Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Thats a joke, right?  (Read 2040 times)

Rubble_Maker

Thats a joke, right?
« on: 29 Jul 2003, 14:22:58 »
"getdammage" works on the server only???

So how the hell can my clients find out the health of a unit?

deaddog

Re:Thats a joke, right?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jul 2003, 15:04:17 »
getdammage works on all computers.  However, the client will have to send that data to the server via the publicvariable command.  Or possibly, the other way around.  ???

MP games are a pain, aren't they?  :)

Rubble_Maker

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2003, 01:04:31 »
To be exact, "getdammage" only works on the local machine.

But I solved the problem, I PV the damage now.

aazell

« Reply #3 on: 31 Jul 2003, 15:00:12 »
If all clients and the server are running the script then what's the problem?

If somone gets killed in an MP game they die on all connected users PC's anyway.

or am I wrong?

aaz

Offline Terox

• Former Staff
  • Follow the Sappers!
    • zeus-community.net
« Reply #4 on: 31 Jul 2003, 16:13:44 »
pv'ing variables helps in cases of packet loss etc, it makes sure all machines have the same value

and getdammage doesnt create damage, its simply reports how much damage a veh/object/player has

as for the transmission of this data,

if its a vehicle / object / ai, then the server will most likely keep track and control the damage to those objects

whereas what is most likely for a player, is that the Players client will report his dammage to the Server for the server to transmit to all
« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2003, 16:17:08 by Terox »
Zeus ARMA2 server IP = 77.74.193.124 :2302
Teamspeak IP = 77.74.193.123

aazell

« Reply #5 on: 31 Jul 2003, 19:15:37 »
Yeah that's what I figured.

In my recent MP mission I used no public variables and all clients seem to track the changes in the map correctly. I can understand why it would be neccessery where scoring is involved however the netcode at v1.46 seems to handle unit status quite well.

I refuse to buy resistance in order to improve the netcode. Why make maps that only some people can play?

Tactician

« Reply #6 on: 31 Jul 2003, 21:51:15 »
Don't buy resistance for the netcode, buy it for the extra addon and mission editing versatility.  And the campaign ;)

deaddog

« Reply #7 on: 01 Aug 2003, 06:18:26 »
I refuse to buy resistance in order to improve the netcode. Why make maps that only some people can play?

I think more people have resistance than not.  Dude, you're missing out on a lot.

aazell

« Reply #8 on: 01 Aug 2003, 12:05:51 »
I'm just saying that I think there is still loads of untapped potential in OFP 1.46.
MP missions so far for OFP have been lame.

For SP missions I can understand why you would want to upgrade. But for MP you should try to make the pbo file as small as possible and as universally playable as possible. There are plenty of new features you can add to 1.46 with just a bit of scripting.

As for resistance. It's probably true that the majority of this community have upgraded but I know that myself and my freinds havn't and I'm pretty sure there are a large amount of OFP players that have never visited this site. I have to cater for them too.

That's also why I don't use addons in my missions. It lowers the chances that someone can play it. Most casual players of OFP wont be bothered to play a mission if they have to download several large files beforehand and I've yet to find an addon that really affects playablility. Most are just for look and feel. The wet dreams of some Ranger or Navy SEAL obsessed editor don't really bother me.

In MP playablity is everything. The rest is just window dressing. I don't think your average MP player will really give a toss what the chopper they are using looks like.

Mr.BoDean

« Reply #9 on: 01 Aug 2003, 12:39:31 »
LOL , Aazell ...I totally hear you on this one. I resisted Resistance for most of a year now but finally gave in this week. Still trying to get used to some of the changes. Many are good ones, though. The MP Interface is nice and much faster DL'g missions, the Isand and buildings of Nogova are great and some of the other capabilities, too.
    I happen to love some of the addons (LittleBirds, in particular ....nothing in the original 1.46 handles or flies like them ...nothing!) but I can vouch for having a hard time filling up a coop room at certain times on GS and know it's nearly impossible to get a whole room full of noobies to DL addons and actually get em in the right folder! Not to mention the agonizing delay! Had I known converting a mission back to a non-Editor Upgrade 102 would be such a hassle,   ( see this thread: http://www.ofpec.com/yabbse/index.php?board=7;action=display;threadid=11539  )   :o  I would have deleted it from my addon folder before I started creating missions!!   :-X   Luckily, most serious players on RES already have the common addons or soon will.
   Code? I dunno know, but it's sure nice playing with people who I don't have to explain the basics of how to use their computer, much less the game!  ;D

deaddog

« Reply #10 on: 01 Aug 2003, 16:15:46 »
@aazell

I didn't really think about that in the multiplayer sense.  I've only played a few m/p games on GS so I don't know all the ins and outs of that style of play.   And you're right about not wanting to download any extra addons.  I always kept away from any games that required downloading something.

Offline Terox

• Former Staff
  • Follow the Sappers!
    • zeus-community.net
« Reply #11 on: 01 Aug 2003, 16:59:59 »
I bought Res for the multiplayer aspect

Hell i aint even played the RES SP Missions, nor ever will

Its a team game , very similar to realistic military teamwork (When its applied)

And as for improvements, Beats the hell outa 1.46, if it didnt folks wouldnt buy it,   get it bought and get on the Res servers

Nogova graphics and the island itself will be a refreshing change from what you must have been playing now for 2 years
« Last Edit: 01 Aug 2003, 17:00:35 by Terox »
Zeus ARMA2 server IP = 77.74.193.124 :2302
Teamspeak IP = 77.74.193.123

aazell

« Reply #12 on: 01 Aug 2003, 18:06:14 »
Just to clarify. I may buy Resistance. Im sure it's massive leaps and bounds ahead of the original and I could do with a change but when it comes to mapping for MP games I'll stick with 1.46 so that all can enjoy.

Just my way of thinking.

Jim