Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: a power up noise to go with nvg's turning on  (Read 2814 times)

BronzeEagle

a power up noise to go with nvg's turning on
« on: 18 Oct 2003, 20:50:41 »
nuff said.  

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
Re:a power up noise to go with nvg's turning on
« Reply #1 on: 18 Oct 2003, 23:40:46 »
I've never used a pair of NVG's that made any noise when they were turned on  :P
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Knut Erik

« Reply #2 on: 18 Oct 2003, 23:51:00 »
I think they make noice... Everyone have played Counter-Strike and there they make this "turnOn" sound.. And CS is told to be VERY realistic so I don't know... Perhaps some NVG's make sound and some doesn't...  :)

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #3 on: 18 Oct 2003, 23:53:08 »
How many bullets to the chest can you take in CS and still run around?

Realistic my arse!
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

GrimMonkey

« Reply #4 on: 19 Oct 2003, 00:30:42 »
If it's any constellation,
Splinter Cell (the game) has a power-up noise when you activate the NVGs

Beware the GrimMonkey

KyleSarnik

« Reply #5 on: 19 Oct 2003, 03:28:29 »
CS is the most unrealistic game I have ever seen...  Weapons to accurate, to much armor (you can stand on top of a grenade while it explodes and not die), animations look stupid, guns are not very realistic... it sucks...

bigdog632

« Reply #6 on: 19 Oct 2003, 04:11:45 »
i dont remember the NVGs i used making a sound but it has been many moons...well aside from the click of the nob

bigdog632

« Reply #7 on: 19 Oct 2003, 04:12:08 »
you could make their batteries die though

Torak

« Reply #8 on: 19 Oct 2003, 11:51:25 »
Everyone have played Counter-Strike and there they make this "turnOn" sound.. And CS is told to be VERY realistic so I don't know...

ROFL!

CS, realistic? Sorry, mate, no way. I've tried CS, and it's utterly unrealistic. The weapons are totally unrelated to their real-life counterparts, they could just as well have had rayguns.

In the Swedish Air Force we had GN1 NVGs, and I can't recall them making any noise. Wouldn't be much point, really; then you'd have every guard dog in the area sniffing at you.

Offline Roni

• Members
  • Play the Game !
« Reply #9 on: 20 Oct 2003, 12:31:49 »
Actually, FWIW - the first night vision equipment was developed by the Germans during WWII.  One unit was called the Vampir and consisted of an IR nightscope and backpack power supply for use with an MP44.

I understand that the unit used to produce a high pitched whine when in operation so the Germans would keep the units off until they were needed.  The resultant "power up noise" gave the Vampir a nasty reputation - Allied night patrols wold generally dive for cover whenever (if ever) they heard it.

Nowdays of course everything is transistorised and literally uses about one hundredth of one percent the power.  Result - much longer operation, better light magnification and imaging and best of all - no giveaway "power up" noise.

So at least CS was on the right track - just 60 years of technology out of date !

Roni

PS - Read about one guys research of the Vampir here  - http://members.krypto.net/rcaswell/ssrg/ssrg_nachtalf.htm

DeadMeatXM2

« Reply #10 on: 20 Oct 2003, 14:24:57 »
Actually most NVG's do make a noise, however, it is only a very very quiet whine/whistle, and is easily over-powered by the slightest of noises (wind, walking etc)

The "power up" noise is made by the electrical circuitry and the actual light intensifiers charging up when the unit is first switched on, and is often [read allways] overdone in games.

The only way you'd really hear them is if you were stood still, listening carefully for the noise, in a quiet room. So not really a good application in OFP.

[Edit] Damn spellings [/Edit]
« Last Edit: 20 Oct 2003, 14:26:04 by DeadMeat »

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #11 on: 20 Oct 2003, 20:30:05 »
The "power up" noise is made by the electrical circuitry and the actual light intensifiers charging up when the unit is first switched on, and is often [read allways] overdone in games.

True, I guess. But keep in mind that NVG's only use 2 AA batteries. I can think of a lot of other electronic devices using 2 AA batteries that do make a slight "power-up" noise, but how much noise would you expect from such a small power supply?

DeadMeatXM2

« Reply #12 on: 21 Oct 2003, 11:25:25 »
True, I guess. But keep in mind that NVG's only use 2 AA batteries. I can think of a lot of other electronic devices using 2 AA batteries that do make a slight "power-up" noise, but how much noise would you expect from such a small power supply?

You'd be suprised

I do electronics, and have been messing about with circuits similar to this, and batteries are actually quite noisy, as are capacitors etc.

BUT you have to be listening really really hard to hear them...
« Last Edit: 21 Oct 2003, 11:26:06 by DeadMeat »

Mr_Shady

« Reply #13 on: 21 Oct 2003, 20:10:53 »
Have you been sniffing glue again Dead?  ;)

Meh, electronics at college never really rung my bell. All I need to know is how to turn it on, how to turn if off, and if it's going to explode in my face and burn my house down.

Mark McGrath

« Reply #14 on: 25 Oct 2003, 06:27:44 »
My night vision minocular always has a charge up sound (its gen2 russian)  anywanys it also runs  after you have turned off the switch meaning that a little hint of green can be seen from the eye piece.  just FYI.

Torak

« Reply #15 on: 25 Oct 2003, 12:25:30 »
Yes, but it's not exactly the sort of thing you notice in a combat situation. Perhaps the Swedish ones are quieter, but they made no more noise than the CRT of a TV.

Mark McGrath

« Reply #16 on: 26 Oct 2003, 07:17:50 »
I dont know I have been out and about and I can here the Security forces and Army power up from 10-15 feet away (real good ears :))

Torak

« Reply #17 on: 26 Oct 2003, 10:10:52 »
My hearing's pretty good by modern standards (despite being a drummer), but Mamma's is even better - she can actually hear the bats at home.

Anyway, here's the NVGs used by most of the Swedish military: http://www.soldf.com/gn1.html

Offline woofer

• Members
  • Honi Sout Qui Mal Y Pense
« Reply #18 on: 30 Oct 2003, 23:25:35 »
The first night optics I used used to make a hell of a noise.

At that time the British Army called them IWS (individual weapon sight - I can't find a photo).

It could be mounted on a SLR and latterly the SA80 series but made them a little too heavy to fire accurately without a rest. They have been replaced by the CWS

But those things were noisy. They emitted a high pitched whine when used, and could be heard quite clearly in (or approaching as an 'enemy') ambushes.

But on the up side you could see a lot further with them than the CWS