Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: some help please :(  (Read 3846 times)

sabreblade

some help please :(
« on: 31 Oct 2003, 20:23:06 »
hi, i'm SB and i just joined OFPEC. from what i saw its great and all you lot are experienced OFP players. i couldn't find an actual thread to put this message in so i thought i'd do it here. the problem is a few things:
1)i want some civilians to be on the resistance side so they will be shot by east soldiers when the "setcaptive" command is turned false. i know all teh trigger basics but none of the "civilian1 side = west" stuff works even if people on other sites have told me that stuff. in one of the first missions of the resistance campaign you see east people killing civilians as they take over the town. i wanted this to happen in my mission as it is a kind of counter terrorist mission which involves stealth and stuff.
2)i want a machine-gunner on the hill to be able to fire upon a group below. i can't work out how to use the "knowsabout" command so that say a person called SoldierOne would see a group in his visual range but actually detect them without me having to be the commander and tell him that the enemy is below for him to shoot them. i've used the "setviewrange" command so he can see them anyway but he wont detect them.
3)i want a person to do the "strokegun" attack onto someone which i can do. it kills the guy in one hit but he wont stop firing and keeps on hitting and looking at the sky. the ACTION"strokegun" doesn't wrok as it does no damage. if there is no way to solve this issue, is there a way to make the guy do the action "strokegun" and a trigger happens when he finishes which makes the guy he does it to fall and die or get hurt.

i would appreciate it if you could help me and all those command turorials really helped me out. these are making my mission building very hard and if you have time it would be great if you could reply. thanks for reading this.

SB      :-[ ??? :(

Kaliyuga

Re:some help please :(
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2003, 21:38:35 »
1)  People are going to tell you to edit the mission.sqm file... cause for some odd reason they always do..... lol ;D

but what you want to do is this:

make an officer of whatever side you want your units to be on ....

and then group the units to him using F2 and dragging the blue line over..

then put this in the officers init line:

deletevehicle this

when the mission starts.. the officer will get removed from the game.. but whomever was grouped to him will still think they are on the same side as he was ;)

easiest way to switch sides

2) you can try to use the reveal command :

Command: Reveal

Description:
Causes a unit to reveal the location of another unit. If the revealing unit is in the players squad then the player will see a target indicator appear where the revealed unit is located. If the revealed unit and the revealer unit are within range then the revealer will open fire.

Syntax:
revealerUnitName reveal revealedUnitName

revealerUnitName is the name of the unit that is revealing another unit
revealedUnitName is the name of the unit that is being revealed

Example:
Westunit1 reveal Eastunit2

3) Strokegun can be tricky...you really have to be right up on the guy to make it work at all.....  
 I just saw another similar post on this the other day.. if I can dig it up I'll come back and toss up a link for ya ;)

:cheers:  

« Last Edit: 31 Oct 2003, 21:39:02 by Kaliyuga »

keou

« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2003, 23:26:13 »
2) you can try to use the reveal command :

Command: Reveal

Description:
Causes a unit to reveal the location of another unit. If the revealing unit is in the players squad then the player will see a target indicator appear where the revealed unit is located. If the revealed unit and the revealer unit are within range then the revealer will open fire.

Syntax:
revealerUnitName reveal revealedUnitName

revealerUnitName is the name of the unit that is revealing another unit
revealedUnitName is the name of the unit that is being revealed

Example:
Westunit1 reveal Eastunit2

i hope you don't mind me piggy-backing on this post, but on the reveal command, is it possible to do so to an entire team (so that if the leader dies, the rest might be revealed)?

sabreblade

« Reply #3 on: 01 Nov 2003, 16:29:07 »
problems  :-\   :
1)east don't shoot the civilians even if i put them on the resistance side. if i make the civilians have a gun or summit they will shoot the east guys but not the other way around :'(.
 i just had an idea:   when you kill a lot of people on your side they shoot you and the east will shoot a civilian if they kill a lot of people on their own side. well is there some way you could tell an east bloke that the civilians are dangerous and have killed lots on their own side so maybe the east peeps will try and shoot the civilians. just a thought and i don't think it'll be possible.  :-\

2) it seems that the enemies are too far away for the machine-gunner to shoot them by himself. the machine-gunner can shoot enemies at that range if i become on his team and right click on the target, he then says "2 target soldier" and kills the enemy himself. this is really getting on my nerves
« Last Edit: 01 Nov 2003, 17:53:13 by sabreblade »

moondogy

« Reply #4 on: 01 Nov 2003, 18:23:18 »
for 1. prob: check with who resistance are friendly with: click on that icon (in mission editor) where the clouds and sun is (right upper corner) and choose the resistance is friendly with nobady or west...

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #5 on: 01 Nov 2003, 18:32:11 »
I think Kaliyuga already told you how to solve the first problem........read his post again.

I tried this myself, so I know it works.

I put a Resistance officer on the map and then 4 civilians.
I grouped the civilians to the Resistance officer and in his init field I put:

deletevehicle this

I put an east infantry squad nearby and watched.
The east squad wiped out all the civilians AND the civilians didnt have any weapons either.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
« Reply #6 on: 01 Nov 2003, 21:37:42 »

hi, i'm SB and i just joined OFPEC...

:o Where are yer manners, d00ds!  ::)  -------> [ofpec_old_timers]

:o Now, this is how we welcome n00bs at ofpec ------->  :D Hey-ho sabreblade, and...

[size=12]Welcome to the sewers of Editing!!![/size]

;D 8) hope you'll have a neat stay, m8  :-* this is the best editing ressources site on the net!  8)

As for the q's - planck and kaliyuga are right about #1.  :)

The alternative is to alter the "mission.sqm" file
but thats not really important here, as the other metod works fine.

If ya don't want the Mgunner to fire at the enemies (but wait untill they're closing in)
then why not remove the magazines or set his "combatMode" to never fire.... 'till the enemy is close?!

or maybe I just don't get the question?  ??? :)

sabreblade

« Reply #7 on: 02 Nov 2003, 19:35:19 »
thx tomb for teh warm welcome  :)

planck i tried it again and yes it did work....but it doesn't if you have "setcaptive true" on the 'resistance sided civilians' then with a trigger change it to false AT NIGHT don't ask me why its different but its definately a bug. if its past summit like 18:50 or so, the east wont detect the 'resistance sided civilians' even if they have NV goggles on and wont fire upon them.

its a bit dodgy how the machine gunner CAN fire upon the group from far away but wont. my group is standing still, not moving and he will only actually shoot them if he's nearer. its imperative for the mission that he is that far away and i dunno how i'm gonna solve it.

it looks like i'm gonna have a load of other probs in the making of this mission and i appreciate your help people......d00ds  :)
SB

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #8 on: 02 Nov 2003, 22:04:40 »
Well, I checked this and you are correct.

OFP soldiers apparently will kill the civilians only if it is 18:45 hours or before.

Even at 18:45 they have to think for a bit before shooting, but at 18:40........no problem.

So, between 18:45 and 05:00 hours they wont kill them, though at 05:00 they also need to think about it for a bit.

Putting up a street light does not make a difference, nor apparently does NV goggles.

However, if I run a little script from the activation field of a trigger I can get them to kill anytime.

At the beginning of the script each civilian is set to setcaptive false, then I just told each soldier in the east squad to target and fire at a different civilian.

With an 8 man squad this meant each civilian had 2 soldiers targetting him and firing at him.

I just used:

soldier1 dotarget man1;
soldier1 dofire man1;

soldier2 dotarget man2;
soldier2 dofire man2;

etc

I dont calim to be a script wizard but I was just experimenting.
I'm sure there is a more efficient way of writing this script.

Anyway........they will shoot them every time with this method.

Hope this helps a wee bit.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

sabreblade

« Reply #9 on: 02 Nov 2003, 22:14:46 »
woah thx planck   that really helped.
gtg bed time   lol

B-2-0

« Reply #10 on: 03 Nov 2003, 05:25:14 »
I have the answer to your machinegunner problem 8)

I personally use this for some badass, long range, take u out from 900m with one shot, snipers but it will work in this case ;D

Place yourself as a west soldier on a clean map.

Now get an east guy set to full skill level and place him fairly close, making sure he has a good view of you.  U could put him in a bush or something for your mission so he is out of view if need be.  Call him 'spotter' and copy and paste this into his init field

Code: [Select]
removeallweapons this; this addweapon "binocular"; this disableAI "move"; this setunitpos "down"; [gunner] join spotter
Note we take his weapons so the bugger can't shoot u in the back and give him binos ;)

Put your east MG'er quite far away, about 5-600m should be all u can get i reckon but experiment.  He should preferably be in a slightly elevated position from his target and have a clean line of sight.  He should also have full skill.  Call him 'gunner'.  

Now copy and paste this into gunner's init field....

Code: [Select]
this DisableAI "move"; this addweapon "binocular"
Group gunner to spotter.

Place a 'Move' waypoint on top of gunner, set behaviour to 'Combat' and leave everything else as default

Now....press preview and try and get away :o ;D

Experiment to see how far u can place him (and the spotter) away from u and him still get u.

Try it with a sniper ;)  I have had snipers with guaranteed 1 shot kills at 700m and 2 shot guaranteed kils at 900+ ;D

Welcome to the forums and happy editing! ;)

sabreblade

« Reply #11 on: 03 Nov 2003, 19:50:13 »
still on the bit with the strokegun    :(
thx B-2-0  by the way, helped A LOT.

its great how u lot help n00bs like me get to grips with OFP. thx in advance for posts in the future on this topic.  :-*

Offline Tyger

• Former Staff
  • I was at OFPEC when it still had dirt floors...
    • OFPEC
« Reply #12 on: 03 Nov 2003, 21:45:23 »
Well, for the stroke gun prob, you might try and create a script.
First, activate the stroke gun command, and time how long it takes for the action to complete.
Then, make a script like this:

_killer = _this select 0
_killed = _this select 1

_killer action ["Stroke Gun"] ( Is that the command, my memory's failing at the moment ::)

~2

_killed setDammage 1
"People sleep soundly at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

MSG Mike Everret - We Will Never Forget - '75-'08

sabreblade

« Reply #13 on: 03 Nov 2003, 22:11:05 »
hmm don't understand that fully.... is   _killer    the name of the person or something else...   don't understand it cos i'm a n00b.  :(

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #14 on: 03 Nov 2003, 22:16:28 »
What Tyger forgot to mention in his excellent reply was how to call (=start) the script.    You would do it like this

[loon1, loon2] exec "StrokeScript.sqs"

loon1 is going to be the killer and the dude named loon2 is gonna get whacked.     If you're not familar with this stuff read snYpir's Friendly Intro to Code snippets and also Johan Gustafsson's Scripting Tutorial.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play