Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Vietnam: French forces  (Read 2897 times)

Norfolk

Vietnam: French forces
« on: 10 Sep 2002, 00:18:09 »
Even though the conflict between the Vietnamese and the French colonial forces wasn't really much to talk about, anybody ever consider making French paratroopers or anything of the sort as addons for a Vietnam pack.

Also, I understand one thing at a time since the latest version of the Vietnam pack is being worked on and looking great, but I was just curious if anybody ever considered making addons for it. I mainly got to thinking about it after seeing a Battlefield: 1942 Vietnam Mod being worked on. Playable as French, U.S., South Vietnamese, VietMinh and so forth. ;D

(Oh, and to save time, I know BF: 1942 and OFP are two different games and it makes it different to work on because of it, I am just posting this to get other peoples thoughts if they ever thought of possibly making them.)
« Last Edit: 10 Sep 2002, 00:19:47 by Norfolk »

EX_GRUNT

Re:Vietnam: French forces
« Reply #1 on: 10 Sep 2002, 03:13:25 »
Yo!

Viet-French conflict not much to talk about? UNDERSTATEMENT! It would make a great mission.
( or more ). You can find two different Unit Addons
right here on this site. Skaven and Platton_ablaze
have each made French Foreign Legion Addons.
Problem is, they are post Vietnam. Hey, it's a start!
Just change the weapon load-out.

...................... :cheers: GRUNT.......................................

Frosty

« Reply #2 on: 10 Sep 2002, 09:56:13 »
It appears that BF:1942 is stealing the public away from OFP. BF42, i dont know why, has really unrealistic weapons. The british use the colt .45 which has a 8 round clip. They also use the BAR with a 30 round clip. hmmm

Offline Nixer6

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 10 Sep 2002, 11:03:17 »
Another major blub of genius!

Well lets see, we could model FFL pow's or body bags ::)

Could someone explain ???

Pass the Calvados  please! :cheers:
« Last Edit: 10 Sep 2002, 11:04:01 by Nixer6 »
Why do I have to be a Rocket Scientist to make a good mission?

Norfolk

« Reply #4 on: 10 Sep 2002, 23:15:54 »
Well I didn't exactly mean it the way I said it. "Not much to talk about", what I meant was it isn't much to talk about because it's difficult to get a lot of data about the conflict. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

And the reason BF: 1942 is popular is because it's doing what WWIIOL wanted to do, and it's drawing the public from mainly away from WWIIOL more than OFP. Plus OFP takes like 6 months to do a single addon and BF: 1942 is supposidly easier to make addons for. BF also has ships and better planes. But I am still addicted to OFP personally because of the single player element... multiplayer isn't that much fun anymore compared to MOH or BF, unless it's coop (my personal opinion, others may disagree). Just when they start releasing addons or updates for Battlefield: 1942 making it more realistic, MOH and OFP crowds may shrink from a little to a lot.

Back to the subject though of OFP. EX-Grunt, you made a good point about the French legion. But the weapons are off, what I was meaning was realistic to the 1950's French forces with their rifles... maybe Mars911 could do something.  ;)
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2002, 03:20:50 by Norfolk »

Chomps

« Reply #5 on: 11 Sep 2002, 05:12:48 »
Sure, BF1942 may be good, so the sequel to OFP will have to beat it.  Competition is good.  ;D

ollie

« Reply #6 on: 11 Sep 2002, 05:45:51 »
I have played Battlefield 1942 and I must say I do enjoy the games flying simulation that the games engine allows for aerial combats and etc, a feature I enjoy a lot (realistic very feeling too, I believe it gives one). Battlefield 1942 did what MOH: AA, WIIOL, and OFP I think (to my opinion) lacked in flights simulations and in sort of other areas involving virtual combat, both Single Player and Multiplayer (even though OFP game engine wasn't designed for such simulations, sort of all around game). Please, do not get me wrong also, I am not stating that OFP is not such a good game anymore, indeed it still is, especially with the Vietnam Pack 2.0 coming to release. I'm really looking forward to playing OFP both SP and MP with the pack. One thing OFP still conquers over all other game's is that its virtual battlefield freedom, that is the one thing I love about OFP over all other game's out there as of right now, even Battlefield 1942 couldn't achieve that, but OFP has.
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2002, 05:52:47 by ollie »

Thud

« Reply #7 on: 11 Sep 2002, 19:17:49 »
LOL, BF1942 is a bit of fun i have to admit ( for two hours but that's personal) but saying that the flight modeling is 'realistic very'!?!

It's a (crappy) arcade game, which has its pro's and cons but never use 'realistic' and 'BF1942' in one sentence. You want to have aerial combat, go play Aces High.

BTW, did just look out of the window and saw a Dauntless with a load of 15!! Torpedoes outturn a Zero without losing energy. Am I on crack, oh never mind, it's BF1942...

Vyper

« Reply #8 on: 11 Sep 2002, 20:04:21 »
The Viet-French Conflict was never publisised nearly as much as the viet-us one was.......

Most people think of it as not as famous or big or whatever because the french lost....this makes it very interesting and good for OFP!

Vyper

viper172

« Reply #9 on: 11 Sep 2002, 20:24:15 »
people don't know about this conflict that lasted 8 years from 1946 to 1954 and had many french and vietnamese soldiers lose thier lives i personnally had 4 uncles that fought there and one died overthere so i had some info about it it's just that there was no or few media coverage on this conflict ppl where still coping on the ww2 conflict that was a major tragedy (sad isn't it?)

Vyper

« Reply #10 on: 11 Sep 2002, 22:03:30 »
It went on for longer than 1954...........1955 is the last battle as far as i'm aware

The Massicre in the Ia Trang.

I don't know much about it but i am pretty sure that was in 55

Vyper

viper172

« Reply #11 on: 12 Sep 2002, 01:03:29 »
that's affirmative my friend you are right ;D

EX_GRUNT

« Reply #12 on: 12 Sep 2002, 05:16:35 »
Your all right ( on different aspects ) The french-Viet conflict
was not covered much cause it was the late 40s early, mid, late 50s...kinda like many conflicts eh? In the Nam, it was a friggen free-for-all ( for the press ). A lot of brave People lost their lives in many wars and conflicts across this globe. I want to take this chance ..on this date...september 11. 2002. to say one thing. PLEASE PEOPLE..... Respect thy fellow man.
It don't FRIGGEN matter if he is white or black, Man or Woman Musl, Jew, Chris, Buddist... Gay, straight, Democrat or Republican.. WHO FRIGGEN CARES!!!!

WE ARE ALL THE SAME!! :D

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:  

Norfolk

« Reply #13 on: 14 Sep 2002, 08:19:08 »
Wow... I expected this idea to drop to the bottom quickly. Anybody good at mod making actually want to take this idea and run with it? And like it was said above, since this isn't subject discussed commonly, it's more interesting. I suck at making addons, but any of you pros out there with the skills who want to do it, please do! Especially since the fields of WWII, Vietnam (U.S. conflict), Falklands, Gulf War (hopefully we wont see a second anytime soon, since the first took care of the problem enough as it is. And yes, I am an American so this isn't a European point of view.) and Afghanistan are covered already.

Vyper

« Reply #14 on: 20 Sep 2002, 21:25:01 »
I like the idea.....

MOD team, form up!

Vyper