could we try to keep the same theme as the original names? Most of the original places had names that sounded a bit French (La Trinite, Montignac, La Riviere...) so it would sound better if the new names had the same sound. Anyone here speak French and would like to give us some suggestions?

Offline Doolittle

• Contributing Member
  • _this select 0
« Reply #2 on: 03 Dec 2003, 17:43:56 »
Since all the islands are based on real life islands, why not use names from those real life places?

Doolittle

Offline Igor Drukov

• Contributing Member
  • Conscientious Subjector
« Reply #3 on: 03 Dec 2003, 17:57:27 »
Hey folks !

I'm French, so here are a few names of the area where I live in Normandy and of other parts of France (I think they're pretty cool and would fit on an OFP map) :

* Mézidon
* Les Andelys
* Bellegarde
* Verneuil
* Marchenoir
* Ecommoy
* Mondoubleau
* Villers-Bocage
* Bressuire
* Plombières
* Is-sur-Tille
* Saulieu
* Fère-Champenoise
* Abancourt
* Serqueux
* Saint-Aubin-du-Courmier
* Loudun
* Arques
* Beuvron-en-Auge
* Les Forges
* Saint-Léger-du-Bosq
* Sennecey
* Domfront
* Saint-Sulpice-Laurière
* Levroux
* Ernée
* Vouziers
* Maintenon
* Barentin
* Senonches
* Serquigny
* Marmande
* Bergerac
* Aubenas
* Fleurance
* Pierrelatte
* Lancrans

If you want more, I can get you as many as you want...;)

Ig.

Skorp1on

« Reply #4 on: 03 Dec 2003, 20:43:27 »
Are the French towns/cities above well known or are they in remote areas? It would sound pretty stupid if you named that 'small island with two houses and no trees' Rouen! You're right, they do fit in though...

Offline Igor Drukov

• Contributing Member
  • Conscientious Subjector
« Reply #5 on: 03 Dec 2003, 21:28:13 »
Hey !

It would sound pretty stupid if you named that 'small island with two houses and no trees' Rouen!

Lol.

Don't worry, none of these towns is big. They're all villages.

Ig.
« Last Edit: 03 Dec 2003, 21:29:04 by Igor Drukov »

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #6 on: 03 Dec 2003, 23:53:54 »
In the first instance I'm more concerned with collecting names that have already been used rather than inventing names for places - that's easy and fun.    Have you used any names in your published missions?   Do you recall any names used in other people's missions (SP or MP) that you have played?

However, I like the idea of obscure French villages for the unnamed hamlets on the Everon and Malden.   Alternatively, we could use some names from the real islands on which the Malden group are based.    We've still got lots of outlying islands, hills, bays, peninsulae and other features to think about.    
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play