Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Airplane damage  (Read 1144 times)

Dubieman

Airplane damage
« on: 03 May 2004, 20:18:54 »
How about any new planes or helicopters have panels and stuff fall off with more and more damage instead of cracked windows?

Like my WWII air combat sim. You shoot up the midsection right behind the pilot and some of the paneling comes off or big 20mm cannon (you heard me right, my Bf109 has some big gunz) holes. Sometimes you could knock off the whole tail, elevators, rudder, or parts of the wings. THe best one was popping the engine off (loss of central mass and no power makes plane spin and free fall lke a skydiver attached to a dumpster.

Anyways your F18 is dogfighting this MIG29 and then you get an open shot and yoour cannon hums as you mash the trigger. The MIGs rudders flop away in the breeze as you watch him try to turn. You continue on him and start working your way towards the cockpit. Big holes are covering the fuelsalodge when !kaboom! you hit his fuel tank and he goes up in a giant fireball.

So there's my idea, damage textures for planes helos, or anything.  ;)

Coldfire

Re:Airplane damage
« Reply #1 on: 03 May 2004, 21:07:05 »
Well, i dont know enough about scripting/modeling to say if it's possible or not, i would asume it is since there's already damage models like broken windows on helocopters...

As for the visual effects, the Idea of a Helo getting it's tail blown of then going into a tail spin while parts of the helo go flying off in every direction :wow: ;D Sounds like fun!

Offline Nemesis6

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 05 May 2004, 21:29:51 »
Well, for the fireball, try the effectpack from Maxpain, providided with the ORCS Zil-131

ftp://www.gamezone.cz:8021/ofpd/unofaddons2/zil10.rar
If the link doesn't work, remove the :8021

When you've installed at least the Effects.pbo from the rar file, put a plane in the editor, and put this in its init field - [This] exec "\Effects\planevzriv\planevzriv.sqs"

When the unit gets over 0.7 damage, watch what happens.

Other effects -

[This] exec "\Effects\vzriv\vzriv.sqs" <----- General explosion
[This] exec "\Effects\vertolvzriv\vertolvzriv.sqs" <-----  Midair explosion (Maybe only for choppers?)
[This] exec "\Effects\Planesled.sqs" <----- Fuel-loss/smoke for aircraft?
« Last Edit: 05 May 2004, 21:34:23 by Nemesis6 »
I am actually flying into a star... this is incredible!

Dubieman

« Reply #3 on: 06 May 2004, 01:57:50 »
I'll try it thanks. :)

EDIT: Errrrr 16.8 MB on my poor 56k? :-\ I don't think so just for some particle effects. I was kinda hopin someone made something resembling the CAT effects. ;)
« Last Edit: 06 May 2004, 01:59:33 by GuiltyRoachKilla »

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2004, 19:27:32 »
I guess you could have the new dammage textures
As for stuff falling of, doubt it :(
You'd need to settexture the bit thats hit, and then camcreate the falling part (Wouldn't look good at all)

I'd love a "heli-tail be gone" thing.. Could make some really cool cut-scenes :)

- Ben

Dubieman

« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2004, 19:53:44 »
Gimbal used the rocks that come out of the ground when a grenade, motar, missile, rocket , or big gun is used. He made the Gimbals tossers. These civvis throw these "rocks", vodka bottles, and TVs.

Your telling my you couldn't have all this stuff and any other stuff that's created come out of the explosion? ??? :P

PS: Don't like vehicles crumpling up like paper  when destroyed. Pisses me off. ;)

Offline Colonel_Klink

• Members
  • Independent Addon Creator
    • DC3D Game Modelling Zone
« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2004, 03:19:19 »
PS: Don't like vehicles crumpling up like paper  when destroyed. Pisses me off.

I agree totally. I've been experimenting woth swapping objects with a damaged version of those objects. The only problem is sometimes there is a definite hesitation when OFP swaps the objects. I think this is caused by OFP having to load the new object.
On the next release of the fishing boats I have managed to preload the damaged versions with some good effects, however it does need some improving to avoid the  hesitation.
It would be nice to be able to include the damaged model in the same p3d file as a separate set of damaged lods, but I think that is a long way off yet for OFP, may be in OFP 2.
Rebel without a pause...D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2004, 17:11:16 »
What about at the beggining, load all the dammage models somewhere (Then delete them?) and move (Or remake) them in position..?

- Ben

blackhawkdown132

« Reply #8 on: 25 May 2004, 01:30:22 »
i thought hat Desert Storm mod was doing a aircraft damage script?