Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Changing Uniforms, etc.  (Read 1668 times)

Offline Insanoblan

• Members
  • Look! Im a chicken Marge!
Changing Uniforms, etc.
« on: 29 Sep 2003, 22:50:01 »
Okay this one is a doosey (to me)  :-\. I need a few things done. I have 3 west players called man1, man2, and man3. I also have a truck called truck1.

I need it so that when the men go to the truck, an action appears. The action will be "Take East Uniform". I want the action to make the screen go black for a moment and change their models AND side to east players.

The men then go into an east base blah blah.

Then i want it so that if ONE the men fire EVEN ONCE, they all keep the east models but change to the west side so that the east soldiers shoot at them. How do i do that?

Thanks - Insanoblan
« Last Edit: 29 Sep 2003, 22:51:28 by Insanoblan »
Hey kid, wanna see a dead body!?

Kaliyuga

Re:Changing Uniforms, etc.
« Reply #1 on: 29 Sep 2003, 22:58:02 »
 It's not possible to change uniform/model  ingame for the player  unless you have a cutscene/mission inbetween campaign style  

:P

Offline Insanoblan

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 29 Sep 2003, 23:02:46 »
Okay. So how do i make it so that when one of the men fires they all change sides?

Offline KJAM

• Contributing Member
  • Why Me, Whats it For?
    • Nightstalker mod
« Reply #3 on: 29 Sep 2003, 23:03:45 »
the only way i can see you doing this is by having the men already in the uniforms in the editor menu select WEST>MEN>WEST SPY which is basically a west unit that looks like an east one, and in each one's init box type

this setcaptive true

and the way to make it so that east will shoot them is that you need a trigger with the Activation By (or something similar) to be a FIRED event handler (or something like that im not too familiar with it myself so ask someone else lol) and then in the ON ACTIVATION box type

man1 setcaptive false; man2 setcaptive false; man3 setcaptive false

assuming you named them man1 man2 and man3

wish i could help you with the FIRED event handler thingy but i dont know much about it

Kaliyuga

« Reply #4 on: 29 Sep 2003, 23:18:35 »
or..   knowing that simply grouping a unit to a higher ranking unit , the unit takes the side of whomever is  now in command...

you could assign the East guys to a Western soldier's group and they would instantly be on the West side..

you could kill off the West soldier with setdammage or by simply deleting him ( deletevehicle unitname) once the side change had been made
:cheers:

mikeb

« Reply #5 on: 29 Sep 2003, 23:56:55 »
i had made a mission which was part of a campaign where you changed clothes by putting 2 missions together.  not great but it can work in some situations.

I mentioned it briefly and in more detail in the following thread:

http://www.ofpec.com/yabbse/index.php?board=8;action=display;threadid=13320

Offline Insanoblan

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 30 Sep 2003, 01:04:37 »
Okay cool. So how do i make it so when they fire the enemies fire at them.

And how can i make an action show up so when you go to the truck and pick "Take Clothes" the mission ends.

KyleSarnik

« Reply #7 on: 30 Sep 2003, 04:57:20 »
init of player:

this addeventhandler ["Fired",{if {_this select 1 in ["weapon"]) then {do something}}]

where weapon is the classname of players primary weapon. You could also put ["weapon1","weapon2","weapon3"] and so on for different types of primary weapons, and _this select 2,3,4, or 5. 2 is secondary (AT Weapon), 3 I think is riffle grenade, 4 is handgrenade, smokeshell, and i think "put", and i dunno what 5 is. "do something" is whatever you want to do, kinda like activation feilds, and you could also execute a script.

In trucks init:

this addaction ["Take Clothes","script.sqs"]

where script.sqs is the script activated by the action. It must be a script tho but anything you can do in an activation feild you can do in a script (except setidentity, but thats irrelevent)

Offline Insanoblan

• Members
« Reply #8 on: 01 Oct 2003, 03:31:04 »
Okay then how can i make a script that makes the screen go black, the words "Great Job", and then the briefing shows up.

KyleSarnik

« Reply #9 on: 01 Oct 2003, 03:32:11 »
titlecut ["Great Job","BLACK OUT",2]

then to make it black back in use BLACK IN instead, and 2 is the time it takes to black out.

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #10 on: 01 Oct 2003, 07:13:49 »

or..  knowing that simply grouping a unit to a higher ranking unit , the unit takes the side of whomever is  now in command...

you could assign the East guys to a Western soldier's group and they would instantly be on the West side..

you could kill off the West soldier with setdammage or by simply deleting him ( deletevehicle unitname) once the side change had been made

Not true. Grouping a west player into an east group will not change his side. The east units will still fire upon him.
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Kaliyuga

« Reply #11 on: 01 Oct 2003, 07:20:46 »
I seriously beg to differ... I do it all the time..  just tried it again in the Mission Editor for the hell of it ...

it works ;)

I'll provide an example mission if you want

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #12 on: 01 Oct 2003, 08:14:33 »
I'll provide an example mission if you want

Please do. But first, try my example mission proving you wrong  ;D

Opening up the mission, you will find yourself (western soldier) behind an eastern soldier. You are both in separate groups. Radio 2 and a hint shows what side you are on (west). Radio 1 and you will join the eastern soldier. Using the radio on the map, you will see that you are still on the WEST side. Also, the east guy will now turn around and kill you, thus proving that you are NOT on his side just because you joined his group, and proving that Barron is the Supreme Lord of the Universe, and Kaliyuga is nothing.  ;D
:tomato:
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Kaliyuga

« Reply #13 on: 01 Oct 2003, 08:29:23 »
 lol.....  we're both right.. in a way..  ;)

I see what you're saying now..

dynamically grouping someone to a unit of the opposite side doesn't work ..  that's proved by your mission ..

But...  it does work if you're grouped to that opposite side when the mission starts.

like if you place 10 East guys on the map , group a West soldier to one of em in the Mission Editor .. ( (F2) not via init command.)   and  they'll all get along just fine

So.... like I said... we're both right.. just neither of us were specific enough in our answers the first time around .... ;D  

I never knew it didn't work dynamically...  (mid-mission) though so that's good info ...

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #14 on: 01 Oct 2003, 08:39:26 »
lol... Okay, I get it too. But I believe that Insanoblan was talking about changing groups dynamically in game to begin with.

Offline rhysduk

• Former Staff
« Reply #15 on: 01 Oct 2003, 11:07:40 »
This is a question and no offense is intended ;D

Why is this thread in the ADVANCED Section of the Editors Depot if Isnablon.. or whatever his name is ;D cannot make a simple Script for chat ..

Hey im no genius at OFP Editing ;D
Reviewed Missions Board: Please Read the User's Guide before posting!

Pride and Joy 1 (HW100-T)

mikeb

« Reply #16 on: 01 Oct 2003, 11:47:33 »
well, you're the first person to question it in 15 posts!

I don't think this is advanced stuff either (although i couldn't have answered the eventhandler stuff) but to Insanoblan anything beyond using the options on the editor screen could be advanced.

the purpose of dividing up "general" and "advanced" is mainly to split the number of questions and so people who know they don't know much don't need to bother go into the advanced section to try and help people out.  similarly, you're more likely to get an answer if people have an idea of your editing expertise.

Otherwise I don't think it's really an iron-clad rule if noone complains.  i think it should have been moved if it was addon-related or something but otherwise the line between "advanced" and "general" is not easily defined.

oh and i real your pain.  i'm no master either!  :-\

Offline rhysduk

• Former Staff
« Reply #17 on: 01 Oct 2003, 23:41:49 »
I am !  :)

I wonder if any of the Staff will enlightne us all on the "Advanced" and "General" question of the forums ;D

Thx Mike for the reply ;D

Rhys
Reviewed Missions Board: Please Read the User's Guide before posting!

Pride and Joy 1 (HW100-T)

Kaliyuga

« Reply #18 on: 01 Oct 2003, 23:56:57 »
Why is this thread in the ADVANCED Section of the Editors Depot if Isnablon.. or whatever his name is ;D cannot make a simple Script for chat.

The thread isn't about that question ;)  It's just one that came up in the mean time.

And as far as the General vs. Advanced question goes.

It's just what Mike said pretty much ....  If you look at the people doing the bulk of the posting in this board it's definately not the same as in General Editing.

Some of the more advanced editors/scripters in the community only visit a few boards on the forums, this being one of them. I know a few people who hardly ever go in the General Editing board.

The questions are usually alot easier and get answered alot quicker in General, as you can see by comparing the amount of traffic on each board.  

But personally, I'm not going to tell someone their question isn't hard enough for the Advanced board.  ;)  

« Last Edit: 01 Oct 2003, 23:57:25 by Kaliyuga »

Offline Insanoblan

• Members
« Reply #19 on: 02 Oct 2003, 01:17:57 »
ALright thanks alot everyone! My problem is figured out, and you are all great :)