Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: North Devon Terrain...  (Read 11847 times)

Offline CBFASI

• Contributing Member
  • Endure All
    • CBFASI's Homepage
Re:North Devon Terrain...
« Reply #15 on: 26 Aug 2002, 17:38:16 »
I will answer a few questions...

RAF Coningsbury, well I dont know it, and thus have significantly less referance material.

RAF Brize Norton.  Even worse I have flown out of that and its too big.....

NAFFI's, Married Quarters.   Yes am doing them.

This terrain is a real location, I actually live just 2-3 miles from the eastern edge of it, thus can easily go an look over the terrain I am doing.

As for GD theres very little I am aware of but that can be altered by mission designers.  I do know a couple of years ago the base went on high alert and several sandbag positions appeared.  

The base was only active upto 1996 and is no longer an operational RAF base, which is another reason for doing it, less of a security risk..

I have the road layouts sorted but dont actually know the positions of buildings such as the NAFFI, Headquarters, etc...... so I will be making educated guesses unless I can get hold of someone whos been in the base.

At the moment I am restricted to whats available in OFP, but a large portion of the fencing is now placed (several hours) and the base is looking more like a military base now.

The map is not that complete yet and I estimate that less than 20% has been done so far.

I do not have O2 access yet, and until that happens there is only so much I can do with the map..
CBF Shipbuilding

FltSgt

« Reply #16 on: 28 Aug 2002, 15:40:01 »
Having had a bomb around the area, how are our American brethrin going to cope with the roundabouts?

SEAL84

« Reply #17 on: 28 Aug 2002, 16:51:30 »
Very slowly, leaning on the horn ;D

Offline CBFASI

• Contributing Member
  • Endure All
    • CBFASI's Homepage
« Reply #18 on: 28 Aug 2002, 17:25:40 »
Well to make it worse I am going to try and do some British road signs, with all speed limits in MPH.

Don't forgot we drive on the left here too so all signs etc that relate to a certain side of the road will be on the correct side..

As you may also gather a select few have been allowed to see my map direct, they can really tell just how little is actaully done....

I am in the process of testing the ability to re-texture pre-existing objects with limited success..
I can get the textures on, but the objects will no longer load into WrpEdit....

This means no new buildings or roadsigns or fences etc..... until I can solve this.

CBF Shipbuilding

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #19 on: 28 Aug 2002, 17:30:33 »
new road signs - ask stt, he made new ones for his desert map (no O2)

as for driving on the left - you will need to redifine the roads so that the AI will drive on the left instead of the right like on the other islands

:thumbsup:
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Offline CBFASI

• Contributing Member
  • Endure All
    • CBFASI's Homepage
« Reply #20 on: 28 Aug 2002, 17:39:55 »
I thought the AI drove in the middle....(just like many of my friends...)

I think the re-textureing is not going to be problem but Wrpedit is at the moment.  Until its fixed I am a little stuck as I can only use whats already available.
CBF Shipbuilding

FltSgt

« Reply #21 on: 28 Aug 2002, 17:59:42 »
The AI does generally drive in the middle but when two vehicles meet, they will (when they don't crash) pass on the right.

Offline CBFASI

• Contributing Member
  • Endure All
    • CBFASI's Homepage
« Reply #22 on: 29 Aug 2002, 12:45:30 »
The little problem I had, well its been solved and heres a piccy of what effect its had on the unfinished Married Quarters.

Although the buildings look good, when you get close you spot that the 3d model windows and doors don't match, and until I get O2 it will do, as in the end these are temporay.

I will be altering the texturse as I am not happy now I can see them in game, but thats only a minor problem now...
CBF Shipbuilding

Marksman

« Reply #23 on: 29 Aug 2002, 20:43:06 »
Looking damn good pal  :thumbsup:

Just a suggestion, (dunno how easy it would be to do tho):

Where a road meets another road (like the T junction near the bottom of the pic), the textures look unrealistic.

Is it possible to edit the tire marks on the roads, so instead of just stopping dead, they connect up. So for the T junction example, there would be curved tire tracks that connect up.

Does that make any sense ???  :noo:

I'll post a pic of what i mean in a sec

p.s the Defining Airstrips tut is now available again, have a look at snYpirs topic "OFPEC Wrpedit tutorials"

Marksman

Offline CBFASI

• Contributing Member
  • Endure All
    • CBFASI's Homepage
« Reply #24 on: 29 Aug 2002, 20:53:10 »
I could solve those tiremarks out but it would require altering the road layout to use the existing T junction and I am not happy with doing that

I will look at the original maps as I am sure there are a few locations that do just the same.

Oh I found the runway/ils zip I have. I adjust and re-positined the runway and taxi positions but its not working right now...  

I havn't a clue whats wrong..the planes dont even taxi now, they just trun to the correct heading and take off (or try to)
CBF Shipbuilding

Marksman

« Reply #25 on: 29 Aug 2002, 21:07:25 »

[attachment deleted by admin]

Marksman

« Reply #26 on: 29 Aug 2002, 21:09:09 »

[attachment deleted by admin]

Marksman

« Reply #27 on: 29 Aug 2002, 21:17:57 »
Hmmm, so busy with my great artwork, i didn't see your reply :)

Sounds like you've got one of the co-ordinates wrong.

Could you post the config.cpp up, just the ilsPosition, ilsDirection, ilsTaxi..  bits, and i'll take a look

Also what kinda "shape" are all your taxiing waypoints in?

e.g. the official ones were rectangular

up the runway, turn right, then right again, down the taxiway, turn right, right again, back onto main runway.

Marksman

UK_SKA_RULES

« Reply #28 on: 29 Aug 2002, 22:48:05 »
Ive just checked out an aerial photo of the airbase your working on and its looking good.. cant wait till its finished

DeadMeatXM2

« Reply #29 on: 07 Sep 2002, 17:13:57 »
Any updates CBF?

I really would like to know how this island is going, and when, maby, we could expect a beta version.

btw, i'm a Brit, and i really want to see some more decent British kit and terrain in ofp - for this one mate you have my full support (especially if you need a beta tester ;))

Cheers
« Last Edit: 07 Sep 2002, 17:18:46 by DeadMeatXM2 »