Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Logics and triggers vs. Waypoints  (Read 1456 times)

Offline SEAL84

• Members
  • Always lurking
Logics and triggers vs. Waypoints
« on: 02 Oct 2003, 20:22:28 »
Hey all,

I was having some problems with the AI following waypoints in a mission I'm working on, so I scrapped the waypoints entirely and decided to use triggers and gamelogics.

It got me wondering though....are waypoints ever really good for anything?  You read everywhere not to give a human player WPs because they're unreliable, but what DO you use wp's for?  I'm just wondering, because the logic/trigger combo seems to be easier.

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
Re:Logics and triggers vs. Waypoints
« Reply #1 on: 02 Oct 2003, 20:24:36 »
It's and easier way, you can faster set the speed, formation, etc. without any commands. And some WPs are advanced, such as Guard, which will take a bit to script.

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

KyleSarnik

« Reply #2 on: 02 Oct 2003, 21:00:33 »
WPs are your freind! But it all really depends. WPs can do a few of things that using triggers and game logics can't. But using triggers and game logics are better for scripting and are better for less complictated erm.. moving... you see waypoints are better if the unit has to move around alot. But if a unit just has to move from point A to point B then just use triggers and gamelogics if you would like to. You can also but WPs over buildings and then you can make AI move to one of the defined (defined in p3d i think) places. And finaly they are better for players, because you can put text in the WP that will apear instead of MOVE or GET IN or SEEK AND DESTROY (or any WP), and so on....

Offline SEAL84

• Members
  • Always lurking
« Reply #3 on: 02 Oct 2003, 22:34:15 »
And finaly they are better for players, because you can put text in the WP that will apear instead of MOVE or GET IN or SEEK AND DESTROY (or any WP), and so on....

Only if they play in cadet, which most people don't.  I've had very negative feedback on giving a human player any WPs at all because most people play in veteran mode and won't see them anyway.

KyleSarnik

« Reply #4 on: 02 Oct 2003, 23:14:14 »
Well I really wouldnt know... but how would using triggers and game logics make them know where to go anyways????

Offline rhysduk

• Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: 02 Oct 2003, 23:48:34 »
@KyleS

Wouldnt u use the getPos and then the doMove commands to make the soldier, tank etc to move to the gamelogic...

I might be wrong ;D

Rhys
Reviewed Missions Board: Please Read the User's Guide before posting!

Pride and Joy 1 (HW100-T)

KyleSarnik

« Reply #6 on: 03 Oct 2003, 00:05:42 »
I know that! Im talking about players, whats the difference if it wont show up then. WPs are so much easier and even if the dont show up to the player, domove wont either...

Offline SEAL84

• Members
  • Always lurking
« Reply #7 on: 03 Oct 2003, 00:24:45 »
Being able to see it isn't the issue.  It's fairly easy to know where to go if you set the mission up right.  Example - right now my platoon parachutes into an LZ and is supposed for form up so that everyone is ready before they get moving.  Before you actually jump, I have the LT remind everyone to form up at the house on top of the hill.  If you're paying attention, you can't possibly get lost.  Later on it will be something like "secure the northern checkpoint" or something.  Using an easily identifiable landmark makes actually seeing the WP unnecessary.

I'm one of those people who thinks that you shouldn't have specific "go to position 123xyz" orders.  Nobody ever does that IRL.  Orders are a lot more general - like "go take that hill."  Easy enough to set up a trigger that covers that.

I'd expected one of the great forum gods to give a long dissertation on the usefullness/uselessness of waypoints, but I'm not gonna get one  :'(

For all practical purposes, question answered.

Kaliyuga

« Reply #8 on: 03 Oct 2003, 00:32:35 »
 There are some circumstances where waypoints work much better (for AI)

Guard Waypoints:  These Rule.. hands down..  learn em.. live em.. love em.. ;)

Support Waypoints: Great for Medics/Repair/Rearm  vehicles

Cycle Waypoints: Combined with a switch trigger for good patrol response ;)

Transport Unload waypoints: Works a charm for Choppers, nice and simple.. less to go wrong.....  Drops off all the dudes and waits for em all to be out before moving off.

In general, I never make waypoints for player controlled groups and use them sparingly when dealing with AI....    

The real beauty is.. like everything else in OFP .. there are always at least three ways to do everything you can think of
so it comes down to what works for you and your mission and what you like I guess
« Last Edit: 03 Oct 2003, 00:34:13 by Kaliyuga »

Offline SEAL84

• Members
  • Always lurking
« Reply #9 on: 03 Oct 2003, 00:47:42 »
Yeah, I agree with that, Kali.  Those special WPs for the AI are probably the only use I'll get out of them now - I think I'm going to wean myself off the WPs 'cept for those.

*remembers the days when Kali wasn't a mod*

Damn, I've been away from this place for too long  :P (yep, same SEAL  ;D)

« Last Edit: 03 Oct 2003, 00:48:10 by SEAL84 »

Kaliyuga

« Reply #10 on: 03 Oct 2003, 03:33:44 »
lol.. yeah It has been a while hasn't it  ;D

welcome back
:cheers: