Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: 2 sound fx, one works other won't  (Read 539 times)

Offline mcnorth

• Members
2 sound fx, one works other won't
« on: 10 Sep 2003, 09:21:35 »
This is one nasty little headache! I've been messing with sound effects and just when I think I've got it Some obscure pain in ass issue pops up and I haven't got a clue.

The attached sample mission has two sound effects. They were both converted identically. One will play and the other won't. The description.ext is as follows.

class CfgSounds
{
   sounds[] = {FX1, FX2};

class FX1
   {
      name = "FX1";
      sound[] = {"FX1.ogg", db+80, 1.0};
      titles[] = {};

};
   class FX2
   {
      name = "FX2";
      sound[] = {"FX2.ogg", db+80, 1.0};
      titles[] = {};

};

};

I think the problem has to be in the sound file itself but I've been over it 20 times and can't see anything wrong.

Thanks!!!

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
Re:2 sound fx, one works other won't
« Reply #1 on: 10 Sep 2003, 09:38:11 »
I've had similar problems and it came to me that sound files must me over a certain size. I though it was 20kb but now seeing your 14 and 10 kb files I'm not so sure anymore.

If you don't think of anything else, try increasing the filesize with some sound editing tool somehow m'kay  :)
Not all is lost.

Offline mcnorth

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 10 Sep 2003, 09:44:47 »
That's an interesting thought! I'll try it. Thanks for passing it along.

Offline Sui

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
« Reply #3 on: 10 Sep 2003, 14:51:32 »
I've had similar problems and it came to me that sound files must me over a certain size. I though it was 20kb but now seeing your 14 and 10 kb files I'm not so sure anymore.

Yeah, I can confirm that.

However I no longer believe it's linked directly to size... I've had 9kb files that worked fine and 18kb files that didn't.
I generally will be sceptical of anything under 15kb however, and if there are issues that's the first thing I check.

She's awfully fiddly for some reason :P

Offline Black_Feather

• Former Staff
  • I'll never forget you Daisey.
« Reply #4 on: 10 Sep 2003, 17:35:42 »
I think its just length. 1.5 seconds always seems to play but 1 second doesn't , all you have to do is add some silence to the end of the file and it will be ok.

Offline mcnorth

• Members
« Reply #5 on: 11 Sep 2003, 01:02:30 »
I finally go this to work! After re-converting the sound file as "stereo" instead of "mono" it plays fine. Still using constant bit rate and 44,100 hz. I'll try adding some silence to the mono version to see how that shakes out also.

Offline mcnorth

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 12 Sep 2003, 10:22:46 »
I've come to the conclusion that the better solution is to add the silence. The converted stereo file plays fine as a CfgSounds but not at all as a CfgSFX.

Thanks for the help guys.