Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Urgent! Is "say" only local?  (Read 722 times)

Offline Zayfod

• ECP Team
  • Llama, softest natural fibre in the world.
Urgent! Is "say" only local?
« on: 08 Nov 2003, 08:54:43 »
That is -- if I use "createvehicle" to create an object on one client  and that one client runs a script that tells the object to "say" a sound--all the other clients will hear it wont they?

As opposed to camcreate, where that object simply wouldnt be on the other clients machines--so they obviously wouldnt hear it.

Hmmmm tests appear to indicate that an object created with createvehicle and then told to "say" a sound from the "one" client is not heard on the other clients.

Do I need to get all the client to tell the object to "say" the sound?

PLz reply if u know the answer quick.

cheers

Zay
"I have come here to kick ass and chew bubble gum......an I'm all outta bubble gum!"

Offline Dinger

• Contributing Member
  • where's the ultra-theoretical mega-scripting forum
Re:Urgent! Is "say" only local?
« Reply #1 on: 08 Nov 2003, 20:50:06 »
yes
Dinger/Cfit

Offline Zayfod

• ECP Team
« Reply #2 on: 09 Nov 2003, 00:58:09 »
Sorry Dinger, plz excuse my thickness.

Yes to what?

Zay
"I have come here to kick ass and chew bubble gum......an I'm all outta bubble gum!"

Offline Dinger

• Contributing Member
  • where's the ultra-theoretical mega-scripting forum
« Reply #3 on: 09 Nov 2003, 01:14:26 »
second question
Dinger/Cfit

Offline Zayfod

• ECP Team
« Reply #4 on: 09 Nov 2003, 01:56:00 »
ok so

if I use "createvehicle" to create an object on one client  and that one client runs a script that tells the object to "say" a sound--all the other clients will hear it wont they?

Answer is yes.

Thanks mate ;)

Zay

Steel

« Reply #5 on: 09 Nov 2003, 22:14:53 »
Actually, I don't think it would work, or if it does, there could be serious problems that are likely to occur.

The reason is becasue the client is the one that is running the script, the other clients may receive the script output or info very late in the event of Desync (sp?) during a game meaning that the other player's won't see what or hear what the client running the script has seen or heard.  I hope this makes sense.

Offline Zayfod

• ECP Team
« Reply #6 on: 10 Nov 2003, 04:26:19 »
Yer--hmmm

Hmmmm tests appear to indicate that an object created with createvehicle and then told to "say" a sound from the "one" client is not heard on the other clients.

may have to just keep it local due to variance in connection speed.

Zay
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2003, 04:28:37 by Zayfod »

Offline Killswitch

• Members
  • Peace, cheese and ArmA
« Reply #7 on: 15 Nov 2003, 10:35:42 »
ok so

if I use "createvehicle" to create an object on one client  and that one client runs a script that tells the object to "say" a sound--all the other clients will hear it wont they?

Answer is yes.
No, the answer to "If I use..." is "no". Look what Dinger said - he answered yes to the statement 'Do I need to get all the client to tell the object to "say" the sound?'

Again: if you want something somewhere (be it local to or created on a server or on a client, no difference) to say a sound, you need to execute the say command on all client machines for all to be able to hear it.

The same thing goes for drop and many other visual/audible things in OFP. (addMagazineCargo is a nonvisual one of the same type, btw)

Then, as to confuse you even more  ;D, some commands should only ever be executed where a unit is local. Action is one of them, setDammage another. Ever experienced a (scripted) ejection script that kills almost  everyone by having them plunge to their deaths? Ever had AI:s in your group not get out of a helo after a insertion script? No, its not "buggy OFP" or "lag". Some dumbo just did unit Action ["eject", vehicle] on each and every machine. Don't do that. Only where unit is local. ::)
« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2003, 10:37:58 by Killswitch »

Offline Zayfod

• ECP Team
« Reply #8 on: 16 Nov 2003, 03:39:06 »
No, the answer to "If I use..." is "no". Look what Dinger said - he answered yes to the statement 'Do I need to get all the client to tell the object to "say" the sound?'

Yes, you are quite right. My mistake. I musta been very tired.

I incorrectly presumed dinger included the actual Title ques also. That being
Is "say" only local?

I was wondering why my results were contradicting this. Thanks for reconfirming Killswitch