Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] Un-Impossible Mission  (Read 68314 times)

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
Re:Un-Impossible Mission
« Reply #450 on: 25 Oct 2004, 18:05:51 »
GRK yes please!   I've just got your IM, I'm a bit behind as I had houseguests this weekend.     The Briefing is not too long and the Overview is just, well the Overview...  there are about 20 lines of speech buried in the mission, don't try to find them I'll dig them out and post 'em.  I'm not quite sure what to do about the readme, its too long to translate.   Anyway, tomorrow (hopefully) I'll post a "translators' pack".  In the meantime, the Briefing and Overview are in the mission and you can start on those.

Many thanks.  :)

The latest version of the mission (0-64, which has been out for a couple of weeks) is here.

Edit:  I've attached a zip which is the "translation pack".   It includes the briefing, overview and a text document which has all the other bits and pieces (such as hints and cutscene dialogue) from around the mission.  

Thanks again everybody.
 :thumbsup:  :D

Translations are for sense:    I would rather have good French, Polish, etc.. than an exact, but awkward, translation.   What matters is that the player understands what's happening.

When you're done, post your translations in this thread or email them to me at arathorn@macguba.fslife.co.uk     If there are any questions, please just ask.   :)

« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2004, 19:18:27 by macguba »
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Dubieman

« Reply #451 on: 25 Oct 2004, 20:28:49 »
Thanks, I never have a whole lotta time these days, this little pack should help. :)

As for the translating, your right Mac, you gotta know verb tense and irregualar verbs, and expressions.

me gusta
you wold think I like
but actually its
it pleases me.

Rough but you get the idea. I've not seen many free translators that are good. :P

:cheers:

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #452 on: 25 Oct 2004, 21:05:46 »
Good translation is extremely difficult.    Also, the English in this mission is often very colloquial and therefore particularly hard to translate accurately and directly.     Fortunately, direct translations are not required:   as long as the rough sense is communicated, that is what really matters.

Needless to say I have already discovered something that has been missed out of the translation pack (it's a big mission, even I forget about parts of it) but rather than post it now I'll wait till I've found all of missing bits and post them all together.   It won't be much, I know the pack has most of it.

Cpt. Red Nain

« Reply #453 on: 27 Oct 2004, 11:43:42 »
1st part of the french translation
Don't worry, that's not the first translation i've ever done  ;D

Cpt. Red Nain

« Reply #454 on: 27 Oct 2004, 11:48:22 »
errrrm... i can't post the mission.sqm: too big even when zipped >:( >:(

-EDIT- forget about that, i'll use your translation pack. Expect reply in 2-3 days, 'got a lot of work (university and jobs  :-\)....
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2004, 11:51:46 by Cne. Red Nain »

Dubieman

« Reply #455 on: 28 Oct 2004, 00:06:41 »
Well, I finally got around to doing some. Translating isn't the most exciting thing in the world. :D

I'm about halfwaythrough the notepad doc, dunno about that readme. Its awfully big. Maybe just the smaller important parts. Starting the overview tommorrow. I expect to have the overview and notepad doc done by the end of the week at least. The briefing may be a bit longer, next week I think.

I don't think it matters to you, this mission has had 420+ replies so its been up awhile. What's another 2 weeks... :P ;D

cheers

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #456 on: 28 Oct 2004, 01:47:10 »
Forget the readme, its far too long and boring to translate.   There is a short version of the readme in the text document in the translation pack.

Dubieman

« Reply #457 on: 06 Nov 2004, 20:23:09 »
Wow the briefing was rather odd. I tried not to screw up any html stuff for ya, and I'm pretty sure your links should work.  ::) :P

But its done. And I didn't get to the readme in the translation pack though...

Hey here you go, the briefing has almost no english as does the overview, the text doc has espanol under the english.

Its in the .zip...

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #458 on: 06 Nov 2004, 21:56:54 »
:thumbsup:   Thank you!

I haven't had time to touch this for about two weeks.   :(    Will get it all sorted out as soon as RL permits.

Offline penguinman

• Contributing Member
  • Money is worthless, just paper, ink, and threads
« Reply #459 on: 02 Dec 2004, 06:17:05 »
holll-e-shat
how did it get so many posts?

u are quite popular macguba.

this must be the worlds best mission so i must try it

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #460 on: 17 Dec 2004, 10:53:05 »
I have been travelling a lot lately (I still am - it is 4am local time here in my hotel room), so have been out of touch with my games machine.  Anyway giving thought to lag (of both game and jet varieties), and based on my memory of the mission it occurred to me that some further optimisation might be possible.  

If I remember correctly there is a repeating trigger that is used to get a list of all the living loons.  This information is not needed very often but because it is a repeating trigger it is constantly taking CPU resource.  How about having a fire once trigger that fires at the start of the mission.  This would give a list of all the loons at the start, and then later when you need to know the living ones you could create a new array of only the living ones.  

So that the initial list was made up of individual soldiers and not a combination of soldiers and vehicles it would be necessary to select the crew of each unit, not just the unit.  Something like:

_units = list <triggername>
loons = []
_i = 0
#loop
_veh = _units select _i
loons = loons + crew _veh
_i = _i + 1
if (_i < count _units) then {goto"loop"}

This could be run at the start of the mission and with loons being a global variable it would be permanently available for the rest of the mission.

Syntax not guaranteed - I am just coping with jet lag and humouring my body clock.  Anything to avoid working.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #461 on: 18 Dec 2004, 00:11:57 »
It's been so long since I've had a chance to look at this I really can't quite remember .....  the problem is that the array is used in several different places at several different times - the new trigger replaced 6 or 7 old ones.    At the time it made quite a difference to looking at the map in the mission editor.

I did start making little loops and scripts, but abandoned the attempt as being too much like hard work.    Now I've forgotten too much, I'd miss something.    In principle you're right though, it would be better for lag.    However I feel this trigger is already pulling its weight in lag reduction.

Thanks for the thought - surprised to hear you're still thinking about it.   I haven't had a chance to touch it in ages ... still want to finish it though, may in the new year .....

@penguinman - yes, you are right.    ;D ::)   Well, it's certainly the most beta tested.

Dubieman

« Reply #462 on: 28 Dec 2004, 16:54:01 »
I hope this is almost ready for submission. You'll kill our poor missions depot staff, they will be out of work/school for days. ;D ;D

What's left to do anyways? :P

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #463 on: 28 Dec 2004, 23:32:08 »
I have been struggling with a problem of getting the original crew of a vehicle to get out and not get back in their vehicle.  The solution was a surprise, it seems unassignVehicle does not work on the original crew of a vehicle.  I cannot remember the details of Uphill.sqs but I think this might be an issue there.  Hence this post.

A solution is to assign one of the crew to grpNull and then assign the rest of the crew to that crew member.

Here is the link
http://www.ofpec.com/yabbse/index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=21193&start=0

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #464 on: 24 Jan 2005, 16:52:31 »
Just seen this and followed the link - I've answered there, it was solved in uphill.sqs.   Thanks for the heads up though.   (I was away over Christmas so I didn't see this at the time.)

I might be able to cobble together some time in the next few weeks to finish this.   There's nothing to do except make the translations work, although that's a bigger job than it sounds.
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2005, 16:58:18 by macguba »