Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Invasion 1944 & SEB Nam Indirect Fire Mortar Scripts V1.0  (Read 3314 times)

Unnamed

Indirect Fire Mortar Scripts V1.0

Hi,

I've written some scripts for the Invasion 1944 and SEB Name Mortars, for Resistance V1.91. To assist in the role of indirect fire.

Here are some example missions to demonstrate different ways of using them, there is a Readme.txt in the zip file.

http://www.operationflashpoint.freeserve.co.uk/Inv1944Mortars.zip
http://www.operationflashpoint.freeserve.co.uk/SEBNamMortars.zip

If your interested, please let me know what you think, improvments e.t.c

Cheers
« Last Edit: 17 Aug 2003, 14:50:49 by Unnamed »

Offline Blanco

• Former Staff
Re:Invasion 1944 & SEB Nam Indirect Fire Mortar Scripts V1.0
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2003, 00:20:11 »
didn't tested yet
, but I have a problem with the inv44mortars... Does anybody know how to add ammo to the mortars?

Addmagazine doesn't work and AFAIK the ammoname of the USmortar is M2mortar... Can't remeber the ammoname of the German 80mmmortar but it's doesn't work either.
It's was a bug in the 1.0 version and it's not solved in the 1.2

Very interessed in this script anyway. :)

Search or search or search before you ask.

Unnamed

« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2003, 14:34:20 »
I could not get them to reload either,  it's as though the weapon fully stocked is defined but not the ammo on it's own?

It's was a bug in the 1.0 version and it's not solved in the 1.2

I assume SEB Name mortars are ok? I can't get into there Config files to see how they defined there Mortars.

Very interessed in this script anyway.

I've started looking for more info on there useage in WW2, but keeping coming across other applications.

And this scary little thing :)

http://www.metalstorm.com

« Last Edit: 19 Aug 2003, 14:38:55 by Unnamed »

Offline Blanco

• Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 19 Aug 2003, 22:36:49 »
Well done, I like it, very useful

Don't expect math Q from me , I'm X3mly bad it that :D

I'm glad I'm not the only one that can't reload Inv44 mortars ,I use the SEBnam ones instead , but can I use other ones too like the M224 mortar from SWISSmod when I change the Class names in the scripts? ...or is it more complicated than that?

Everything worked exept when I checked the version with the Forward spotter, OFP crashed to desktop. (only one time when I added some enemy tanks)

I noticed it lagged everytime when revealed a target and I guess it's that what caused the crash. But on Desert island it's not normal...

The other examples run well...

I don't know how it is in real life but are mortars that accurate?

Keep up the good (scripting) work!

« Last Edit: 19 Aug 2003, 22:46:24 by Blanco »
Search or search or search before you ask.

Unnamed

« Reply #4 on: 19 Aug 2003, 23:38:27 »
Don't expect math Q from me , I'm X3mly bad it that

Thank god for that :) I understood enough to convert the principle to OFP scripts, but thats about it. I just thought that if you could adjust an existing ballistics model to "look like" OFP's ballistics model. Then you're a step close to understanding how OFP works.

Everything worked but I had a crash to destop once when I checked the version with the Forward spotter.

I noticed it lagged everytime when revealed a target and I guess it's that what caused the crash.

What system specs do you have?

I'm suprised, the Forward Observer example is quite simple, it just checks a trigger every four seconds for any enemy you detect.

For me the Multiple Mortars example was the biggest Lag monster. Then more with the SEB Nam Mortars than the Invasion 1944 ones, I think that's down to the way the explosions are created.

I don't know how it is in real life but are mortars that accurate?

Perhaps now with GPS and all that, but not in 1944. In the examples the Mortars check range to target every four seconds, which is excessive. It should take at the most, minutes rather than seconds to range and launch a spotting round, then the spotter would adjust the fire accordingly.

I'm having trouble creating a decent AI spotter, as they refuse to use Binoculars for more than 4 to 5 seconds. But he should then report back Target position, heading and speed. The Mortars would then estimate the target depending on how long it will take a round to reach it. Each element of the process should be prone to error.

Once I get a better idea of how the above worked in real life, I hope to create some proper missions as examples.

I'm sure the way I'm using triggers is half of the problem. If you can spare the time, could I send you a revised version to see if it solves the problem?

Either way, thanks for the feedback.

Bruce Banner

« Reply #5 on: 29 Aug 2003, 13:46:25 »

It should take at the most, minutes rather than seconds to range and launch a spotting round, then the spotter would adjust the fire accordingly.

I'm having trouble creating a decent AI spotter, as they refuse to use Binoculars for more than 4 to 5 seconds. But he should then report back Target position, heading and speed. The Mortars would then estimate the target depending on how long it will take a round to reach it. Each element of the process should be prone to error.

Once I get a better idea of how the above worked in real life, I hope to create some proper missions as examples.

This would be very cool indeed!

Unnamed

« Reply #6 on: 30 Aug 2003, 22:55:22 »
There are plenty of examples of modern indirect firing procedures, I rekon the princples remained the same back in WW2. I'ts just the technology used to do the sums and locate your position that has changed.

http://www.adtdl.army.mil/cgi-bin/atdl.dll/fm/23-91/toc.htm

I'ts just a case of working out what to include and what not to.

Cheers

Bruce Banner

« Reply #7 on: 31 Aug 2003, 03:28:07 »
I would like to see a Vietnam vained script.

Unnamed

« Reply #8 on: 01 Sep 2003, 02:32:41 »
Do you know any good web sites about Vietnam? never really read up on it. I do know that using mortars in a jungle enviroment has it's own perculiarites.

I working on a Forward Observer Addon, so you can just plonk him on the map in the editor, with a minimal amount of scripting.

I hope to do the same with the Mortars, so using them when creating missions should be much simpler.