Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: sound questions  (Read 1664 times)

Offline .pablo.

• Former Staff
  • When in doubt, empty the magazine.
sound questions
« on: 07 Aug 2003, 02:55:12 »
2 questions:

1: does anyone know where i can find a sound of a guy running, or of heavy breating?  (the one in ofp will work but idk how to extract it)

2: does anyone know how to simulate a radio conversation (what effects to use to get that scratchy voice)?

edit:  i've actually looked for both for a long time now, haven't been able to find anything, in case it sounds like im just bein lazy

thanks for any help!
« Last Edit: 07 Aug 2003, 02:56:25 by .pablo. »

Offline KJAM

• Contributing Member
  • Why Me, Whats it For?
    • Nightstalker mod
Re:sound questions
« Reply #1 on: 07 Aug 2003, 08:01:53 »
1. run around your house, til your knackered then record yourself recovering :p lol
2. erm dunno lol

Skanderborgvej

« Reply #2 on: 07 Aug 2003, 16:14:01 »

Offline .pablo.

• Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 07 Aug 2003, 23:08:47 »
i read that post and it doesn't answer my question.  when  people use a radio their voice is distorted, i want to know how to do that, not get the sound of radio static.

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #4 on: 07 Aug 2003, 23:12:55 »
There are sound editing tools available, even free ones, that can do an effect as you want. Try searching Google?
Not all is lost.

Offline .pablo.

• Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: 07 Aug 2003, 23:16:16 »
i did, i even have a tool, but i can't find any tutorials

SH@dow 113

« Reply #6 on: 05 Sep 2003, 20:04:49 »
how do i cut or fade a song in a cutscene?
(srry i post here but i don't want to open a other topic)

Offline Burn

• Members
« Reply #7 on: 06 Sep 2003, 04:58:12 »
1) www.sonomic.com... I did a search for u, and that link will take u to the result, just download the file u want and save target as, or u could search Google for the keyword "sound effect" and u should find more of those soud fx libraries :joystick:...

2) Try downloading GoldWave.
When U have finished downloading it, open up the speech sound or whatewer, and find the FX button... there should pop up a menu where u can play around with different effects, and radio static should be one of them...

Good luck :wave:
 :cheers:

Semith

« Reply #8 on: 06 Sep 2003, 08:58:43 »
Realistic radio effects include more than static, btw.  For example, you need to establish an upper and lower limit to the frequencies, like the tut says.  

Remember where the radio transmision is coming from!  In general, people are talking regularly or slightly louder than normal.  Combat produces yelling, while special forces being sneaky transmit at a whisper.  Another extra thing to do is add some background clutter.  Transmisions from aircraft usually have a high pitched scream in the background.  Armor has a lower pitched background noise.  Infantry in combat will have gunfire that gets recorded by the radio telephone operators.

These little details make a convincing radio transmission, and from there a convincing mission.  Ask any of the OFPEC guys, good sound (dialog, effects, and music) is one of the keys to expert missions.

SH@dow 113

« Reply #9 on: 06 Sep 2003, 10:27:49 »
1) www.sonomic.com... I did a search for u, and that link will take u to the result, just download the file u want and save target as, or u could search Google for the keyword "sound effect" and u should find more of those soud fx libraries :joystick:...

When U have finished downloading it, open up the speech sound or whatewer, and find the FX button... there should pop up a menu where u can play around with different effects, and radio static should be one of them...

Good luck :wave:

Thx Bizon i own u one  :cheers: ;D ;D ;D

but it seems my pc can't use those programs  :'( :'(
Is there a way to fade music in my cutscene with a trigger ??? ??? ???

Thx any how :cheers:
« Last Edit: 06 Sep 2003, 10:34:18 by Sh@dow 113 »

Offline Burn

• Members
« Reply #10 on: 06 Sep 2003, 16:22:27 »
@Sh@dow 113
I wus answering to .pablo. ;D... but your welcome.
The answer to your question is:

time fadeMusic volume

Operand types:
time: Number
volume: Number
Type of returned value:
Nothing
Description:
Smooth change in music volume. Change duration is given by time, target volume by volume. Default music volume is 0.5.

Example:
5 fadeMusic 0

comment »

macguba  August 08, 2003, 02:23  

time is in seconds.    Volume range is 0 (no music) to 1 (full volume).

That should be the answer your looking for :beat:

SH@dow 113

« Reply #11 on: 12 Sep 2003, 18:50:30 »
srry i didn't wanned to barge in like that, i didn'tt know that wasn't my awnser i appoligice (srry for bad english im Dutch u know)

time fadeMusic volume
where do i add this?

thx bro :cheers:

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #12 on: 12 Sep 2003, 18:56:41 »
Trigger:-

Activation:  as you like
On activation:      5 fademusic 0

Your English is fine.  :)   And it's okay to open a new topic when you have a new question.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline .pablo.

• Former Staff
« Reply #13 on: 13 Sep 2003, 05:14:29 »
lol havent been on these forums for about a month now (school started  :o)
just happened to notice this thread...

1) www.sonomic.com... I did a search for u, and that link will take u to the result, just download the file u want and save target as, or u could search Google for the keyword "sound effect" and u should find more of those soud fx libraries ...

yeah i looked through the libraries but none of the sound effects were what i needed, thx for your help though

yeah i did that but it still doesnt sound right

Realistic radio effects include more than static, btw.  For example, you need to establish an upper and lower limit to the frequencies, like the tut says.

did that

Remember where the radio transmision is coming from!  In general, people are talking regularly or slightly louder than normal.  Combat produces yelling, while special forces being sneaky transmit at a whisper.  Another extra thing to do is add some background clutter.  Transmisions from aircraft usually have a high pitched scream in the background.  Armor has a lower pitched background noise.  Infantry in combat will have gunfire that gets recorded by the radio telephone operators.

yeah i know

These little details make a convincing radio transmission, and from there a convincing mission.  Ask any of the OFPEC guys, good sound (dialog, effects, and music) is one of the keys to expert missions

well, i was kind of asking how to do it, not why  :P
but i guess thats my fault for not putting much about the context of the sounds, i hate putting more info out about my missions than i need to...

anyway, here is the effect i was going for (i dont have time to make the mission due to school). (edit: it was a vietnam mission)

these links are absolute fuckin gold, i know im gonna regret giving them out

http://www.manchu.org/sounds/lamson.ram
i was going to use this in the briefing.  you walk into the commanders room, he tells you what happened and then plays this on his tape recorder (while cam maybe looks out the window at some peaceful trees to contrast what the player is hearing).  only prob was i knew i wouldnt be able to give the mission the time i thought it deserved (a month or two of work)

http://www.manchu.org/sounds/fo-airst.ram
i was tryin to copy the way this sounds, but i realized the radio produces these almost random constant changes in volume, static, etc that i have no idea how to improvise.  the only solution i saw was to get a radio, say it over the radio, record it, then add combat sounds to the background.  i figured it wouldnt come out like i wanted (from experience with another attempt at sound editing) and so i didnt bother.

the problem i am trying to overcome is the clarity in a person's voice when they record with a coventional mic.  if you have compared your recorded voice to a clip of a radio you would know what i mean.

so that was what i was thinking originally

edit: and in case you didn't realize it, those links are to real recordings made during the Vietnam War
« Last Edit: 13 Sep 2003, 05:20:45 by .pablo. »