Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: The Great Escape type of mission  (Read 521 times)

Joe_Damned

The Great Escape type of mission
« on: 12 Aug 2003, 06:58:20 »
Ok I am currently reading "The Great Escape", and I decided to take Flashpoint out of a dusty old chest locked away in a dusty old vault hidden on a secret island............ You get the point.

I know NOTHING about scripting, all I know how to do is waypoints.

So I am going to build a camp with barbed wire and "Goon Boxes" (Machine gun nests).

And there will be patrollers (which I think I will need help making them walk around correctly, or will a waypoint work effectivly?)

Anyways the character must start out with no gun (scripting help please) and after he makes it outside of the camp I will make a trigger that plays the alarm music.

Now once the alarm music is played I want a chopper to lift off and start sweeping over the island, as well as troops change their normal camp patrolling routine and head out into the forest or wherever I choose.

So I need:

1. Scripts to make the character start with no weapons

2. A way to make it so that once my alarm trigger goes off units will try to find me.

3. A way IF possible to make it so that if an enemy spots me once I escape from the camp the mission fails.

Offline KJAM

• Contributing Member
  • Why Me, Whats it For?
    • Nightstalker mod
Re:The Great Escape type of mission
« Reply #1 on: 12 Aug 2003, 07:12:51 »
i dont know much about scripting either, ill try and show you a few things that you need in a simple demo with some of what you want,
i was gonna tell you how but i think better if i show you :D ill pm you soon.
the weapons you dont need scripts for just init syntaxes, anyway ill do a demo for you, nothing fancy just the basic stuff.

so far what ive done is

- removed players weapon

-set a unit to do a simple 1 man patrol in safe mode

- made a trigger so that if the player LEAVES the area the trigger covers and 3 things happen
1. pilot and gunner get in aircraft and take off
2. it plays the alarm sound
3. switches the patroller from safe to combat.

- make player enemy to other units on map and set him as a captive i.e they dont shoot at him

- make it so once player leaves designated area he is no longer a captive so a.i will shoot him

right im done, see what you can learn from this
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2003, 08:24:21 by KJAM »

Joe_Damned

« Reply #2 on: 12 Aug 2003, 14:59:41 »
I don't know if I mentioned this but I just started flashpoint up again, and I don't know where to put missions and stuff or how to play them, help!

Offline KJAM

• Contributing Member
  • Why Me, Whats it For?
    • Nightstalker mod
« Reply #3 on: 12 Aug 2003, 15:21:20 »
well extract the whole file to the operationflashpoint\users\yourusername\missions and there ya go

addons go in
operationflashpoint\addons

or

operationflashpoint\res\addons

zsa_zsa_rasputin

« Reply #4 on: 12 Aug 2003, 17:11:08 »
first off - you're gonna want to make your PoWs - "Sepcaptive true"! Otherwise all the guards will just open fire straight away!
I also think the alarm should give you a bit of a head start...
Say theres a patrolling group that checks each of the huts every now and again.
If the player isn't in the building when they enter it say, then they run out to an alarm and trigger it.
Also - as Im guessing this will be a night break, you could have the guards stop you and force you back to your hut if they catch you out?

I know you probably don't know how to implement a lot of this so far, but most of it is quite simple and can be done without a great deal of fiddling.

But as I said - the most important thing is to set your Pows as captives.
You do this in the "Init" field of the unit's properties in the editor.
Simply type in "This setcaptive true" to make a unit a captive.
To remove his weapon you first need to know what wepaon he has.
Then its simply a case of going back into the "init" field again and typing something like:
"This remove weapon "m16""

Anyway - hope this helps - if you want anything else ask :)

Dan  ;D

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #5 on: 12 Aug 2003, 19:25:27 »
You won't need a lot of scripting for this - you'll be able to do most of it with waypoints and triggers.

There are lots of WW2 addons out there - consider using them to make this a real "Great Escape" mission.      

For the ending, I would suggest that if you are spotted and the enemy is too close the screen fades to black and a little cutscene is shown in which you are lined up against a tree and shot.

You can't really do tunnels in OFP so maybe you could leave a little gap in the wire instead.    Give the player a clue so he knows to look for it ... though after he's been killed trying to run out of the main gate a couple of times he may work it out anyway.   ;D

For the change in behaviour of the guards you need to learn about switch triggers - there is a tute in the Ed Depot, and several of the general tutes cover it too.    They are very easy to use and are exactly what you need.

Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play